Closing statement about ALOUETTE @ the 8505 Chemin Delmeade location (1969-2022)

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 165 times

Closing statement about ALOUETTE @ the 8505 Chemin Delmeade location (1969-2022)

Post by R.A.B. »

Ce texte au sujet de Alouette peux être lu en Français sur - https://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php? ... r=category

In the summer of 1989 I was working as a landscaper in an upscale Montreal neighbourhood called the Town of Mont Royal. One day I borrowed my bosses' beat up 1970'S green Ford F350 and drove to Chemin Delmeade to buy 4 pinball machines. A Gottlieb Big Shot, a Williams Big Ben, a Bally Bon Voyage and a CCM Soundstage, they cost 125 $ each. I dumped them in my parent's basement on the south shore and drove back to my apartment in NDG to hang out with my girlfriend and room mates, but my mind was elsewhere. Returned the truck the next work day and anxiously waited for the weekend. Friday evening after cashing my paycheck at the bank, I bought beer and headed to the south shore on the bus. Spent the better majority of the weekend playing doctor with these 4 machines. There were now 9 pinballs in that basement, along with certain happy memories that still lurk in my head, and may even still glow back there.

Now, 33 years later, the man who sold me those 4 machines was my manager of the past four years at Alouette. Full circle shit indeed. Pierre has now retired after almost 50 years of service there. In my dealings with him to this day he remains a true hard working professional.

After I left the corporate world in April of 2018 with the fierce resolution to never go back to that culture of lies, posers, screwheads & yes men, Pierre and I found that we worked well together. Always straight up, clear, thoughtful and efficient. It is fitting that this spring we managed to empty the remaining contents of that 15,984 sq.ft building at 8505 Delmeade where many of us have memories, (especially Pierre) some good and some..... pretty awful. The building is now just an empty shell as a result of our efforts during the past 30 plus days. It is presently being gutted to the core by the new owners as we speak.

The old showroom as seen from the main entrance
The old showroom as seen from the main entrance

Another type of business will inhabit its walls, since the heyday of the coin operated amusement games business has been over for a while now. The last of the old time distributors have all but stopped flogging that dead horse, and we can now add Alouette to that list. This all makes sense as time marches on and one thing we can do in order to retain the past glory of those arcade days of our youth is by playing some of the games that lurked in those many street locations.

I can see the new owners of 8505 Delmeade and the construction workers from my new office and my more compact parts dept. window at 8500 Chemin Delmeade. I watch them tearing out the insides of that old obsolete building and feel no attachment nor regrets mainly because future projects are already in motion. I don't like to let one thing end before I see another begin. And yes, it is occasionally nice to think back and consider all that has happened in one's career and shed a tear or have a belly laugh, but life remains long, wild, wonderous and weird. So yes, share your good and bad stories when you have a chance, MAACA is a good place to do that. And it is crucial to remember that the narrative is more important than the random facts we now have been conditioned to accept as information. This is a new age you know, where so many blurbs/claims can be floated around without much anchor allowing a wide variety of people and their interpretations to quickly claim them as a truth. So without the narrative, questioning and the necessary back and forth which thinking provides in order to forge & support an idea, there will be manipulation and strong claims posing as facts, that is the principle reason that people seem to be getting dumber when they repeat information without narrative.

Yikes !!!

And as this coin operated life persists, it has become more compact and manageable as the interference from others subsides, hence my work has become much more enjoyable lately. I don't have much to complain about since I have no more boisterous bosses, asinine upper managers, nor piss ant partners and certainly no nagging mates. Add to that the freedom to choose my clients based on the hassle vs. value factor ratio and this is all going to be just ducky. The only problem left to deal with now is that I am working for the most demanding person I have ever known - myself. Hell, I have done this before, but this time I am totally free to do what I do best and won't have to answer to anybody who knows less than I do about the work, nor will I deal with clients that are time sucks and who still believe that various random bits of information on the web (or elsewhere) without a narrative to support the claim equals an understanding. I could fill a book with what people don't know about this business and how thinking for oneself has become a problem for so many. And as far as I understand being alive at this later stage of life, (almost 60 now) there is no longer any point in sharing or even discussing anything with anyone who can't participate in thoughtful discourse. Hell, there seems to be more and more of these fuzzheads coming around, almost seems like they are being bred by marketing teams, apps and businesses that have understood that not providing the complete narrative, only bits of selected information about a product is an efficient way for selling lots of their useless low quality shit.

