ROUTINE ON THE ROAD – REFUGE BY THE RIVERSIDE

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 11 times

Re: ROUTINE ON THE ROAD – REFUGE BY THE RIVERSIDE

Post by R.A.B. »

Chris Silver wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:54 am
Well, guaranteed the Band-Aid has been pulled off of the consumable rut and decadence of our existence. We have been forced into change be it both positive and negative.

In many ways, this year has been a refreshing awakening.

Life is like a game of chess. Sometimes you win, eventually you lose. Enjoy playing while it lasts.
I have so much to say these days, and this time around it is starting to make me uneasy. Maybe I should stop reading the news and return to having my smarter friends provide a more familiar and thoughtful interpretation of the events through their filters. I can always count on them to tell me what they are thinking and concluding when something important happens. This allows for more of a shared & essential approach to the conjured up sensationalism and controlled reporting of mainstream media since these friends are critical enough to filter the useless info out of our exchanges. Problem is that most of them are starting to keep to themselves under the growing confusion, contradictions and added restrictions of these times. No one really wants to discuss, let alone get together and speculate too deeply on what could happen if we don't get back to what we had as a more social way of life during what we can now affectionately recall as our forsakened familiar normality.

I think alot more people than we think are starting to freak out inside. It may only be a matter of time before those with less self-control and who lack the steady consciousness of being alive amongst others will eventually translate their disorientation, despair, and angst into action. Maybe a civil climate will continue to prevail as the government provides the appropriate dose of sedation and/or rubber bullets & pepper spray for those who can no longer see any sense to their lives because their routines are not coming back in the same fashion as before. The new world which is still very much in flux is no longer something they can understand or follow, let alone accept, so they simply react based on the old values for some sense of stability.

The band-aid Chris talks about in his quote above has indeed been removed and has exposed how non-essential most of the work we do to earn a "living" in this system really is. The fact that work and money is generally validated as worthwhile via the ability to acquire goods, property, status and private leisure and is suppose to be the measure which convinces us that we are doing well should be a dead giveaway. It is now clearer to more & more of us that all this crap (the making of and the purchasing of and the disposal of and the recycling of) is just stuff to keep us busy until we age and eventually "check out" leaving little trace of anything worth a damn except a truckload of stuff and maybe some offspring as replacement cogs. It is a hard thing to admit, let alone grasp - the idea that we are basically just tools for all this stuff going round and round.

That is where the last phrase of the edited quote above starts to make a new kind of sense. Finding ourselves alive and looking for meaning in this pandemic as small "b" beings is challenging at best. Unfortunately most "little brains" often refuse to accept their own insignificance as a starting point even in the face of a wider understanding of life from a big "B" Being perspective. There seems to be less individualistic arrogance when we wrap our heads around how Big life is, but first we must let go of what we have been led to believe. That is the starting point for getting out of that pathetic cycle of consumption described above. First admitting the void of meaning in what we have been told was meaningful (going to school, becoming domesticated, making lots of money, then planning for "the golden years" etc.) and now, through this pandemic seeing that all of what we were told was vital to our well being can start to erode in less than 6 months and start falling apart, and we are not done yet by any means. We need to be injecting new meaning and values as fast as we can into the things that are changing and being blatantly exposed by the removal of the band-aid which we applied over our way of life (especially in America) after the second world war. Yes, they were prosperous times after all the death and destruction which brought on the baby boom and the renaissance that followed in the 60's, but right now we are in the shitty part of that cycle. It will take time to get to the other side of a better life. It is a long process and cycle that will have to run its course regardless of those who still think that they are so important and essential to life carrying on in the way they want it to, we are not that important.

As we move forward, the real danger continues to lurk in stupidity and carelessness and reactionary behaviour which are all specialties of the little brains in this landscape of eroding values and beliefs. Stupidity in this climate is now becoming more deadly. It use to be laughable for the most part, but now it is turning into a hazard via loud exclamations & bold actions that can sometimes result in claiming other peoples lives who often had nothing to do with whatever was troubling the little brains that were not able to process some information or begin to understand what was happening to them inside or out because of an overabundant intake of whatever they interpreted via their limited filtering capacity and education, or complete lack thereof.

Yikes !!

With routines coming back into focus precariously, and very little tasting the same as it did previously, many are still desperately trying to hang on to some sort of anchor as instability and social unrest keeps growing. For each one of us who believes in getting to the next renaissance, it will take a busload of courage and resolve to stay the course of steady actions allowing for process. Essentially, the path is now to bullshit oneself and others who you care about who may be having a difficult time into thinking that life is worth living these days and give yourselves reasons to stay the course even if we don't know where this is going to end up. In a sense, it is just life making an adjustment and where & when it stops nobody knows. The condition of life has been bestowed on billions and billions and trillions of various beings. Having been thrown into it means nothing at all in itself, well at least until you make it mean something. So accepting this involuntary plunge means dealing with this type of crap and accepting uncertainty. We need to get to the next renaissance somehow, whether it begins to dawn in a year from now or in five, we need to go through this phase, even as many more of us than we know are having a rotten time. In any case, the older ones of us know that life just ends up becomes a maintenance program in the later years and that process becomes key to staying with it. Maybe there is something the younger wilder gens can learn from that in this here and now since we are asking them to give up part of what makes them thrive.

