Repair Log for the Rock-Ola 446 and Seeburg Entertainer I got from Slither

The place to discuss about all things related to jukeboxes!!
mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Repair Log for the Rock-Ola 446 and Seeburg Entertainer I got from Slither

Postby mrmikeman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 am

So thanks to Slither I am back in the hobby after a 10 year break! Been back only for just over a week and already loving it and realizing how much I missed it :)
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25532

After reading some repair logs posted here about pins I realized I suck! The Rock-Ola was definitely very interesting in getting running and I should have taken pictures but I was too intellectually stimulated to even think about it. I had never worked on or even seen a Rock-Ola! I owned a Seeburg LS1 for a while and worked on a Wurlitzer (I think) for Shoeguy. First thing was to get the parts manual (good for assembly diagrams) and service manual (schematics & theory of operation) for both. I recommend theboneyardpdflibrary.com. $35USD for 1 year access to pretty much any jukebox material you can think of. Was cheaper than buying reprints.

Rock-Ola 446
Repairs done:
- Complete mech assembly had been removed from machine at some point I am guessing and all springs and hold-down bolts were removed. Luckily found them in the machine. Re-installed.
- Gripper mech had been disassembled and then re-assembled improperly and mechanically jammed. Re-assembled properly and aligned. Took a while to get it right.
- Rear cam (with the 4 micro-switches) was loose and mis-aligned. This one also took a few tries to get it right, even with the service manual.
- Gripper motor was non-working from over-heating on a jammed mech (from the incorrect assembly mentioned above). Twas all gunked up inside, 1 brush was broken. Cleaned/lubricated armature/bushings/bearings and re-soldered the brush wire to the brass contact tab. My favourite ingenious fix by far lol.
- Most wiper switches on write-in and read-out wheels were not working/making contact. Lots of contact cleaner was used here but NO abrasive materials!!
- Write-in process was not working. Relay in credit unit was not making any sound. Opened it up. Credit unit was packed with pink insulation and a dead mouse. Once cleaned it worked.
- Alignment with magazine and gripper arm was a little off. Better now but not quite as good as I want it. Will get back to it.
- Sound was only coming out of 1 side (stereo) but both sides in mono. That narrowed the problem to the input side of the amp circuit. Took a while to find the culprit. Pickup switch (magnetic/ceramic selector) was dirty. Contact cleaner to the rescue again.

So now the machine works as it should but still needs TLC with:
- I have buzzing that builds up and gets loud during play. Tapping the machine makes it go away most of the time. I have new capacitors for the amp to see if it will help. I suspect it's static electricity that builds up on the tone arm. Grounding it to the chassis makes it worse though. Making a song selection (using the write-in system) while a record is playing makes a deafening noise. The write-in motor is creating electrical interference/noise in the amp circuit. I was thinking power supply caps(dried up electrolytic caps) but there are none(electrolytic)! If the amp cap kit doesn't fix I am somewhat stumped. Will also re-check the pick-up grounding strap to the amp. It's a bit rusted and may not be making electrical contact.
- Needs a few #53 bulbs for the "Now Playing" display, which is off by 1 anyway so I need to align that on the mech.
- Drill the coin box lock. I can see another mouse nest in there.
- Cleaning the exterior!!! Need to really clean this thing. Am thinking of soaking (only for a few minutes) the front board with the speaker cloth in warm water/oxy-clean. Obviously with all speakers and wiring removed. Then need to clean the glass on both sides.
- Whiten the yellowed plastics. This includes the title strip holders and the front speaker panel illumination plastic. Not sure about this one yet. Yes I have read all the "tricks" online just not sure how I will proceed yet. It's all pretty brittle.
- Need to re-glue the Rock-Ola emblem and model number plates. I have them but they are loose.

Then hopefully sell it to fund the repair of the Seeburg, which is the one I'd like to keep.

Seeburg STD2 Entertainer
Repairs done:
- Write-in and read-out circuits cleaned and now functioning. Picks-up, plays, and returns records to the magazine.

Remaining issues (so far):
- Some broken/loose wiring in there. It's been hacked somewhat. Need to repair/clean that mess up.
- No sound. Hooked up the seeburg mech/player to another amp and no sound. Hooked up a real turntable to the seeburg amp and no sound either. Bummer.
- Heatsink for right side on amp gets burning to the touch when powered on. Probably shorted transistor(s). Seems pretty common on these things. So the amp needs a cap kit, new components to replace the blown ones that I need to identify, and new PCB supports as they are broken and the 2 boards (pre-amp & driver) are loose in the amp.
- 1 main speaker has a hole in it (mouse ate it's way through it). So I need a 12" speaker. Might as well get 2 to keep them the same.
- Burnt #53 bulbs in the selection/now playing control center.
- 70% of the chaser lights not working. Either burnt bulbs (2182D) or shitty wiring (they used IDC for this) or both.
- Chaser lights not "chasing". 5-bit controller not working as it should.
- Strip and repaint(spray gun) the black parts of the exterior. Someone painted it with a brush and you can see the brush strokes. Annoys me.
- The shiny metal parts have a little bit of surface rust so need to buff that out.
- Clean it (especially the infinity lighting and front speaker grill).
- The back panel and coin door were missing but Slither found them so I will get them soon! WOOT! :D

That's it so far!

