mods

Talk about anything that you would like.
MJ
MAACA QuarterPounder
Been liked: 1 time

mods

Post by MJ »

Will mods add to the value of a pin or are they just an added bonus to the next guy?
Collection: SM, BDK, ST Enterprise and Houdini
Coming soon: Aliens Le.
Left the nest: LOTR Le, Jackbot, Hobbit Le, TZ, NF, Wizzard of Oz, TSPP, TAF and JD.
Looking for: Dialed In, Willy Wonka, Jurrasic, Park or Guardians.

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: mods

Post by mrmikeman »

Most mods don’t add shit for resale value. Some do add but usually not nearly as much as what it cost.
PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Stern HD Glass, Mods: Lit Merlin
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades
Star Wars Prem - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)
Lord of the Rings - ColorDMD, Pinsound board, speakers, and headphone station, Shaker. Mods: Laser cut armor, POTD Ghosts, Powerbladez, LED backglass panel lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board, speakers, and shaker, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship
Fathom Mermaid Edition (#065) - Unkown ETA

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC / XBOX 1X / Nintendo Switch

MINI-VIDS(dedicated 1/6 scale):
Dragon's Lair
Asteroids
1942/1943
Q-Bert

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *Selling soon to make room. Don't need 2 jukes.
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

tombiosis
MAACA QuarterPounder
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by tombiosis »

Most worthwhile mods:
Shaker
Speaker lights
Art/ mirror blades
Pins: 8BDlx, Frontier, The Walking Dead Pro, Jurassic Park Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Deadpool Pro
Gone but not forgotten: 6M$M, Fish Tales, Sorcerer, WPT, Elvis, Centaur II, Sure Shot, Firepower, Big Buck Hunter Pro.

WTB: Fathom, TSPP, BSD, GOT.

Quit talking and start chalking!

MJ
MAACA QuarterPounder
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MJ »

How about toppers?

I would like to add some however, a lot of $ without adding to game play but glorious touch to add to a pin.
Collection: SM, BDK, ST Enterprise and Houdini
Coming soon: Aliens Le.
Left the nest: LOTR Le, Jackbot, Hobbit Le, TZ, NF, Wizzard of Oz, TSPP, TAF and JD.
Looking for: Dialed In, Willy Wonka, Jurrasic, Park or Guardians.

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

Official Stern toppers do add to game play or are at least interactive with the game. Those you can re-sell for almost full value(sometimes more) separately if a buyer doesn’t want to pay more for the game with the topper.

Other toppers like Tilt Toppers that are nothing more than a plexi, decals, and a light strip will typically get you nothing extra. They are nice but purely cosmetic. I have one of those on my STTNG but the game is a keeper so I was ok with the expense.
PINS:
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades
Star Wars Prem - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)
Lord of the Rings - ColorDMD, Pinsound board, speakers, and headphone station, Shaker. Mods: Laser cut armor, POTD Ghosts, Powerbladez, LED backglass panel lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board, speakers, and shaker, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship

VIDS:

Dragon's Lair
Asteroids
1942/1943
Q-Bert

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *Selling soon to make room. Don't need 2 jukes.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

TwilightZone
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by TwilightZone »

ColorDMD or Pin2DMD are valuable mods. Plus you can remove them and keep them for your other games.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

mdeslaur
MAACA Buck
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by mdeslaur »

Mods don't typically add value. I'll pay less for a pin if I have to spend two days ripping out all the shitty walmart toys from the playfield.

That being said, I think most people like colordmds and factory toppers.

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

mdeslaur wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:09 am
I'll pay less for a pin if I have to spend two days ripping out all the shitty walmart toys from the playfield.
Don’t forget about having to rip out the “tastefully” colored LEDs in the GI. I just can’t stand colored GI. I play pinball. I don’t stare at it like artwork.
PINS:

VIDS:

Dragon's Lair
Asteroids
1942/1943
Q-Bert

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Azatotht »

mrmikeman wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:42 am
Don’t forget about having to rip out the “tastefully” colored LEDs in the GI. I just can’t stand colored GI. I play pinball. I don’t stare at it like artwork.
The worst part is that it ruins the playfield colors.

I absolutely hate colored leds in the GI, never ever looks good. Frosted white yes, colors NO.

Maybe one or two once in a while to make an area of the pf pop but not on every games and just if it fits.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

mdeslaur
MAACA Buck
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by mdeslaur »

Oh, I absolutely hate coloured GI too. I always assume I'll have to put proper white leds in any machine that someone converted before me.

tom_454
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by tom_454 »

Mods may add some value. As others have said, Colordmd, pin2dmd and pin sound certainly would add some value but don’t expect to get full price for the mod. Some toppers that are now impossible to find can add value. However the most bang for your buck is too remove them and reuse or sell separately.

Adding a whole bunch of figurines and leds doesn’t add a whole lot, if anything - so if you have a sought after, hard to find mod, then remove it and sell it separately.

I don’t mind some colour in the GI but sparingly on most pins. Some people do overdo it and pictures of LEDs make it worse than it is. I do like well programmed colorchanging GI but that is not a mod. I wish TWD pro had that like the Premium as Horde is awesome with the GI flashing in red.

There are some exceptions. Over the top modded Tron’s seem to hold their mod value that is for sure.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”