None of us should expect to generate much joy as an immediate goal these days, it can not take root, let alone sustain itself in this here climate. Mostly because of not having too many other people around you to uphold & nourish the concept of joy and peace and well being. These are tough concepts to fabricate, promote and maintain on your own. Quite the tough order this joy thing, but in the end, that is the reason we stay alive. Again, joy is a difficult state to maintain outside of a stable environment, however it will easily grow, prosper and survive during a renaissance. This pandemic has divided us in so many ways other than the obvious physical distancing we must practise. It has given our social nature a real kick in the pants, and the pain of that blow is reaching our brains now. And as stated somewhere before, there will be no dancing or body english nor jumping about for a good while yet.

Rab (i.e. kilgore trout)

Last edited by R.A.B. on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will then only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of occurences come hell or calm tides.

In real life I always preferred exceptional qualities in any normal state of affairs. But alas, many people have suddenly become exceptional via a world wide web of self-promotion upheld by the new dumb that it has made the quest for something truly exceptional much more difficult.

"Ah, you god damn writers, never a good word for anything. Hell, you never really know what the frag they will say or do next." My Alter Ego

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Yesterday I went to the North Star shop to use the desoldering station on a 7 digit numerical display glass that has no nipple on its back. I need one of those for a Black Knight I am in battle with for the sake of an eccentric client who has an amphicar & memories of playing Black Knight in his younger years.
DRIVING ON THE LAKE
DRIVING ON THE LAKE
Also made it to my parts locker to get some more stock for the Montreal Pinball home service calls which continue to loom. I admit to having very little desire to do the calls lately and realize that I am more apt to doing this type of work if I have someone with me. Good work, enjoyable work and accomplishments have always been better as a social activity in my mindset, maybe that is why I hated being in front of a screen all day at Player One in the last three years of that bad trip where I didn't interact with clients as much. Some like that, I don't. And when a client becomes a pain as they sometimes do, I turn it into fun. Simply just take their brain out and reinstall it upside down and see if it makes a difference in how they talk and listen. And in the best case scenario when a client is colourful, knowledgeable and smart I simply take the time to enjoy the exchanges and learn stuff from their disposition and this feeds my resolve to carry on with the work. Yet, the problem of working without much interaction these days still haunts me, especially in this pandemic. I do not see the point of working alone when there is so much more you can accomplish by working well with others. Maybe being on a two week vacation from Alouette has made me feel this way. Those 3 days a week of dealing with clients there is just the right dose as a work base as my patience thins. And since I am not there until next Monday and making it a two week hiatus, that may be why I am feeling a little incomplete and less human lately. Monday the 3rd is going to be pretty busy, so.......maybe wait until I become less warped to begin dealing with me again, say like the wednesday the 5th.
Back to Work.jpg
Back to Work.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
I anticipate that this distance from others is going to be a tougher practise in some ways come the fall and winter of 2020. The majority of us will tend to move towards the indoors and will sit for longer periods in front of some device or another instead of being outdoors sitting in the summer sun and wider open spaces. Winter sports I guess will be more popular for those who understand what it takes to avoid going bughouse.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will then only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of occurences come hell or calm tides.

In real life I always preferred exceptional qualities in any normal state of affairs. But alas, many people have suddenly become exceptional via a world wide web of self-promotion upheld by the new dumb that it has made the quest for something truly exceptional much more difficult.

"Ah, you god damn writers, never a good word for anything. Hell, you never really know what the frag they will say or do next." My Alter Ego

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Simple truth - all things that come into our lives by choice or circumstance and which we acknowledge by assigning them a name inevitably creates a relationship. A place, an object like a pinball machine or a video game, a friendship, a pet, an addiction, a vehicle, a hobby, a passion or peeve. In fact, any regular routine like activity or thing whether it be work, leisure or sport related, once you name it, that thing ends up creating a relationship with you.

On a side note, we also have the ability to remember these relationships when we are no longer involved with them, and this can bring on a vast gamut of emotions, but that is not what I want to share with you in this age of broken routines, abandoned pasts and just plain endings.

And so many of the relationships we create by naming them will end and/or be replaced in our lifetime, that is natural fact, - jack !

So when something leaves us, whether it be by choice or circumstance, it inevitably leaves an emptiness. The best way to see this emptiness is as an opportunity. Emptiness grows proportionally to how many things you let go of, are taken away, simply leave or are lost and have not yet been replaced, that is the only real cure for emptiness, never allowing one thing to end before at least knowing that another (hopefully a better one) will begin. It is all about your relationships which you maintain with whether with objects, occurrences or others. Some are simple some are complex.

"It left an emptiness, but by then I knew that everything good and bad left an emptiness when it stopped. If it was bad, the emptiness filled up by itself, if it was good, you could only fill it up by finding something better."

The above quote is in reference to no longer playing the horses in the 1920's. From the book "A Moveable Feast" by Ernest "papa" Hemingway
Last edited by R.A.B. on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Chris Silver »

I’ve always enjoyed your writings Robert. They give this monkey things to think about while trying to remember which button to push to get the cookie.

Regarding emptiness, I feel life is never completely full. There’s always a couple of drawers left empty to accept new trinkets. I would hate being forced to throw something out to make room for the new. A little bit of emptiness gives us inspiration, creativity and motivation to advance. Emptiness offers drive and purpose to aim for the brass ring whatever it might be in the moment. One of 42’s purposes is the unobtainable attempt to fill the drawers while the whole time pushing buttons to get that damn cookie.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man, Blackout, Alien Poker
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Chris Silver wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:35 am
I’ve always enjoyed your writings Robert. They give this monkey things to think about while trying to remember which button to push to get the cookie.