"Know thyself", the two most important words ever uttered. Then, always keep an eye on the latest experts and marketers who thrive on hype and noise and count on you to look at your phone for all the answers before doing things. Solid work and the concrete results still speaks for themselves, since cause and effect aren't going anywhere soon.

Rab

Same hours and same availability for parts
Same hours and same availability for parts

https://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php? ... ler=stores

New entrance to new office/chapter
New entrance to new office/chapter
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the last stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scroundrels & judas goats.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Dave W.
MAACA Half-ling
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Closing statement about ALOUETTE @ the 8505 Chemin Delmeade location (1969-2022)

Post by Dave W. »

Screenshot_20220611-100934_Maps.jpg
Did the outdoor sign get saved?

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Re: Closing statement about ALOUETTE @ the 8505 Chemin Delmeade location (1969-2022)

Post by R.A.B. »

Dave W. wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:11 am
Did the outdoor sign get saved?
Yes it is still there. Not sure it is worth saving Dave, unless ofcourse it means something special to you, then by all means I can ask that it not be smashed up.

I have saved some swag & weirdness that came up from the gutting. More pics to follow on this thread at a later date, meanwhile the morning edit has been completed on the opening post.

Have a banner day people.

Rab

20220526_103403.jpg
20220526_103428.jpg
20220612_090400.jpg
20220613_155632.jpg
Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the last stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scroundrels & judas goats.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Chris Silver »

It is sad to see the end of an era. It’s good to see you’re able to prosper and keep the spirit alive. Definitely be down to the new place for a visit when the time comes.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Chris Silver wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:07 pm
It is sad to see the end of an era. It’s good to see you’re able to prosper and keep the spirit alive. Definitely be down to the new place for a visit when the time comes.
Yeah, I understand that sort of sad feeling when eras end, but this closure really didn't bother me as much as the closure of the Laniel Automatic offices back in the early 2000's. Even Hip Coin going into receivership in July of 2005 due to shady financial reporting at the head office (Hip Interactive Inc.) was a downer. Those were indeed sad endings and an awful kick in the pants because they didn't have to happen that way. Incomptetance and greed are not good reasons to gamble and lose what is already working well. Human folly indeed.

Back to your words Silver.

And as far as keeping the spirit alive, I can certainly keep doing that for a long while yet, but I don't think that "prosper" is the right word for this type of business. It really is more about maintaining what one has managed to build from the ashes of an industry that has pretty well expired and mutated into something similar and is trying to find its' new identity. And so, I can do that maintaining thing as well. Steady as she goes, no bullshit or marketing hype, just solid work built on reputation, repeat business and quality, - you know, long term thinking.

Your Gottlieb "Time Line" drop targets will be here Friday, so drop in if you have the chance, no stress, it is going to be a great summer.

Rab

Hallway lobby. Chill time.
Hallway lobby. Chill time.
Building entrance - ring and enter sort of thing.
Building entrance - ring and enter sort of thing.
Entrance to parts room and office.
Entrance to parts room and office.
Attachments
Self serve corner & pre-order pick up shelf.  Riubber rings, lamps, leds, locks, hardware etc.
Self serve corner & pre-order pick up shelf. Riubber rings, lamps, leds, locks, hardware etc.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by WARLOCK »

This "progression of changes" is fascinating; having been present so many times since we "closed" Pitt Street together: back in May of 2015 my friend...
We both built other new projects since then and have worked on several of them together. Never have I felt so satisfied to see where you are going and headed to 'now'.

