Playmatic UFO-X

Talk about anything that you would like.
KADLAD
MAACA New Contributor

Playmatic UFO-X

Post by KADLAD »

Hi
I have a UFO-X that is working but no sound. Have tried another sound board and still nothing. Not much info on the game. Is there anyone out there with a fully working game who might have some ideas on how to get the sound working or that has a working sound board. I am just about ready to give up.
Thanks Kim

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Playmatic UFO-X

Post by sylvain »

Hi Kim,
I do not have such game, but I think we briefly talked at the last Ottawa Pinball & Gameroom show.

… Just to ensure you checked the usual:

- speaker, volume control and wiring all good, including plug to the sound board;
- supply voltages measured on the sound board and all are as expected;
- no chips too hot on the sound board (especially audio amp chip, if a chip);
- check for any open resistor, open/shorted diode or transistor;
- check for any cold solder joints, esp. at header connectors;
- wiring MPU to sound board is correct and good;
- do you have an ESR Cap tester to check electrolytic capacitors to ensure none are opened?
- Any self-test button on that soundboard?

Is there a way to simulate MPU signals at inputs of sound board to confirm if the issue is on the MPU, or on the soundboard?

Good luck!
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Gents, I seem to recall discussing this in Ottawa briefly. Kim has parts from my machine to test his pin.
The only thing I can add is that I believe there are only 3 of us with this game in Canada that I am aware of.
Kim, myself and Bruno. I believe R.A.B. had mentioned to me that Mindstorm has a working copy. Just an FYI.
Cheers. Salut. (Excited to get all 3 running.)

KADLAD
MAACA New Contributor

Post by KADLAD »

Hi Scott
I tried you sound board and its the same as mine. Also tried your MPU board and game does not bootup. Sylvain We have scoped the signals coming from the CPU and they are getting to the sound board , but not getting past the 74C373 chip. Have tested the chip in an IC tester its good. So it looks like sound board trouble on both boards.Will keep trying .
Thanks Kim

KADLAD
MAACA New Contributor

Post by KADLAD »

We have sound. Last night Ian and I worked on the sound board look like CPU not starting CPU chip is new we made new software chips a long time ago from the interweb site. So there are 2 5101's one socketed the other not , pulled it and it tested ok. Ian started to swap the socketed chips starting with program chips which we had already remade. Plugged the board in and we had sound!!! So the file we had down loaded from the interweb was bad. So Scott your program chips are good.
Kim

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Kim, Good to hear your progress on this project. Well done. Scott