Regarding emptiness, I feel life is never completely full. There’s always a couple of drawers left empty to accept new trinkets. I would hate being forced to throw something out to make room for the new. A little bit of emptiness gives us inspiration, creativity and motivation to advance. Emptiness offers drive and purpose to aim for the brass ring whatever it might be in the moment. One of 42’s purposes is the unobtainable attempt to fill the drawers while the whole time pushing buttons to get that damn cookie.
Thanks Chris, I understand everything you wrote above.

Yet there are lots of things I can't understand which take place in daily life. And even when I give it a chance, and then again give it a real solid freakin' college try, I still end up questioning myself way before doubting the validity of the thing or action I am trying to understand which is inhabiting others and obviously controlling their behaviour. I say to myself, I must be missing something, because I just don't get how this is happening. This must be my shortcoming if I don't get this. And instead of getting defensive and angry like little brains do when they don't agree with something they don't like or accept as different and suddenly start spouting off their perspectives based on the education they have mostly received & accepted from parents who were not likely big thinkers, I will continue to question until I finally understand and finally have to shamefully and broken heartedly admit that some people are just extra stupid in how they let their lives go by and don't ever seem to wonder about what they think can possibly be a truth beyond their limited scope of vision. I think that this may just simply be a matter of fact, and I still can't grasp it as valid. Then again, kindness and understanding eventually prevail once again in my being as I understand that it is their choice even if they don't think they are making one, but when push comes to shove there will be less choice of actions for them to choose from. Maybe in their case, it is easier to fall by the way side when things get rough and maybe they are Ok with never "getting it". That idea that we must protect our ability to choose and act upon it as often as we can when things start to narrow down on us and choosing gets tough. Even if this latter limitation concerns me immensely, it may not matter to others, or they do not see a problem with not choosing. And what we have allowed to come forth by not questioning the conditioning taking place on the fate of the upcoming gens, we must understand this conditioning as not being something that will allow them to prosper, at least not until we begin to understand it. What we need to keep doing is to practise our ability to choose as often as we can, act responsibly and act socially for what is best for the collective first. It should not just be about the "me" of our slothfullness, pleasure, convenience and that horribly ugly fixation on self-importance.

But unfortunately, protoplasms can also take on a human form these days, and it isn't totally their fault since they are likely not existentialists. Many say that it is the fault of not being challenged anymore and that somebody or some interest wants them complacent and that the younger ones are finding good refuge in the role of claiming victimization. I hate that, we are hardly ever victims except when we choose to be, and it is so rare to be a victim since we more than often can still exercise choice while maintaining that existential perspective which liberates us from what falsely tries to weigh us down, and that includes the belly fat one accumulates by hiding out and getting paid for staying home and wallowing in miserable ease. But then again, if I am writing these posts on a god damn pinball forum I must be crazy, but I am just trying to wake up the natives and exchange with them, at least the ones I have come to appreciate and now through these words we can maybe make them lose that weight that keeps them anchored and complacent and help them to stop thinking that they are better off taking the easy road (which is a trap) while claiming to be poor victims to these difficult times. Fuck that, we are going to need eachother again very soon and we better get on the same page on what we are capable of accomplishing & changing with the better awakened side of our nature.

Here is a quote from a thinker -

"Communication seemed to have been easier in the past during the rat race. Everything was go go go, but there was always time for a visit or a phone call. Now life’s a Groundhog Day. It seems to be a cross of repetitively mundane and peacefully reclusive doldrums. I think the conditioning is working. "

Forgive me, since it is a full moon that helps to make me crazy with thoughts and emotions. Yet I can not be victim to this since I know and understand it as having an effect on me. I know when and I know how, so I am can choose how to react when in the presence of the effects of this monthly stimulus.

Kilgore Trout (rab)
Last edited by R.A.B. on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by WARLOCK »

On the road again... Hardly a routine just yet though... just time for reflection...
Time to move Mama Bear from Moncton (with Provincial permission) back to Peterpatch for good.
Will do some big thinking on route. No stops allowed; (other than fuel) into and out of New Brunswick.
Only a 24 hour window allowed inside New Brunswick to pack and get out of the province and return. More soon.

There is the illusion that adrenaline will be required and that there is a "rat race" again, if only for a few days.
Perhaps a last hurrah memorial to the old days, as there are no "real" shows, no "doors" at 6pm, no "curtain" at 7pm.

Cheers. Salut. All the very best my friends.

Sparky
MAACA OG
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Sparky »

Hmm... true. Some things of the "old days" (5 months ago) might never be the same, but I rather remain optimistic and say that the we will appreciate more the things that come back, and use the gathered knowledge to do other things better.

As many have a "bucket list", I have also built a Covid-list. Things that I must change and do, once the situation is under control:

- go to more concerts. I have always been hesitant to attend a concert ever since I unjustly got a nightstick to the back of my head at the Metallica/GnR/Faith No More show at the Big Owe in 1991. Running away from an angry mob AND angry cops. LOL

- buy local. We tend to forget this....

