Kids today don't know nuthin' about Audio (Funny!)

Talk about anything that you would like.
Steph
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 42 times

Kids today don't know nuthin' about Audio (Funny!)

Post by Steph »

[Here we go ... " old man rant about to start " ... ]

When I was a teen (...in the 80's) , we didn't have no stinkin' Internet
so music played a big part of a teenage boy's life....

I went to concerts, I bought albums, ... then CD's ,
and even built myself a really cool "Music Room" with acoustic panels and pretty decent audio equipment.
I really enjoyed listening to music, and had a wide range of tastes.

Fast-forward 30 years , and kids today stream music on their phones using wireless earbuds.
High-tech for sure, ... but it's just not the same.

My oldest boy (20 yrs old) started to get into the band The Talking Heads,
so I took out my old "Speaking in Tongues" album and fired-up my old Amp and turn table.

I made sure to put the volume "plenty" loud when the drums kick-in on "Burning Down the House" .
My other son (16yr old) who was sitting across the room said "Wow, I can feel the music from here"
[... you can't do that with earbuds ! ]

Neither of my 3 boys had actually ever listened to "loud" music from "loud speakers" .
(...they've never been to a concert or dance bar ; sad really...)

They seemed impressed... (...although they would never admit that to their crusty old dad ! )

The funniest part is after the 5th song, my son asks, " why did it stop, what about the other songs ? "
He had no clue you had to flip the album over. They never understood what a "B side" was before ...

Geez .... kids today ! ;-)

/old man rant off

Steph

IMG_0475s.JPG
IMG_0478s.JPG
2084 : Last Hope for Humanity

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: Kids today don't know nuthin' about Audio (Funny!)

Post by GILV »

That's funny, "why did it stop?" :)
Je disait a ma femme l'autre fois que quand tu dit a tes enfants" c'etait pas comme ça avant" c'est le début de la vieillesse. :FP:

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 21 times

Post by cap »

I keep telling my kids that when I was young, there were only 4 stations on the black and white TV. I watched Neil Armstrong live on that thing.
Our phone was wired, I mean truly wired, you couldn't unplug it from the wall. Not surprisingly, that wire was long, very loooong.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Fifty »

I remember going to a wrecking yard with my Dad when I was a kid. He tried trading in 3 old AM radios for 1 FM one. The guy behind the counter wouldn't make the trade. Even back then I knew FM was a hell of a lot better than AM. I shared the story with my kids and they didn't know what AM and FM even were.

They are very familiar with albums, and we taught them about B sides, but I got rid off all my hi-fidelity stereo equipment, so they won't ever know the pleasure of listening to Comfortably Numb in a dark room with just the glow from the LEDs on the equipment to see by. I'm not even sure they know what the word stereo means.
Last edited by Fifty on Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by cait001 »

Every generation will contend with the antiquated technology and traditions surrounding it created by the rituals of the prior generation.
*circle of life plays whistfully from your Amazon controlled speaker despite you not asking it to*
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Pinballin'
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pinballin' »

Make sure they don't do this! :)

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Guard »

That was.......awesome!!!
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Star Trip/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/Alien Poker/Viking/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/High Speed/ Lethal Weapon

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic