Buying and selling during COVID-19

Talk about anything that you would like.
steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Buying and selling during COVID-19

Post by steamfitter »

I think some people are not taking this seriously , it's a PANDEMIC :FP:

Let's keep everybody safe , and stay home

Denis
Pins: Black Hole , Flash Gordon, Meteor
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

DrDude
MAACA Half-ling

Re: Buying and selling during COVID-19

Post by DrDude »

Above and beyond the concerns of viral spread I think that these are desperate times for some and that everyone has a personal and unique situation. Some have suddenly lost their entire source of income, and maybe don't have the financial resources to even feed their families, so who are we to say that unloading a pinball machine to put bread on the table is not an "essential service" for that family? Don't forget that Canada Post, FedEx and UPS are still delivering packages (some of which will be movies, books, games, and other things you don't really need to survive), so it's not like we've shut down all forms of commerce not related to food and medical supplies. Unless you are living in a glass-free house and are thus justified to throw some stones, I believe that it is not our role as individuals in this wonderful community to police others, who may be just trying to survive.
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

Your right people need to survive

The safest way to beat it is not getting it , it's going to get worse before it gets better .
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

I had to responsibly turn down picking up 2 pins in a week due to everything going on. If seller moves on to someone else, I understand. But I can't jeopardize anyone's health.

Once this blows over? Sure. No problem. But if you purchase a machine, ask for the seller to hold it if possible. And do the same if you are the seller. Best to be responsible.
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

Latest details released say the virus can live on plastics and steel for up to 3 days.
So if you're grabbing from someone, have it sit in their garage for 3 days first and then you do all the moving.
Or if something is getting delivered, leave it in your garage for 3 days.

If you are receiving NIB, apparently it only survives up to 24 hours on cardboard, so leave the box in your garage for a day then open.
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1984 Taito Zeke's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

I sold a couple for necessity, I have no income until Bars open again. I need to pay my rent. The games are still here and money was received by EMT.
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Fifty »

pinhead wrote:I sold a couple for necessity, I have no income until Bars open again. I need to pay my rent. The games are still here and money was received by EMT.
Any thoughts on renting games Geoff during this pandemic? Many arcades are doing this.

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

Mike posted on pinside , i couldn't agree more

The “temporarily closed or worried about having to close my arcade” thread
pinmeds
Pinball Medics

CA Ottawa, ON

4y22,90010
We decided to close the Ottawa Pinball Arcade along with our partners the Neighbourhood Pub on March 15th, despite the fact that we were prepared for an amazing week during March Break with an unlimited play event every day for the kids, and had just rented and fully renovated the adjoining unit to expand the Arcade and move our Pinball Medics store to the new shop area for game sales, parts sales, and repairs from a storefront retail location, something this city has never seen, and my lifelong dream. We had just finished moving in and things were going better than we could have ever hoped. Even if we had not chosen to close however, on March 17th all restaurants and bars were ordered closed, and this week all non-essential businesses were ordered shut.

Despite all this being a huge drag, and financially beyond brutal for myself personally, for my customers (which will blow back on me), and for the Governments of the World (which will blow back on us all), My mind is occupied thinking about my elderly parents, who I can not visit, stuck in their house alone, and what would happen to them if they got sick, hurt themselves, or for any reason required any sort of medical attention. And as has been mentioned earlier, it's not just old people at risk. If any of my children need medical attention, they will be in the cue with the masses, with a medical system that has a 5 + hour wait on a good day, when they have healthy staff working their normal hours and PPE to go around, and an ICU available God forbid it be required.

Yes, it will be tight, and I'm not sure how I will weather this storm for what sounds like at least 2-3 months if things go well and everyone does their part. Many businesses will not survive this. In fact many will personally not survive this financially intact, whether employer or employee. Entire economies are being devastated. And any investments that may have been cashed in to bridge the chasm have been devalued beyond logically selling at this point. But I keep hearing what my Dad has told me since I was a money hungry kid and throughout my career. Money is worth nothing if you don't have your health. And the reality is, there are not that many who can afford a personal wing of ICU's equipped with ventilators with attendant Doctors and Nurses for their entire family and everyone they love. I am imagining most hospitals in the middle of this resemble a field hospital on the front lines while the Blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank than any scene from Grey's Anatomy. All the money in the world will do you no good. The stories and numbers of deaths in Italy combined with the scenes from NYC with the reefer units chilling tents to keep the bodies cool and the sound clips of the ER staff describing the scene are burned into my psyche. And that show is on the road and coming to town near you if we don't get a handle on this.

I truly feel terrible for all who are suffering financially (myself included), but feel much worse for those watching their loved ones die because they just don't have the resources to save them. And while I would not categorize this as "short term" pain (it is in fact somewhat long term feeling to me from what I predict), but it's better than the permanent pain this will inflict if we don't get on top of this as soon as possible.

All the efforts being discussed to help keep these arcades going are great, it really would be a horrible loss for these locations that have been popping up all over North America, allowing us to play Pinball in the wild like when we were young and got into this "hobby" before it was a hobby in the first place, and as with any crisis that restricts the way we live, work, and play, new opportunities will present, and we will adjust.

I for one hope all I stand to lose is my business. And if I do, I'll build it again, in the company of everyone I love.