- see friends and family more. Because when you can't, it sucks major donkey balls

I can go on. But safe to say, this will be me after a vaccine is out:
Hugs.jpg
Hugs.jpg (31.49 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Talked to the WARLOCK as he rode into Quebec City late this afternoon and as he makes his way into New Brunswick tonight. I was at JamesSchid's shop receiving a 1963 GTB "Gigi" for an overhaul/repair when he called to tell me that he felt that he was in his element once again. I think we both were at that moment.

Client dropping this pinball beauty off said it was his grandfather's who ran a route back in the 50's and 60's under Devost Amusements. The machine was complete and original and had all her parts including cashbox & separator, coin mechs for dimes and quarters. The schematic was factory folded and taped at all four corners to the inside of the backbox metal door, not that I will need that, but it is nice to see then and again. This is going to be a pleasure to revive, been sitting idle for a long long time. It will be great to see the grandson's face when he picks it up in a month or so and reacts. I will watch his face carefully in order to thrive on his reaction giving more purpose to the repair job we will do as he plays it once again after so long. For whom the bells toll ? They toll for thee after I hook them up and install the hammer/clapper arm to the match unit. Yabo !!

But back to my road worthy friend.

He sounded like himself on the phone, talking fast and driving steadily ahead with intent, or should I say he sounded like the Scott I knew before our forsakened familiar normality vanished and the nature of our established routines were seriously disrupted in mid march. He was driving towards a goal, something he knew he would get done.

God bless the fool hearted, for they will be the last to ride into the night laughing and crying out loud with great intent & purpose.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

I have too much to say these days, so I will let others speak.

Those who are younger and who tend to use 5% of their brain or a bit more, well - they don't want to be on earth anymore, can you blame them. I would love to keep company with them elsewhere than here.

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by WARLOCK »

Short stories - Introduction

Routine's have been decimated for many during these most intriguing of times. (For myself, this journey began later than most for the love of pinball in 2012.) The real journey began when my father introduced me to pinball in 1977.
I have always been, and want to be "ON THE ROAD". (Yet, my education was lacking, missing a part of history of the beat(nik) generation. ON THE ROAD - Jack Kerouac was a timely gift from RAB at a crucial time to bring me up to speed.)
My Refuge is a bit upstream from Robert's Nun's Island vantage-point and the mighty St. Lawrence, right near The Bluffs in South Scarberia on the last of the 5 Great Lakes. (Before these great waters turn into the great river and return to the sea.)

Perhaps I will pick up the quill and spin a few chapters here while Robert writes by the Riverside and contemplates our collective futures viewed from the playfields we know and love so much...

More soon. Cheers Salut.
All the very best.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Thanks for your post on the R n' R thread Scott. I was pleased to see it upon rising this morning, especially after that ardurous 1 hour plus phone conversation yesterday.

I don't think we are done quite yet, so yeah, "pick up the quill and spin a few chapters" as you say. It is a therapy that helps many of us scribblers not to lose our marbles completely, especially in these times that are, challenging (another word for rapid change or at worse SNAFU)

OK.

The only salvation for a writer is to write. It doesn't matter if it is even read by others as far as the salvation part is concerned. Although it feels good to be read when it possibly provides something new to think about and still better when the reader contributes to the initial idea(s). Problem we can encounter is repetition in the way we take in ideas and information. It is the stuffing which fills many of our brains lately, and repetition stunts us in a way. Now is not the time for this dumbing down. This is a time for new ideas, mainly because they are what builds the backbone for action.

As the Silver said, (not these exact words), - writing and reading can provide something new to chew on for a while.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

R.A.B. wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:10 am
Problem we can encounter is repetition in the way we take in ideas and information. It is the stuffing which fills many of our brains lately, and repetition stunts us in a way. Now is not the time for this dumbing down. This is a time for new ideas, mainly because they are what builds the backbone for action.
I wish most would think this way, but unfortunately, I have always found that routine and repetition also keeps many in check. Take away that stability, even the slightest bit, and civility and respect go out the door. We get people comparing government imposed mandatory mask-wearing to Nazi Germany, even though there is also a law for covering your dangly bits in public with pants or shorts, and that is OK. People saying that Bill Gates is out to inject us all with microchips through a vaccine, yet happily fork out 1200$ for a new IPhone that does the same. Parents screaming about sending their kids to school, yet invite a ton of friends for a garden party.

So my problem is that I get tired of people at times. It gets to be too much. Everyone is on edge. Add the imposed 24-hr media political shitshow bombardment that is south of us with clear bipolarism across the board, and everyone complaining about everything, I just start to tune out. I can't turn on my phone or TV and not see something in the line of "did you see what the orange guy did" or "I knew the son would be worse than the dad", or some conspiracy bullshit. I tried watching hockey.... it got old very quickly. No atmosphere. No crowd going crazy.

Imagine what the crowd noise would have been if Petry would have scored his goal in a full Bell Centre in game 5. Now look at the footage. Yay. He scored. (crickets)

That's how everything feels right now. Dumbed down. Simulated.

So... I choose to ignore it and do my own "real" thing. Spend time with my family. Watch cartoons with my kids. Swim in the pool on a muggy evening. Bring a game back from the dead. Chat (yes, at a damn distance) with friends.

Because it is real.

The rest is just noise.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Thanks Ian for your contribution to this thread of ideas. Appreciate your thoughts and observations which many of us here share and can understand.