Congrats on this great new stage; as you go forward as you must. I will visit soon; to "savour" the fruits of all this new and 'intentional' labour to build the NEW future from the PAST history of it all.
Looking forward to the interesting new possibilities of what is to come next. I allude to nothing in particular; but all of it just the same, as we always do at each gathering you host: for what is to come.

Cheers. Salut.
All the very best my friend.

and Merci and a sincere thank you...
my immense gratitude for this grande journey...

More soon...
Than I can even imagine...

And that:
Is quite a lot.

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth
Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Fifty »

A fresh start is always a good feeling. Bonus points for using 'piss ant' in your story.

That AMUSEMENT sign is great. I'd love to install it over the headboard in my bedroom. ;)

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Well, I had a good look at the sign on Saturday and how it was mounted on that outside wall. There is a story behind it ofcourse, but I am told that the way it was installed, in a very hasty fashion, that it will be a challenge to take this thing down without having it fall apart in pieces. That sort of makes sense in a metaphorical way. :lol:

So no go Dave, unless you want to try and take it down yourself on a weekend. And Fifty, you may have to make a sign that reads EXCERCISE instead of AMSUEMENT for your bedroom wall. ;)
8505 Ch. Delmeade.jpg

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

For those of us that avoided Alouette for so many years; this seems so incredible to see this complete as a "circuit" and be done now.
For those of us that never stepped in the building until R.A.B. (Robert) arrived; it is even a more "surreal" experience than I can describe.

I appreciate all the effort and work that went into this company from the late 1960's until the present day...
It is even better that it continues across the street now; where Alouette and RAB (with parts and advice) continues on... insane...

Wild and crazy.
Cheers. Salut.

All the very best.
Be there again very soon.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

WARLOCK wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:59 pm
For those of us that avoided Alouette for so many years; this seems so incredible to see this complete as a "circuit" and be done now.
For those of us that never stepped in the building until R.A.B. (Robert) arrived; it is even a more "surreal" experience than I can describe.

I appreciate all the effort and work that went into this company from the late 1960's until the present day...
It is even better that it continues across the street now; where Alouette and RAB (with parts and advice) continues on... insane...

Wild and crazy.
Cheers. Salut.

All the very best.
Be there again very soon.
Thanks for your words my friend, it has been a hell of a ride. Settled into the new digs now and digging it like no other gig of late.

So this weird experience called life goes on, all one can do (when still interested) is stay with it, work smart and hard and mean it for as long as possible. You and I are not the type to like sitting idle, in our case it just ends up being what Neitzsche called "miserable ease", - some people think that is the goal.

Being happy is not a goal, it is something you come accross when you find out what you are about, and that goes back to knowing yourself. Also helpful is keeping the screwballs at bay to the best of your capacities in order to make sure you are good to move forward and work/live/play in a "non-sense free" environment for as long as possible, and yes, they will likely inherit the earth (or what is left of it) and at the end of it all the screwballs will get it.

Rab

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

Indeed. We know some of this intuitively, and some through living.
We have discussed our "irrelevance" to the planet for some time now. The truth stings.
The "Future" is not ours; to quote a wise friend of mine.It is a tough thing to accept that new truth.
Having said that; we also know that "there is a part we can still play" in supporting and assisting: "the forward".

More on this another day.
Cheers. Salut. All the very best.

More soon. (since we are back)

Sparky 2.0
MAACA OG
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Sparky 2.0 »

Well, I guess I can post on this. Oddly enough, with it's long history, I have a hard time with the concept of " the end".

Things change, morph, evolve... pick your term. But I believe that as long as you are there to greet people, sell some parts and chew the fat, I don't see it as an end. Just a change. The building is different, but the spirit still remains. Which is most important.

See you soon, to bring you a GTB lockbar, and shoot the shit.

"Golden ages" only end when we decide they do. So.... keep on raging against the dying of the light.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”