Pins coming in the near future.... ;)
Last edited by mrmikeman on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - The Captain is back in da houuuuuse
NIB MMr coming 10/2019 (shhhh... It's a secret!) :shock:

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... But there were memorable ones such as MB, TZ, LOTR, TSPP, DM, T2, FH, RS, TFTC, HS, and many more...

sylvain
MAACA Wacko

Re: Repair Log for the Rock-Ola 446 and Seeburg Entertainer I got from Slither

Postby sylvain » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Welcome back Mike.
Those juke repairs are impressive, Well done, sir.
And, these things are usually quite heavy!

If you have a chance later, I think many people would probably appreciate pics of your jukes,
including some showing the insides such as the carrousel, gripper, selector pins, assemblies, speakers, amp, etc.
I suspect quite a few here might never have seen the inside of a jukebox...

Good luck for your upcoming pins!
Cheers,
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Postby OTTOgd » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:58 pm

sylvain wrote:If you have a chance later, I think many people would probably appreciate pics of your jukes,
including some showing the insides such as the carrousel, gripper, selector pins, assemblies, speakers, amp, etc.

Yes, please! Great thread but some of us are 'visual learners'. :oops:

That Seeburg STD2 Entertainer is gorgeous. Good luck!

... and very nice of Slither/James. Generous yet again. *double-thumbs up*

/subscribed topic

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:35 am

OTTOgd wrote:
sylvain wrote:If you have a chance later, I think many people would probably appreciate pics of your jukes,

Yes, please! Great thread but some of us are 'visual learners'. :oops:

Will take pics this weekend. Really too bad I didn't do that while fixing, especially that "burnt" motor. Saved quite a few $$$ by repairing instead of replacing. I will definitely take pics of the Seeburg repair once I get to it. Getting my "first" pin on Saturday and it's not booting up(WPC) so that'll be my focus til I get it up and running. :)

Cheers,
Lineup:

PINS

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... But there were memorable ones such as MB, TZ, LOTR, TSPP, DM, T2, FH, RS, TFTC, HS, and many more...

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:02 pm

I have pics of where I am at. And 2 videos showing a 45 rpm and the auto speed adjusting for a 33 1/3 rpm.

You will notice the buzzing and also the need for lubrication in the mech. I cancelled the plays btw. They didn’t just stop playing lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFO1UU5Aqw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yNqDnuxC8h8

Cheers,
Attachments
3FC2A80E-E30A-4509-A224-03E99F4ACFDD.jpeg
073C40B9-BB74-4AF4-8BA8-558B1D79DD97.jpeg
281A6FD9-1771-407B-A2A5-BE79D9B1121D.jpeg
F15F7B23-D36E-4EFD-B7A3-71220C00A7A9.jpeg
B318B83E-1645-44E9-9634-2B0EDE4B8443.jpeg
EE6214BD-92FA-419A-83DA-5F64A6973922.jpeg
6D79C942-A4EB-4A8E-BB09-096545F5DFDC.jpeg
Lineup:

PINS

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:19 pm

Repairs and restoration blogs are my favourite part of this site. They also build an invaluable knowledge base for everyone coming into the hobby / a similar project after you. Thanks for sharing.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers
COUNTERTOP: 1907 Mills Little Dream Baseball, 1933 Poolette, Bradmatic Ballwin De Luxe, 1937 Genco Junior, 1934 Gottlieb Merry-Go-Round, 1933 Exhibit Supply Select-Em, 2004 Apollo 1 Arepachi (CRアレパチ アポロ1号), 2016 Thunder Dragon Z (CRサンダードラゴンZ), 1932 Gottlieb Cloverleaf, 1964 Wulff Rialto, 2015 Ranma 1/2 (CRA羽根らんま1/2R), Sammy Miracle Hustler Arrangeball, Glory Ball Deluxe (out for repair), スマートボール (Smart Ball) (lent), 1934 PAMCO Contact Master, 1936 Bally Challenger (lent), 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series (out for restoration), 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Cannon Fire, 1934 Fleet, 1935 Impact, 1935 Spot-Lite
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Cosmic Avenger, Varkon, Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:22 am

cait001 wrote:Repairs and restoration blogs are my favourite part of this site. They also build an invaluable knowledge base for everyone coming into the hobby / a similar project after you. Thanks for sharing.

No prob. I will get better pics of the areas I worked on once I get into the cleaning. Also received my gopro head mount yesterday. Just easier than stopping and starting all the time to take pics.. (I think.. We'll see how that works out).

Cheers,
Lineup:

PINS

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:31 pm

So replaced all the caps on the amp. The size difference on some is hilarious. The 2 main ones were the size of D-Cells. The replacements about half the size of a AA. lol.

However my buzzing problem remains somewhat. When it starts playing a record, I think there's a magnetic field that builds up on the tone arm/needle. Gets super loud and then gone. The rest of the record plays without any buzzing. Next record comes on, same thing. More research is needed!!

Pics aren't in order. First one shows after chassis and first board done working on last one. Second picture shows the before look. I wanted a visual reference for polarity, forgetting that it's in the service manual..

Cheers,
Attachments
58820318503--2B164AFE-F85D-42E2-BC46-AB65E102897E.JPG
58795810012--1914011A-FA86-41A8-BFF9-8BB48AA0A3ED.JPG
Lineup:

PINS

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Return to “Jukeboxes only”