My 16 year old son asked me if I was down on routine the other day. I told him that I look for it when things get rocky and/or complex/messed up and demand order to be accomplished - otherwise I get rid of routine when it gets in the way of my imagination, any art or just to do things differently. I think he understood, at least I hope so. Science is useful, but often lacks colour, so some people tend to embellish facts because facts alone have somehow become dull to many in the information age. Nothing seems to make us go "wow" anymore.

Variety and artful intoxication is the best part of a good life. In any case, whatever works in the ever changing context is what I will use to try my best in maintaining what I believe to be a good life until the expiry date.

I am unable to watch or listen to the news anymore without it bringing me to the edge of catatonic despair. Maybe this is the end of intelligent journalism in our culture of over-consumption, fear and stupidity being a way to control voters. It is at least the end of being ashamed of appearing crazy or stupid in public. The U.S. is openly celebrating its warts, and the world is wondering if they are on the verge of losing what little grip they have left on being responsible towards its population, maybe the powers that be don't need them anymore.

Hell, I don't mind getting goofy in private or behaving like a wild animal with like minded craziods, but making a news event out of craziness can cause instability for those who are tuning in for information. Responsibility and freedom go hand in hand, I think we have left that crucial association behind in the 21st century, but this is only the beginning of the century and it could get better or it could get very bad and give us all a rotten time before the tides eventually turn as they always have. Time is the variable as to the world changing. Too fast and it creates instability, too slow and people are given a chance to be stable and safe and a little bit boring which is harmless. Tough act to balance to say the least.

Hang on good people, hang on. Always speak calmly & clearly to the dumb in hopes of seeing their light go on. Getting angry at others only brings out the dumbest side of our nature. We are at our dumbest when we are angry.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Yesterday was Saturday, and Saturdays use to embody a well adjusted routine. A routine which I carefully & gradually built around a couple of factors that are important to me. So every weekend prior to this major worldwide adjustment, I would make small detailed adjustments to a carefully crafted routine while doing the same to the North Star pinball machine line up. It was a good marriage. The point of it all was to get both the machines and the routine to be as close to properly providing enjoyment while maintaining a level of efficiency and not allowing the routine to become boring and nor let it compromise the pleasures of accomplishment. I was definitely in the zone, and then.....a major bug came down upon the whole scene.

But last week, (strangely enough on a Thursday), I felt that I could start to adjust that routine once again based on what I remembered of the one I enjoyed from five months ago and adapt it to this latest context. i.e. living with this bug and the altered behavioral patterns of my fellow human beings.

Hell, it took years to draw up the life I wanted, and now, like many of us we have to defend it and keep it real while finding new ways to slip under the fences that keep going up. I don't always believe that these fences are put up to protect us, there is a slight smokescreen feel to them lately, maybe intentional, maybe not.
Ready for the fall and whatever it may bring.
Ready for the fall and whatever it may bring.

Texted Joanna after work wednesday and asked her if she was game to trip around for a bit the next day. "Yup, sounds good", she shot back. So I picked her up at 9:30 am that thursday and informed her that this was going to be a very easy day. No home service calls nor dealing with clients, just a sort of reconnaissance trial run for the more routine like Saturdays that I was drawing up as they continued to loom in my consciousness. Why a Thursday though ? Well, I hadn't thought about that too much, but it turned out to be very appropriate. Choosing to go out to North Star to test some boards which I had been meaning to tag properly while doing a quick check up on the herd to then head up to the Montreal Pinball parts locker and pick up various accouterments and finally sitting down outside and having lunch at the Main restaurant (on JoJo's request) was all fun stuff. That was all I had planned for that day on the Main and it was more than fine. These were all familiar activities from 5 months ago that we could still do without too many adjustments, and this made me hopeful about some sort of familiarity being possible when looking to a future.

The day also brought on that pleasant summer like feeling which we were just beginning to experience back in early March as the winter weather broke. Another very pleasant surprise was that St. Laurent boulevard was now closed to vehicle traffic between Sherbrooke and Mont-Royal. This began that very Thursday and would continue for the next 10 days, all in the city of Montreal's plan to help the merchants take their goods outside onto the Main. This would bring back a deeply needed semblance of the previous summers' street festival vibes, but for 2020 there would be no pop up container arcade gig that North Star would operate in conjunction with the local Evenko gang as had become customary.
Not this year. Summer of 2020 will go down in the city's history as a quiet one for festivals. Not much to celebrate it seems.
Not this year. Summer of 2020 will go down in the city's history as a quiet one for festivals. Not much to celebrate it seems.

So later that day, there would be a small terrasse near the North Star 1979 Chevy van where you could enjoy a cold beer with outdoor pinball ofcourse, Monday Night Football I believe is the outdoor pin. The bar upstairs would be open as of 3PM for anyone who wanted to play a wider variety of eras which now included Eight Ball Deluxe and in my opinion remains the best SS Bally pinball ever made.

So all in all Thursday was a great trail run day, and since Joanna had to work at 3PM and I had a bunch of chores and tasks lined up in the late afternoon, we made sure to head back to the south west by 1:30 pm.

While continuing to accomplish what I needed to do that day, I kept thinking about how I could make that upcoming Saturday as pleasant and useful as that Thursday, but on a bigger scale. I am super happy to say that it worked.

More on yesterday later today/tonight.
Looking out from the newly opened North Star second floor balcony and watching the river of people flow up and down the Main. A cool cider to wind down a good day on the road, hats off and masks on.
Looking out from the newly opened North Star second floor balcony and watching the river of people flow up and down the Main. A cool cider to wind down a good day on the road, hats off and masks on.

