MAD Amusements - their idea of customer service

Talk about anything that you would like.
Bish
MAACA Millennial

MAD Amusements - their idea of customer service

Post by Bish »

I was looking at a eddy sensor that MAD Amusements had listed on eBay. I wrote, and asked if they would ship to Canada. They send me a message back, saying they would not - go to their website and buy it there, and then they'd ship it. I replied that I was annoyed with this, I'd be far more likely to go to their competitor`s website and I'd be sure to share the experience with other Canadian collectors.

Their e-mail advised me that based on previous correspondance they weren't going to answer me, but then decided to afterall (I don't remember any previous correspondance to be quite honest). They wanted me to know they have kept all their e-mails back more than a decade. I don`t know if that was intended to be some kind of threat, should I decide to respond.

They advised me that people who frequent pinball forums are nothing but trouble and I am the type of customer who is never happy and just wants to make the rules. They further said they don't need customers telling them how to ship or how to run their business.

They also wanted me to know that giving them a negative review would not do anything to harm their business...I suppose all customers are just mindless sheep. It would't be how I'd structure a business, if I were running one.

I'm thinking this is a lot of fuss for a $20 part. Stick it in a small USPS flat rate shipping box, and send it off. Charge the customer the appropriate shipping, and chances are you'll have a satisfied customer.

Call a customer on his shit, and start dictating terms, and throwing a fancy legal statement on the end of your e-mail, directing it's legally private correspondance and hinting there will be legal action if the customer reposts the e-mail, and I think you can practically guarantee you'll never do business with that person again.

My thought at this point, even though they've said I likely won't find the part elsewhere, is to go under the assumption that they made more than one of whatever he's selling, and I'll eventually get one...At this point I don't really care if it's more expensive.

I had a long response typed out to MAD Amusements, but I've decided against sending it. It's clearly not going to change anything there. Instead, I decided to advise you that I felt their e-mail was ignorant and rude and condescending, and allow you to make up your own mind where you'll be buying parts from next...

I just haven't seen such shitty customer service in a long time, and I'm a little pissed off..., so I thought I'd share it with you. Enjoy, and Happy Canada Day, eh?

Atomicboy
MAACA Motormouth

Re: MAD Amusements - their idea of customer service

Post by Atomicboy »

This is how they do business. It's hit or miss, and everyone will have good or bad things to say. I've had both. Mike clearly doesn't care for non-US pinball people, or their money.

Just order the part, you'll get it. in the end, Mike is one of those vendors that has a lot of stuff that others don't get. Marco is still the worst.
WTB: nadda

Bish
MAACA Millennial

Post by Bish »

LOL. No thanks...I'll find it elsewhere. I'm not in any big hurry.

I'll vote with my dollars and shop elsewhere.

websherpa

Post by websherpa »

You're banging your head against the wall. There's a reason it's called Mad Amusements. Either you play the game and treat him like god's gift to pinball parts, or he lumps you in with this nebulous "creature" that he thinks is the "great Canadian menace." When I want something from Mad (that you can't get elsewhere - edit: which seems to happen more often than one would like), I simply am polite, don't communicate very much, send money, thank him when it arrives, and allisgoot.
Last edited by websherpa on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gmaranda
MAACA Chatterbox

Post by gmaranda »

sorry that you had to be one more.............mad statistic. Took me 6 months to finally arrange to get a part. That site is my last resort if I cannot find anywhere else. Worst dealings I had ever had.

take care

Ricker
MAACA Half-ling

Post by Ricker »

In the real world, if people were treated this way by the customer service staff, they would not have a job for long and that is not a threat, that is reality.

When I studied marketing, I remember one prof mentioned that only a very small percentage of customers will actually comment to a company. The rest simply take their money & walk away never to do business with them again. When I think about how hard it is to get a customer why would anyone be so abrasive? And to insult a group of people north of his border is incredible. Is this simply from a lack of education? A smart person would not act this way and to even threaten someone in an email is childish. It makes me think that this person realizes that what he is doing is wrong and just does not want to let others know.
Pins - http://www.pinballowners.com/ricker

WTB: Fathom, Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe, Mata Hari, Silverball Mania, Mystic, Count Down, TX-Sector, Jacks Open, Roller Disco, Seawitch, Cheetah, Star Gazer, Pharaoh, Solar Fire, Jungle Lord, Grand Lizard, Firepower II, Scorpion, Star Light, Star Trek TNG, Phantom Of The Opera, Nautilus (Playmatic), Dialed In.

websherpa

Post by websherpa »

We are talking about a one-man company, of a possibly retired, or semi-retired operator? (just guessing) who has had his fair share of difficulty with Lyme Disease, and chooses to piss off a little less than 10% of his market because it's "too much trouble to ship to Canadians, all I get are complaints." He can do what he wants, he doesn't care about the 10%. The other 80% are not going to boycott him to help the 10%. (I think he's pissed off a lot of American customers as well, particularly when he was in hospital.) So if you DO want something from him, you play along, don't complain, and cross your fingers. Or you simply shop elsewhere.

