stages of a collector

Talk about anything that you would like.
JD3
Admins

stages of a collector

Post by JD3 »

oldie but a goodie!

What stage are you at?

The Arcade collectors FIVE stages

Stage 1
- Introduction to Arcade Games or reliving old memories of a classic from their youth
- Usually this constitutes purchase of "ONE" machine for their home.....
- Starts looking for resources to find the several broken parts on his machine to make it "perfect" (or to make it work properly)

Stage 2
- Now, its "Hey, this is even better than I remember....."
- Buying spree begins, dependent on monetary funds
- The new collectors starts buying machines that do not work, missing parts, etc. to save money, or to finance more machines
- Collector has to start justifying his actions to his family and wife
- Machines start taking up places in the house they should not be
- Collector begins thinking about building a "game room" (seriously)

Stage 3
- The new collector realizes he/she might be over their head technically, as they look around and sees how many broken machines they own, and frantically is looking for parts, their technical skills continue to improve as a result
- They start to begin to enjoy the aspect of restoring machines more than play and collecting
- They begin to sell several machines, to purchase other or games that have more overall collector appeal.
- He/she begins to finalize the "Most Wanted List"

Stage 4
- The collector zones in on specific eras and games, trying to collector the best from that period of time, based on what he/she can afford
- The collector sells off the "crap" and fine tunes his/her collection
- The collector begins to invite other collectors to his home, to share the fun and show off his/her finds
- His/Her family is annoyed but they still support them as long "as you keep it in the garage"

Stage 5
- Collector is hardcore, only has specific games on “the list” or loses certain interest in once sought after games, will not accept games with "flaws", to include *NIB, or *HUO machines
- Collector cannot stand if a switch is malfunctioning and must fix it immediately
- Owns all or most of the machines they ever wanted
- Sells games, to reduce maintenance requirements
- Projects are still in the garage, but devotes time to other pursuits
- Only plays games when company is around
- Looks at their collection as "a part of Arcade history"
- Occasionally dabbles in locating "Just one more machine for his/her collection....."

Author Unknown

*NIB: New in Box
*HUO: A machine which was purchased new and home use only

gmaranda
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: stages of a collector

Post by gmaranda »

Here is my stage after taking a bit of different stages:

-He/she begins to finalize the "Most Wanted List"
-The collector begins to invite other collectors to his home, to share the fun and show off his/her finds
-Collector cannot stand if a switch is malfunctioning and must fix it immediately
-Only plays games when company is around

Magneto
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Magneto »

I remember reading this when I was at starting out at Stage 1.....Now here it is again and now im at Stage 5!! :lol: :lol: :FP:

still funny to read!! :D

Vengeance
MAACA OG

Post by Vengeance »

I don't really fit into any of those stages, but as quite content currently in my new setup and still enjoying the hobby :)
Adam B.

machine.slave

Post by machine.slave »

I'm stuck in an endless loop, somewhere between stages 3 and 5. I'll either be stuck in this loop forever or get bored and get off the ride eventually.

This is how adult ADD works, unfortunately. Good times.

aerostarz
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by aerostarz »

I'm at stage 3 with the pins and stage 5 with my slot cars and race track...
Pins: Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, STTNG, TZ, WOZ, Batman Forever, Popeye

Vids: Asteroids Deluxe, Star Wars, Major Havoc, Tempest, Neo Geo 4 Slot, Street Fighter 2, Track n Field, Dragon's Lair, Championship Sprint, Super Hang On, Super GT, Rygar, Galaga, Centipede, Galaxian Cocktail, 720

wbradley
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by wbradley »

I like the previous "stages" posted on the old forum...I think they were a sticky too.

Presently, stage 5 and stage 4 dont quite describe me. I have been in the hobby about 3 years now and have seen a significant drop in income over that period. Otherwise I'd probably be buying another NIB or preordering WOZ as well as continuing to grow.
BSD, CII with CPR p/f, JD, SM, TOM (loaner), Zizzle POTC (pimped)
Interested in LOTS! Limited space and quality over quantity.

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by redketchup »

I will say stage 4 for me
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

shock_me
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shock_me »

I've been through various points of each stage and definitely sat in stage 5 for a while. Now i'm somewhere back in stage 3 and loving it all over again. Weird because a year and a half ago my machines were getting dusty and working sporadically. I was actually thinking about selling off everything, and getting out. Then I found this site and realized the hobby was still going stronger than ever, so I got a big boost in interest to say the least.

ken_cinder
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by ken_cinder »

I'd say mainly stage 3 for me, I've recently been buying parts I don't even need....because I think I might need them down the road. I have pin board sets for systems I don't even own, and some for manufacturers I don't even have a game at all from.