Saturday was a day to test the limits of how productive I could get on the road without getting into too much trouble or conjuring up unpleasantness around me. That was the call I made for myself that day, and hopefully it would carry me into nightfall and back to the refuge.

First order of business was to procure coffee and get to North Star to check the service log book for bugs. There was a note about a spinner on Jurassic Park not registering and a request in the book to put our Urban Industries/JamesSchid computerized Kiss-0-Scope on free play.

https://www.northstarpinball.com/kissascope

After a few tweaks and adjustments at North Star, I head over to JamesSchid's workshop to reassemble the GiGi playfield and get that latest Montreal Pinball shop job to the "testing for bugs" stage. We put back all the cleaned parts, adjusted switches, played it and created a refreshed list of parts to get from work on Monday and keep a running Alouette invoice for this client. P/N 25A x 2, A-1217R x 4, A-347 x 1, A-12047 x 2 and more #47 lamps were added. James and I would install these on Monday night after our respective square jobs. The task of playing this machine would go to James since he is a detail freak and he would look for the inevitable adjustments to be made and write them down. This insures a properly tuned machine for the client to enjoy. It is a process and it takes time, no two ways around that factor.

The clowns inhabiting the machine's artwork caused an outraged and indigent Joanna to comment in an e-mail that the great gameplay of this machine is disrupted by the artwork, and hence declared that this classic game had no business showcasing clowns on it.
What can I say ?
What can I say ?
However, they are Roy Parker clowns, and there is always an angle thing going down somewhere.
However, they are Roy Parker clowns, and there is always an angle thing going down somewhere.

We then loaded up a NorthWestern sticker vending machine that was taking up space in James' shop and head off to the North Star storage space to dump it there for Jordan who said that he had plans for it. Our plan now was to drive out to mbudmans place and get him out of another jam he got himself into. I am not particularly religious, but I feel that he is my cross to bear. In passing, I kinda like the christian philosophy, I think it would work if it was practiced by more humans, and I would join their ranks if that gang of thugs didn't include certain scoundrels hiding behind a veil of hypocrisy and crazy symbols of pity. I deeply despise insincerity, victimisation and mean spirited half wits who acquire power in order to exercise it over others instead of using it to improve themselves as so called christians. That really boils my lobster these days.

Sources boul. was being dug up for some reason, maybe they were looking for the source of all things in the west island, hope they find it soon cause people were getting impatient judging by the lack of turn signals being used just before sudden bursts in changes of directions. We couldn't turn onto Mark's street but I knew the neighbourhood well from the many clients who own pinball machines in that hood. Crazy, as we drove around the back way to Mark's place I pointed out to James which machines were in which houses, all from memory and suddenly realized how long I have been doing this type of work, more than half my life now, fawk! But it isn't just pinball repair that has been accomplished, it has created relationships, produced gainful employment and has been a social service to many in a way. I guess I am trying to convince myself that it was worth it, one can never be sure what other roads would have brought on. One thing is for sure, being human remains a useless passion, but a passion nonetheless when you recognize the connections you support.

At Mark's place we parked close to the front door in order to minimize the steps required from basement to car. The task was to move out a Bally slot machine in order to ease tensions in the home. I knew in advance that those damn things were heavy, even when you took out the reel mechanism and the hopper.
The guts of the boat anchor
The guts of the boat anchor
James and I managed to get it to the back seat of the Camry and this would make Mark's life easier for a while. Being thankful for this first step in ridding the house of these boat anchors, Mark insisted on making burgers, Moishes burgers which Mark hailed as the best he has ever tasted. Moishes restaurant is now a famous high end like steakhouse in Montreal which is actually across the street from North Star. They began distributing some of their famous products through supermarkets, yes the world is changing. Story goes that the original owner lost the restaurant in a poker game to some other player who would make it as successful as it is today. So the slot machine and the burgers jived that day and it was easy to make connections wherever I looked. The burgers were good, but not as good as Eddy Murphy's mama's burgers.

http://moishes.ca/category/history/
Moishes and the Main viewed from North Star's sliding window seat.
Moishes and the Main viewed from North Star's sliding window seat.
We ate outside under a big tent for shade. Mark told us about a guy he plays baseball with and ofcourse Mark got talking with him about pinball machines and mentioned my name. Turns out that I knew Mitch's brother since I took care of his collection. Sadly Steve passed away in April and had only 10 people attend his funeral when there should have been hundreds. Steve was a real Montrealer at heart and at soul and loved collecting anything that represented the city via iconic objects. I sent a text via Mark's phone to offer any help in fixing or liquidating any of Steve's games for free. He himself was a liquidator and had amassed lots of interesting objects from places like Ben's Restaurant, Windsor Station, old office buildings that had been there since the 20's and so forth. I will miss him. Strangely enough I had pointed out Steve's house to James as we drove towards Mark's home and how I had fixed the pinballs there for Steve's daughter's 16th birthday party he threw for her and her friends a few years back. Ah life, what an incredible series of events and occurrences.

We left Mark's place as he continued to talk about one thing or another in hopes to strike a subject that would capture our interest and have us stay longer. I told him not to do that and said goodbye, we had spent alot of time there, more that was necessary and what I had learned had saddened me and upset me to a certain extent. I had been meaning to call Steve and get together to talk about a project he pitched to me before the covid thing came down. We were meant to get together this spring to start discussing possibilities, but....again, our lives have limits, some we know about, some we can't anticipate. Needless to say that It would have been a very cool Montreal based hang out like Pitt street was, but with many more interesting objects than just coin operated amusement machines.

