So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish..

Talk about anything that you would like.
DrDude
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish..

Post by DrDude »

Well, the warning signs have been there now for several months (and I even predicted to myself that it would happen), but it has now indeed happened. As much as I like being right, I really wish I had misread the situation (and the humans involved). As for what "it" is, I think those of you who know me and my history in the Ottawa pinball community will be well aware of what I'm speaking about.

It is just over 4 years since I joined MAACA at the urging of several pinheads that I knew who said it was a great forum for pinball discussion. I first came to the pinball hobby-community via the rec.games.pinball (RGP) newsgroup, and it was there that I discovered all the other pinball fanatics, generous with their time and advice, great folk who were (almost) always a source of wisdom and invaluable experience. Via RGP, I purchased my first machine, the (literal) barn-find (read manure-covered) Meteor which I still own to this day. Over time, RGP more-or-less died out, and things moved to forums like this, so upon joining MAACA I was most happy to re-discover what it was like to chat electronically with old pinball-friends and discover new ones. The first couple of years of my time on MAACA were a true joy, but then came a series of events (of which I will not speak, lest the lawyers be invoked again) which eventually led to a substantial gutting of the heart-and-soul of what MAACA had always been, and alas my own personal loss of joy in my pinball collection. I've kept reading MAACA but I think it is obvious to all that the traffic the last year has been a shadow of what it was, this a seeming reflection of my own feelings about the hobby. Fortunately, through the generous help of a few indefatigable individuals I have recovered my love of Pinball, and hoped that MAACA too would recover to its former fun, vibrant, ever-interesting self. But alas, the unspoken wounds never really healed, and of late some have publicly rallied to a version of the truth that I knew to be utterly unjust. And then came yesterday evening..

So, it is with regret that I will depart this forum. And by "depart", I simply mean that I will stop treating MAACA as my goto first-site-to-read every morning, and that it will no longer be how I keep tabs on the local pinball community, jaw with friends, get advice on tricky repair issues, and try my best to help out those who come here for help. Most of those I know, trust, and consider friends should already have my personal email address, but should that not be the case, you can send me a PM and I will hook you up.

So, as a Douglas Adams eloquently wrote, "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish.."

Sincerely,

Grant Goodes
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

pharoah007

Re: So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish..

Post by pharoah007 »

All good things come to a end.

See ya at Allentown, Italian again! (whenever Allentown is next)

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Re: So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish..

Post by Mrhide »

^^ that.
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!