I have lists based on manufacturers/systems for pins I would like...split into ones I MUST have at some point as well.

websherpa

Post by websherpa »

Stage 6

You stop responding to posts on evaluations of collector "stages" because you realize that it's a futile display of one-up-manship and simply highlights the depth of your addiction.

websherpa

Post by websherpa »

I think this was the original list of stages if I'm not mistaken:
http://s107351202.onlinehome.us/cgi-bin ... 265119743/ ala Glenn (aka Mrniceguy) and my addition (#11)

...the traditional rites of passage of pinball ownership. To enlighten, or remind you, here are the steps :

1. Initial curiosity, followed eventually by trepidatious purchase of a single pin.

2. Promise to wife that 1 machine is all you are ever getting.

3. Realization that owning 1 pin is ridiculous. You either own many pins or none at all. You opt for the former.

4. Begin process of justifying to wife why having 1 pin is silly. She capitulates. You buy between 2 and 5 more pins.

5. An interim period lasting between 2 and 6 months where you are almost satisfied with owning half-dozen B or C-list titles.

6. Through visitation of the homes of other collectors, you realize you will never be happy with your stagnant and finite collection of tattered and boring pins.

7. The process of justifying the purchase of more pins by employing the "logic" that they are actually investments and you will be able to flip them eventually.

8. The search for areas of your basement that are being under-utilized. Statement such as "She can really do the laundry in the garage, right?" or "Do my kids
really need that much square footage in order to play happily?" are often posed during this phase.

9. The epiphany that no matter what you do, your wife will think you are an idiot. In fact she already does. Do you really think she will respect you more if you
have 5 machines in the basement as opposed to 10, 12 or 20 ? You become enlightened. You have nothing to lose.

10. Nirvana : You have been set free. Your mind and body are awash in the pure bliss of the knowledge that an infinite supply of pins await your purchase.
No longer shall you be afraid, oppressed or remorseful. You are a man. You are a hunter. A collector, and you answer to no one.

#11 Get bored or go broke... then eventually find new expensive/obsessive interest and go back to step 1 (substitute "interest" for "pin")

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

websherpa wrote:I think this was the original list of stages if I'm not mistaken:
9. The epiphany that no matter what you do, your wife will think you are an idiot. In fact she already does. Do you really think she will respect you more if you
have 5 machines in the basement as opposed to 10, 12 or 20 ? You become enlightened. You have nothing to lose.

10. Nirvana : You have been set free. Your mind and body are awash in the pure bliss of the knowledge that an infinite supply of pins await your purchase.
No longer shall you be afraid, oppressed or remorseful. You are a man. You are a hunter. A collector, and you answer to no one.

#11 Get bored or go broke... then eventually find new expensive/obsessive interest and go back to step 1 (substitute "interest" for "pin")
For me, the first sentence of #9 is dead-on. For #10, I answered to no one... except the bank. Maybe on 11...

sensfreak
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by sensfreak »

I think I am at Stage 5 now but I will let the people that have played my collection comment. ;)
Have:
CV, SST, TZ, MMR LE.

Looking For:
LOTR, TOM, and TOTAN.
http://www.pinballowners.com/sensfreak

wbradley
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by wbradley »

The comment in stage 5 that the collector must fix a broken switch immediately...not so sure you need to be that far along to feel that way. Realistically, Im a 4 with that one exception.
BSD, CII with CPR p/f, JD, SM, TOM (loaner), Zizzle POTC (pimped)
Interested in LOTS! Limited space and quality over quantity.

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

I'm between stage 4 and 5 :)
I don't have time to fix switch but i cannot live with non-working switch :lol:
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Splitskull
Admins
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Splitskull »

hehehe both JD3 and websherpa have good points in them .. ahahaha

tiger_31
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by tiger_31 »

I'M in the stages 3 , and someday i will probably be in stages 4 , but i dont think i will ever go in stage 5 !!
My pin : Taxi , Dungeon & dragons , (EM) Top Score , big show et Bali ( bingo )

Vids : , Mame 12 000 games , Mega touch , Super chexx hockey Canadiens VS Nordique

* and yes , pinball is a desease

jojob
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by jojob »

for me ,its stage 2 1/2....my wife is here...... :?
dungeons and dragons de bally
f-14 tomcat de williams

JD3
Admins

Post by JD3 »

i kinda started over does a new stage need to be created?

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Sure.

Stage 6
- sell it all and get out
- take a break to recover
- NOS returns!
- repeat Stages 1-6 as desired or required

YellowMustard
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by YellowMustard »

stage 2:-)))
Pins:SpaceStation, :FP: :FP: :FP:

gone but not forgotten: EFTLW, Secret Service, Gorgar, Elektra, Medusa, CENTAUR, FIREPOWER, ANDROMEDA(2), HS II The getaway, BSD(2), THE SHADOW, SPACE SHUTTLE, SM, X-MEN (shakered), GRAND PRIX (Italian reimport), Tales From The crypt, BSD(2), Nitro Ground Shaker, Harlem Globetrotters, INDY500, THE SHADOW (2), Twilightzone, RESCUE 911, Stern Playboy, BOP, Roadshow, highspeed, DrWho, Starwars DE

Vids: Outrun2 SP twin, mini outrun upright,mini monaco gP, MAME Xbox powered
Gone: MAME in NBA cab (sold)

Menace
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Menace »

I'm into stage 5 for sure...

SkyBry
MAACA Super Contributor