Williams Comet

Talk about anything that you would like.
gstanczuk
MAACA Silent Type
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Williams Comet

Post by gstanczuk »

I recently acquired a Williams Comet and am in need of assistance with the lane change feature. I know that the lane change feature is triggered from the Rh flipper. Examining the switch it appears to be working, closing when it should, however I do not see anything happening on the lanes. Perhaps I need to understand what this feature actually does.
As far as I can see everything is working on the machine other than the lane change and a sound card issue. The sound card has a buzzing from the auxiliary card and will be addressed with a new sound board or a rebuild of the main board.
Any help in understanding the lane change operation would be greatly appreciated.

tinyrodent
MAACA Chatterbox
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Williams Comet

Post by tinyrodent »

Remove the balls, reset the drop targets, go into switch test mode, and check that there are no closed switches. If there are, power off and fix this problem first. Then go back to switch test mode and press the right flipper button to see if the lane change switch is registering. While you're at it, test all other switches on the playfield and note any that aren't working. If more than one is faulty look at the switch matrix table in the manual to see if they are in the same row or column.
Playing: Nothing
Fixing: Stern Game of Thrones, Stern Iron Maiden
http://www.pinballowners.com/tinyrodent

gstanczuk
MAACA Silent Type

Post by gstanczuk »

Thx for the advice. On checking the switch test there were no stuck switches. The lane change switch did not register during the test when triggered. This was attempted several times with the switch not registering. Ran out of time but will definitely get my meter out a dive deeper into the lane change switch.
I still would like to understand what the switch actually does.

tinyrodent
MAACA Chatterbox

Post by tinyrodent »

gstanczuk wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:07 am
I still would like to understand what the switch actually does.
During a game, whenever this switch is closed, the lit lanes shift by one position. If none are lit, it does nothing. Here's an example, let's say the ball drops through the 1 lane so now just that lane is lit:

Now pressing the right flipper button will move the lit lane over:

gstanczuk
MAACA Silent Type

Post by gstanczuk »

Thanks for the explanation. Now to find out why the switch does not work

gstanczuk
MAACA Silent Type

Post by gstanczuk »

I was going to check the lane change switch with my meter. On closer examination there was a pair of wires that were not attached to the switch and tucked out of sight. The wires were soldered together so all the other functions of the game appear to work properly. Rather than guess where the wires go, does anyone with a Comet have pictures of the wires on the lane change switch. If you know where the wires go or have a pic of the white/blue wires please post. Thanks in advance

tinyrodent
MAACA Chatterbox

Post by tinyrodent »

The manual indicates that white/blue is the row for switch 30 "LANE CHANGE". There are two wires because it is chained to the next switch in the matrix; both should be soldered to one lug of the switch. On the other lug you should find green/yellow.
System 9 switch matrix.png

gstanczuk
MAACA Silent Type

Post by gstanczuk »

Thanks.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”