Tech question? Ask Rob @ Pinball Medics!

Rob@PinballMedics
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 27 times

Tech question? Ask Rob @ Pinball Medics!

Post by Rob@PinballMedics »

Hello everyone,

I made this thread in order to answer any pinball and arcade questions that you may have.

A bit on me, I am a certified electrician and have been working on pinball and arcade machines for years now. Past hobbies include classic cars and racing, as I ran a high-end performance shop. I specialize in pinball electronics, having built my own test benches to test boards and displays for most pinballs:

- Williams (System 3-6, 7, 11 (all), WPC, WPC95
- Bally / Stern
- Gottlieb (System 1, 80 (all), System 3)
- Game Plan
- Allied Leisure
- Most videogames

Any questions that you would have, write them down here! I am here to help.

Rob @ Pinball Medics
PINBALL SALES with Warranty & Delivery in Ottawa or Montreal, and all points in between. Shipping available across Canada.

EXPERT PINBALL REPAIR for all brands. Specializing in difficult to solve problems with Advanced Troubleshooting requiring a deep knowledge of all interrelated systems from early Solid State, Alpha-Numeric, DMD, and Modern LCD era. Games can be dropped off in Ottawa or Montreal by appointment. Call ahead and bring it to our main repair & production facility at 923 Av Girouard in Montreal, near Sherbrooke & Decarie. We can usually fix it while you wait.

BOARD REPAIR for all brands.

PINBALL PARTS via Canada Post. In stock, ready to ship.
Or Pre-Order for Free Pickup in Ottawa, Alfred, or Montreal.
Full Inventory Available in Ottawa Mon - Fri from 9am - 10pm, and weekends from 2pm - 10pm.
Basic parts are available in Montreal (call ahead), and anything ordered in advance can be picked up week days in Montreal by appointment, or Saturdays in Alfred at no charge.

THE OTTAWA PINBALL ARCADE - 2559 Baseline Rd featuring 30+ Pinball Machines & several Classic Video Games.

THE OTTAWA MONTREAL PINBALL MUSEUM Coming Soon!

https://www.pinballmedics.ca
https://ottawapinballarcade.ca

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Tech question? Ask Rob @ Pinball Medics!

Post by cap »

Would you happen to have the manual for the Spooky Shaker motor https://pinballmedics.ca/product/jersey ... -assembly/
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Rob@PinballMedics
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Rob@PinballMedics »

cap wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:23 pm
Would you happen to have the manual for the Spooky Shaker motor https://pinballmedics.ca/product/jersey ... -assembly/
Hello Cap, the instructions are with the kit, and the box is sealed from the supplier. If we open it to scan the instructions, the kit can no longer be considered as new. But we will look to see if we can find the instructions on their own.
PINBALL SALES with Warranty & Delivery in Ottawa or Montreal, and all points in between. Shipping available across Canada.

EXPERT PINBALL REPAIR for all brands. Specializing in difficult to solve problems with Advanced Troubleshooting requiring a deep knowledge of all interrelated systems from early Solid State, Alpha-Numeric, DMD, and Modern LCD era. Games can be dropped off in Ottawa or Montreal by appointment. Call ahead and bring it to our main repair & production facility at 923 Av Girouard in Montreal, near Sherbrooke & Decarie. We can usually fix it while you wait.

Full Inventory Available in Ottawa Mon - Fri from 9am - 10pm, and weekends from 2pm - 10pm.
Basic parts are available in Montreal (call ahead), and anything ordered in advance can be picked up week days in Montreal by appointment, or Saturdays in Alfred at no charge.

THE OTTAWA PINBALL ARCADE - 2559 Baseline Rd featuring 30+ Pinball Machines & several Classic Video Games.

shepP
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 3 times

Post by shepP »

Would it be possible to have an order brought to Hawkesbury?

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Mike@PinballMedics »

shepP wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:27 pm
Would it be possible to have an order brought to Hawkesbury?
No problem, you can place the order online and select "Free Local Pickup" at the Ottawa location, and Rob will bring it.