During the ride back to the Plateau James offered to lend a hand getting this Bally boat anchor up to my studio so I could work on it when I felt a need to fiddle with something other that pinball machines. We used a 4 wheel dolly I keep in a closet for such occasions and it made it to the 14th floor with little incident. The only thing was that everytime we moved this thing it seemed to be getting bigger.

As wide a pinball and a little higher than the cabinet.
As wide a pinball and a little higher than the cabinet.
It is somewhat of a beast as I look at it while typing this, wonder if I can get it to work.
20200818_190443.jpg
If I do, James suggested I moved it in the middle of the night to the big laundry room downstairs and chain it to something. This would freak out the rental corporation and at least give my neighbours a thrill and a laugh to be sure. They have no cameras in this building, except the front entrance and lobby. There is little need for them anywhere else here since people are generally well behaved and maybe a slot machine with automatic payout would change that. Wild beer parties while doing your laundry with the drunken gambling neighbours.

We head back up to the shops and picked up some fixins' to install a free play button on the KissaScope at North Star. James did most of the work and I acted as the lackey/apprentice with the mask. We worked peacefully without interruptions, there were a couple of clients playing pinball but most of the action was outside on the sunny street. It really felt like summer, except for all of us looking like bandits this year. Ended the day with a couple of ciders and made it back to the refuge by 7PM, it had been a fine day in all aspects of my intentions, except for the loss of a straight up business guy and fellow Montrealer to this bug.
20200815_164828.jpg
Last edited by R.A.B. on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

One more kind of casualty - goddamn bug and corporate clowns making headlines. See above post for reference and link below for the progression of it all.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7285785/mont ... ronavirus/

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Mrhide »

R.A.B. wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:49 pm
One more kind of casualty - goddamn bug and corporate clowns making headlines. See above post for reference and link below for the progression of it all.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7285785/mont ... ronavirus/

damn :(

Nice van though! 8-)
LF: VewLix, GrooveCoaster + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Chris Silver »

“....fear and stupidity being a way to control voters”.

I’ve been very busy lately and haven’t had a chance to dig by the Riverside. That statement you said above stuck to the side of my head like a piece of bologna Other than more accurately it should’ve said being the way. That’s 100% fact and what’s going down.

I’ve read on a bit but will finish up this evening back at the hotel.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man, Blackout, Alien Poker
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

This comes to mind, from a science website:

"Lemmings have large population booms every three or four years. When the concentration of lemmings becomes too high in one area, a large group will set out in search of a new home. Lemmings can swim, so if they reach a water obstacle, such as a river or lake, they may try to cross it. Inevitably, a few individuals drown. But it’s hardly suicide.

So why is the myth of mass lemming suicide so widely believed? For one, it provides an irresistible metaphor for human behavior. Someone who blindly follows a crowd—maybe even toward catastrophe—is called a lemming. Over the past century, the myth has been invoked to express modern anxieties about how individuality could be submerged and destroyed by mass phenomena, such as political movements or consumer culture.

But the biggest reason the myth endures? Deliberate fraud. For the 1958 Disney nature film White Wilderness, filmmakers eager for dramatic footage staged a lemming death plunge, pushing dozens of lemmings off a cliff while cameras were rolling. The images—shocking at the time for what they seemed to show about the cruelty of nature and shocking now for what they actually show about the cruelty of humans—convinced several generations of moviegoers that these little rodents do, in fact, possess a bizarre instinct to destroy themselves."

So this leaves me with 2 conclusions:

1- If you follow the masses, you either end up brainlessly jumping off a cliff, told to jump off a cliff or end up being pushed off a cliff. In a nutshell, you are fucked.

2- Disney is pure fucking evil.

So... do your thing. Stop worrying about an inevitable end of civilization due to dishonest and inept leadership. There is no democracy anyways. They "the Man" tell you who to vote for. Either Tweedle-Dee or Tweedle-Dum. Leadership is a quality. Politics is the science of lies and bullshit. There are no leaders in politics. Just a bunch of pandering, self-serving egomaniacs that pass themselves as leaders. I have yet to see a good one in my lifetime.

So... fuck it... sit back... crack open a beer... and just have a good time. Best to fall off the cliff saying "man, that was fun", than spend your last moments regretting not doing things. And since no one truly knows when those last moments happen, well... Fuck that cliff. I will jump in my pool instead.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Lemmings4.png

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

5f033c76ca157.image.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Happy to see that people are contributing thoughts and opinions to this thread. Laying out ideas and interpretations pertaining to what the hell is going down around us these days I believe to be an important practise. Better still, this is being done in a civilized manner here so far, which shows some intelligence, even if we do not necessarily agree with each other's visions in this rapidly changing world we find ourselves in together. This is definitely not a for sale thread, maybe that would bring out the worse in us, especially the worse indignent characteristics of the resident dumb dumbs.

This warms ny heart in a way :oops: :mrgreen: :oops:

I had written in previous posts that I have too much to say these days and that it is pushing my limits. I would rather let others speak on these wicked times where signs of a shit storm ahead seem largely dependant on what the dumb and uneducated are promptd to do next. Although there are alot of good and smart people in this country and below us as well even though presently they don't seem to have as loud a voice as the reactionary morons we often hear about via the American medias. Wonder why ?