Having dealt with Mad Amusements and been "in the waiting queue" while he's been off sick before, I totally understand why he flipped off Bish (not that it was right to do so, but I can see that Bish pushed exactly the button that triggers such responses from Mike). eBay charges a hefty commission, plus you have to pay them monthly for a merchant account. So Mike tries to "squeeze" that additional buck out of the sale by getting you to order direct. Then Bish goes about trying to tell him how to do his business (and happens to be a Canadian, which Mike is already tired of receiving shipping cost complaints and having to deal with lost packages, and I am SURE forgot to send packages while he was hospitalized - and FILL IN YOUR OWN ANNOYANCE HERE). It was like you pushed his "DON'T POKE ME HERE" button.

Not Bishes fault for sure, but you know Mike doesn't care, he's a character, a curmudgeon, and probably suffered greatly from the very types of symptoms (from Lyme Disease) that would make anyone grumpy and a little unstable, and possibly can't hold down any other stable income. It's not a real excuse for his behaviour, but the pattern is pretty well established.

Down South
MAACA Buck

Post by Down South »

I live in the US and have never bought from MAD, but after reading this I would probably hesitate before trying them. Maybe there are reasons as suggested above but a person/business can handle it in a nicer manner. There seems to be a question of character here and borders probably don't make a difference for that kind of issue.

wbradley
MAACA Millennial

Post by wbradley »

Blaine, if you followed the drama on RGP or Pinside regarding MAD's international (non)shipments then you will know Mike is not good at PR at all. If tested, he will prove this, so knowing this it's your choice whether you deal with him or not. At least he never had $100 or $1000 of your cash with no communication for months.

Rudeness never seems to be in short supply in our society unfortunately.
BSD, CII with CPR p/f, JD, SM, TOM (loaner), Zizzle POTC (pimped)
Interested in LOTS! Limited space and quality over quantity.

Bish
MAACA Millennial

Post by Bish »

wbradley wrote:Blaine, if you followed the drama on RGP or Pinside regarding MAD's international (non)shipments then you will know Mike is not good at PR at all. If tested, he will prove this, so knowing this it's your choice whether you deal with him or not. At least he never had $100 or $1000 of your cash with no communication for months.

Rudeness never seems to be in short supply in our society unfortunately.

I haven't followed the drama at all...however, I can tell you if I walked into a store and complained about poor customer service, someone would listen to me, and at least apologize if they did nothing else.

If you're selling on eBay, there must be a client base who is willing to buy from you, or you wouldn't be selling there in the first place. Most people are pretty accommodating, and when you ask them to ship to you in Canada, they just through the part in a USPS international flat rate box, and that's the end of it. To get a sermon on how "people who read and post on newsgroups are nothing but trouble", and "I won't stand for you telling me how to run my business" is incredibly stupid. Not only will he not get my business, I'd wager I've made a few people here think twice about encountering him too.

It takes a long time to make a customer, but only seconds to lose one.

If he would listen to customers from time to time, I'm sure he'd only experience gains.

Like I said earlier...they made more than one of whatever he's selling. I don't mind buying used rather than buying from him.

Bish
MAACA Millennial

Post by Bish »

Ok..I've been reading up on RGP more about this...this guy seems to have a history of absolutely screwing anyone over who is placing an international order - slow shipping, extra shipping charges...waiting until authorities are involved to ship parts, never returning e-mails. It definitely looks like I've dodged a bullet by not shopping there. His rude affronts are only the surface layer to a much more disturbing set of behaviours.

I haven't even gotten into the pinside discussions yet.

websherpa

Post by websherpa »

Bish wrote: If you're selling on eBay, there must be a client base who is willing to buy from you, or you wouldn't be selling there in the first place.
As a complete aside, doesn't have to be entirely true. I have a couple customers who front eBay stores primarily for marketing purposes (and tie-in to Google) and to drive sales to their main website ecommerce. That's why eBay spends time trying to make it difficult to link back to your own site for more product information, etc.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”