You can mention that you are picking it up in Hawkesbury in the "customer notes" field during checkout, or either way I will email to let you know the order is ready and you can remind me then.

Thanks!

Mike

shepP
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 3 times

Post by shepP »

Awesome- thanks Mike. I’ll place my order in the next couple of days.

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

cap wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:23 pm
Here are instructions for the Spooky Shaker Kit

s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg
s5.jpg

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Oh wow, I didn't expect you would find a copy. That's amazing service.
Would you know what is the spec on that Shaker J3 connector on the last page? I mean the electric signal, not the shape. That's what I was trying to find out with the manual.
The Spooky manuals don't seem to have any schematics either.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

cap wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:54 am
Oh wow, I didn't expect you would find a copy. That's amazing service.
Would you know what is the spec on that Shaker J3 connector on the last page? I mean the electric signal, not the shape. That's what I was trying to find out with the manual.
The Spooky manuals don't seem to have any schematics either.
The board distributes the 48V signal from J1 to both the J2 and J3 connector. The J1 K signal is routed to J2's "SIG" pin, and the J1 S signal is routed to J3's "SIG" pin. There's no logic on the board, it simply connects three wires from J1 to four wires (one is common) on J2 and J3.
IMG_1367 (1).jpg

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Oh shoot, I was planning to drive this shaker with a free low power coil at 12V. Is there a way to make the shaker board compatible with 12V? Or should I look at a Data East shaker maybe? It's for a WPC (Judge Dredd).

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

cap wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:54 pm
I was planning to drive this shaker with a free low power coil at 12V. Is there a way to make the shaker board compatible with 12V?
I do not recommend altering it.
cap wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:54 pm
should I look at a Data East shaker maybe? It's for a WPC (Judge Dredd).
The only model we sell that is WPC compatible is this; https://pinballmedics.ca/product/pinsha ... motor-kit/

Unfortunately, I am out of stock for all models of Pinshaker, except Williams system 9, as is my supplier.

It's difficult to say when more will be available, supply chain issues are disrupting production for many items, electronics being no exception.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

That kit kinda defeats the purpose of the project. I need to do more research on how to drive the shaker. You've been a great help. Thank you.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Please check your PMs.

runpatboyrun
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by runpatboyrun »

I just want to jump here and let everybody knows what an awesome experience I've had with Rob and Mike from Pinball Medics.

No BS, true workmanship, amazing bedside manners, dedicated people.

I have perform a playfield swap for a Xenon and once everything was completed, some issues were still plaguing the machine. I can do some mechanic work but electrical work is more challenging. They could have suggested that I buy this parts and this board but they were 100% honest. They help with the power supply and monitored the machine for a few days and make sure the issue was resolved.

The more I read in pinball forums, the more obvious it is that there are people looking to take advantage of people.

Pinballs Medics is the real deal. Reach out with trust as not only they know what they're doing but they're doing it from the heart.

Thanks Rob. Thanks Mike. I really appreciate you guys.

✌🏻

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

runpatboyrun wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:18 am
I just want to jump here and let everybody knows what an awesome experience I've had with Rob and Mike from Pinball Medics.

No BS, true workmanship, amazing bedside manners, dedicated people.

I have perform a playfield swap for a Xenon and once everything was completed, some issues were still plaguing the machine. I can do some mechanic work but electrical work is more challenging. They could have suggested that I buy this parts and this board but they were 100% honest. They help with the power supply and monitored the machine for a few days and make sure the issue was resolved.

The more I read in pinball forums, the more obvious it is that there are people looking to take advantage of people.

Pinballs Medics is the real deal. Reach out with trust as not only they know what they're doing but they're doing it from the heart.

Thanks Rob. Thanks Mike. I really appreciate you guys.

✌🏻
Mike's also got that curly hair going, lol, part of the whole package! Yes to what you said, very helpful, passionate, knowledgeable guys!

Return to “Pinball Medics - Repair Blog / Tech Talks / Updates”