In these times, as in others, humour will always make things seem better. The main reason why a joke turns out to be good is because there is a truth in there somewhere that we are able to recognize.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Chris Silver wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:17 am
“....fear and stupidity being a way to control voters”.

I’ve been very busy lately and haven’t had a chance to dig by the Riverside. That statement you said above stuck to the side of my head like a piece of bologna.....That’s 100% fact and what’s going down.

I’ve read on a bit but will finish up this evening back at the hotel.
A wonderful way to get a laugh this morning Chris, thank you !

That bologna hitting the side of your head and my hitting the road at 9:30 am this morning makes for a great start up analogy, - simply wonderful. That vision alone will help in making this a good day and an even better end of the day once at the refuge when it is time to write and drink and play mbudman's Bally slot machine which I managed to fix last thursday. A more apt pleasure these days is to fix things wouldn't you say ?
20200822_085205.jpg
Lots going on today in my nutshell, or in a sandwich, depends how you look at things. :lol:

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Less routine than anticipated enveloped yesterday's Saturday while working in the entourage of the Main. Sometimes you need to let the course of things lead, and just trust, however difficult that may seem to a control freak, one must remember that even blind trust remains a choice.

Finished up the crux of a shop job (1963 GTB "GiGi") with the help of my buddy JamesSchid by noon and we decided to walk down to buy some food stuffs at Segal's (since 1927), the least expensive supermarket on the Main. Always filled with students and older St.Laurent boulevard characters mainly because it houses such a wide variety of products at amazing prices. Bought a few cans of Portuguese squid salad for my son and some Armenian spicy pizza and organic dry sausage. James needed some sort of gluten free flour to make a dessert for a family gathering the next day, so he bought that. The place still essentially feels like it did in the 60's or early 70's for sure. I had a sort of flashback to being there when I was just a kid taking the bus to town with my mother who would shop for some specialty foods on the Main, felt pretty sure I recognized the vibe.

The idea was to head to the shop after lunch and drop off parts and also pick up parts from my storage locker, hook up with Jordan and then head to North Star for the end of the day cider, quick overall check up of the herd and then lookout over the street festival, if you can call it a festival at all. But after that walk on Mont-Royal and its side streets as they all sort of led to the Main, the distractions were rapidly becoming overwhelming on that hotter than expected summer day. The streets were full of people keeping proper distance, some with masks, but mostly just people smiling and laughing without them, being respectful and just happy looking. The Plateau is a beautiful diverse and beatific neighbourhood and I felt good walking its side streets and looking at the buildings and the way people enhanced their outdoor living spaces and entrances with so much beauty and originality. No perfect suburban lawns here or any false sense of security stemming from a fabricated cookie cutter lifestyle. Thoughts swirled in my head as I tried to keep up to James usual faster walking pace. I was falling behind all the while looking all around at every colourful entrance to homes where so many Montreal families were brought up decades ago. There are alot less kids now on the Plateau, and the young adults were looking free and happy and beautiful. Not sure why that hit me so hard, I just think I felt that the future here was distinctively different as it should be. Not threatening to life itself, just different and less predictable.

Something told me to head home, I think I needed to be alone, felt pleasantly overwhelmed and did not want to waste that feeling on pinball related stuff. Texted Jordan that I would not be at the shop by 3 as planned and ended up writing and drinking wine and texting back friends who asked if I would be at North Star later that evening. This Saturday in particular the routine did not prevail and the writing was good and the wine was fine.

"I don't see inspiration as a state of grace, nor as a breath from heaven, but as the moment when, by tenacity and control, you are at one with your theme....you spur the theme on and the theme spurs you on too...All obstacles fade away, all conflict disappears, things you never dreamt of occur to you and, at that moment, there is absolutely nothing better than writing."

From "The Fragrance of Guava" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Must keep at that task of loving our lives again, even though its' meaning continues to baffle me.

Later that evening Joanna sent a text asking how the day went and how I was doing lately. I said that overall things were more than fair.

IMG_1748.jpg
pinballspotting - Runaway Nightmare A03.png
IMG_1735.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Last Saturday was the closest I got to living the routine which was starting to take hold during those pre-covid times. Bonus,- no one was sick or coughing that day, or even losing their sense of taste or smell. Everything from the A.M. to the P.M. felt fine. The refuge was good as well.

I have quite the story to tell about that day in life, but the fucking full moon is making me "skiddish" & crazy so I am pretty useless for a couple of days as far as writing or fixing machines is concerned. I can still sell parts though, and I will be able to focus on writing in a day or two in order to tell the story of a Saturday that almost felt normal and "normal" is what seems desirable as this sordid year begins to wind down.

Joanna's text from the night before we got on the road for that last saturday of August 2020 says it all -

"I'd like to get back to normal and tag along saturday, even if you are just working at James' shop. Hell, I'd just like to get a sense of some sort of stability again if at all possible."
Last edited by R.A.B. on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

R.A.B. wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:14 pm

"I'd like to get back to normal and tag along saturday, even if you are just working at James' shop. Hell, I'd just like to get a sense of some sort of stability again if at all possible."
I think we all do. Hence why me travelling with Heisenberg to Craig's on Saturday was a welcome "battery-recharge" moment. I have learned to truly appreciate the small moments. We so easily take routine things for granted.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”