Blackghost4
MAACA Buck

Post by Blackghost4 »

Very well said Mike. Hopefully we will all recover from this and will be able to play Pinball as a group again.
Everybody stay safe and hope we can get together soon.
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980) Gottlieb Bad Girls (1988) Gottlieb Robo-War (1988)
Gottlieb Genesis (1986) Gottlieb Force II (1981) Gottlieb Card Whiz (1976) Gottlieb Striker (1982)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968) Gottlieb Sinbad (1978) Fascination Circa 1933 (1979) cocktail pinball
Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Gottlieb Operation Thunder, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

in the last 15 days
Attachments
CORONAVIRUS-CHART-MAR27-01-768x432.png

pinballjah
MAACA Silent Type

Post by pinballjah »

I have three games pending pick-up. I have offered to pre-wrap the games and they can be picked up in my garage. For the payment, likely do EMT with a large prepayment and final payment on pick-up. I think most people are fine not being able to test the games in person given everything going on. That way there is no physical contact on the exchange.

eh97ac
MAACA Half-ling

Post by eh97ac »

pinballjah wrote:I have three games pending pick-up. I have offered to pre-wrap the games and they can be picked up in my garage. For the payment, likely do EMT with a large prepayment and final payment on pick-up. I think most people are fine not being able to test the games in person given everything going on. That way there is no physical contact on the exchange.
Except for the game itself.

At this point, everyone should consider everyone else as infected.

"Shelter in place" should be a lifestyle not an afterthought.

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

eh97ac wrote:
pinballjah wrote:I have three games pending pick-up. I have offered to pre-wrap the games and they can be picked up in my garage. For the payment, likely do EMT with a large prepayment and final payment on pick-up. I think most people are fine not being able to test the games in person given everything going on. That way there is no physical contact on the exchange.
Except for the game itself.

At this point, everyone should consider everyone else as infected.

"Shelter in place" should be a lifestyle not an afterthought.

I agree with eh97ac 100%

Any sales I have done recently were paid by EMT and the games are sitting here until it is safe for everyone to go out again.

Rentals are out of the question for the safety of everyone.

I just wish people would take this pandemic seriously, I actually hope they put us in lockdown and enforce it. It would for the best thing for all of us at this time.
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

As a worker in the construction industry I'm terrified of what's happening. Never before in my life have I been considered anything more than an afterthought, and now that we've been declared essential it's done nothing but reinforce how much of an afterthought we are.

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

steamfitter wrote:What do you think ?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectible ... 1495721336
I think you could replace the word “pinball” with any other non-essential collectible and some ppl will try to take advantage.

Those folks are in the same category as the slime who buy pallets of essential items like sanitizer and re-sell at 10 times market value. They aren’t savvy business folks.. they are leeches.
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Road Show - full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, custom topper, bunch of mods (Mezelmod)
Revenge from Mars - looking to go pinbox and RFM 2.0
NIB MMrRE coming soon! :shock:

WANTED:
SW Prem (or maybe LE)
WOZ (any edition except YBR)
LOTR

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running. May sell soon.
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

uberhare
MAACA Half-ling

Post by uberhare »

In the coming months anything listed on Kijiji is going to be in a buyers market. People without work are going to get more desperate and list their "valuables" to try and stay afloat. It is sad, but in the end a pinball is only worth what the market will pay at the time. I have a number of items listed right now, however I have not caved to lowering my prices because I am still working. I am sure if that were not the case, I'd let things sell for less.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

I don't think it will change much.....except for a lot more lower end games as folks get time to fix them.
Just made a Covid-19 pick up...no contact, and in a parking lot. Thanks Jason.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Pat Hand /Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Jolly Roger / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco/ Stern POTC
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Tri Zone/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Honey Badger
MAACA Wacko

Post by Honey Badger »

No trouble at all Bruce, glad I could help you out... you’re one of the good guys in this hobby!
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

tkaye
MAACA Silent Type

Post by tkaye »

Social distancing is key. Space has to be maintained as much as possible. It is also true the virus will survive sometimes for days at a time on certain surfaces. If you pick up a game, you can still bring it home, set it up in place, and clean it! Use a cleaner safe for the exterior and most importantly, wash your hands afterwards! Can't hurt to use gloves as well if available to move them into place, but I believe you can safely still exchange a game during the pandemic, just exercise caution and wash your hands.

sylvain
MAACA Wacko

Post by sylvain »

I think this recent ad from Derek above is probably as a direct response to someone who is either joking around, or
actually trying to profit from the current pandemic and job loss situation, given two new ads I saw on Kijiji, see below.
They probably are reading MAACA too.

Given there are many ads for Pinballs Wanted on Kijiji everywhere, most potential sellers will probably offer
their machine(s) to most of those potential buyers anyway, with the highest offer winning...

Here are the two ads in question I saw recently:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/otta ... 1494968816

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/otta ... 1495873892

Keep safe and healthy everyone, best of luck and enjoy your machines!
-Sylvain.
Last edited by sylvain on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

sylvain wrote:
I think this recent ad from Derek above is probably as a direct response to someone who is either joking around, or
actually trying to profit from the current pandemic and job loss situation, given two new ads I saw on Kijiji, see below.
They probably are reading MAACA too.

Given there are many ads for Pinballs Wanted on Kijiji everywhere, most potential sellers will probably offer
their machine(s) to most of those potential buyers anyway, with the highest offer winning...

Here are the two ads in question I saw recently:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/otta ... 1494968816

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/otta ... 1495873892

Keep safe and healthy everyone, best of luck and enjoy your machines!
-Sylvain.
Crazy times

uberhare
MAACA Half-ling

Post by uberhare »

Some times I like to screw with those low baller wanted ads trying to buy machines for nothing and string them along for awhile...... :)

"My husband had several pinball machines in our basement when he passed way. I have no idea what they are worth, but I think the names are Twilight Zone, Adams Family and Simpsons?" You'd be surprised the replies and how shady they can be.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”