Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

This is the place where useless stuff goes.
User avatar
pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 4006
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa/Gatineau
Contact:

Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby pharoah007 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 am

I am currently shopping for a new shotgun and am looking for some input.

I can not seam to find a reason NOT to get a Remington 870. I have used this platform a lot and have no complaints. The removable chokes are a bonus, and the 870 "Jr" model (20 ga) is even a option so my wife will come shoot it as well.

anywhooo... Anyone have any reason why I should get something else? any other recommended make/models in the same price range? At this point, swappable chokes is a MUST.

Thanks.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11145
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Mrhide » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

unbelievable
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

websherpa

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby websherpa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Mrhide wrote:unbelievable


You'll have to elaborate before we know how to react. (especially since we're not sure now what you find unbelievable....) ;)
Last edited by websherpa on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
juztbecause
MAACA Collaborator
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Timmins, On.

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby juztbecause » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 pm

pharoah007 wrote:I am currently shopping for a new shotgun and am looking for some input.

I can not seam to find a reason NOT to get a Remington 870. I have used this platform a lot and have no complaints. The removable chokes are a bonus, and the 870 "Jr" model (20 ga) is even a option so my wife will come shoot it as well.

anywhooo... Anyone have any reason why I should get something else? any other recommended make/models in the same price range? At this point, swappable chokes is a MUST.

Thanks.



The 870 is a solid unit, too many aftermarket accessories to mention. The only other I've used a lot is the 1100, but that is another class all by itself.

The 870 is one of those units you can toss over the side of a mountain, drop it into a stream and drag it through the dirt all in the same day and it would still function well.

Since it has been many years for me what does one of these little gems retail for now ?
Fun Fact: Why even eat Corn? It comes out just the same. We might as well eat pennies or little watch batteries. It would serve the same function.


User avatar
tartagliag
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Just outside Beautiful Ottawa

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby tartagliag » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:35 pm

juztbecause wrote:
pharoah007 wrote:I am currently shopping for a new shotgun and am looking for some input.

I can not seam to find a reason NOT to get a Remington 870. I have used this platform a lot and have no complaints. The removable chokes are a bonus, and the 870 "Jr" model (20 ga) is even a option so my wife will come shoot it as well.

anywhooo... Anyone have any reason why I should get something else? any other recommended make/models in the same price range? At this point, swappable chokes is a MUST.

Thanks.



The 870 is a solid unit, too many aftermarket accessories to mention. The only other I've used a lot is the 1100, but that is another class all by itself.

The 870 is one of those units you can toss over the side of a mountain, drop it into a stream and drag it through the dirt all in the same day and it would still function well.

Since it has been many years for me what does one of these little gems retail for now ?


That's what I’ve heard as well....very reliable and dependable.

Good choice!

tartagliag
please allow me to introduce myself...

User avatar
pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 4006
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa/Gatineau
Contact:

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby pharoah007 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Mrhide wrote:unbelievable



I know you are.

juztbecause wrote:
Since it has been many years for me what does one of these little gems retail for now ?


Approx 350 - 400 bones.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

User avatar
Honey Badger
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 2831
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Honey Badger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 pm

I just pissed my pants.
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

User avatar
pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 4006
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa/Gatineau
Contact:

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby pharoah007 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Williams Fan wrote:I just pissed my pants.



lol, I have that effect on you.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

User avatar
Toeckeder
MAACA Priest
Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:58 am
Location: Blainville, Quebec

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Toeckeder » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Malaise :?
Pins: HIGH SPEED, GUNS N ROSES, FIREPOWER, SORCERER, LASER WAR, FATHOM, NOW, BLACKOUT, F-14 TOMCAT, ALIEN POKER, LASER BALL, TOMMY, FIREPOWER II, ALGAR
WTB: NO VACANCY
Vid: DIY MAME, TEMPEST, NUCLEUS CANNON
Gone: Punch-Out!!, TARGET ALPHA, STARGATE, SPIRIT OF 76, ROLLERGAMES, TAXI, TOMMY, EARTHSHAKER, BACK TO THE FUTURE, TWILIGHT ZONE, TX SECTOR, CENTAUR, AC/DC PRO, ROLLERGAMES, WHIRLWIND, TIME MACHINE, GALAGA, GRAND LIZARD, TORPEDO ALLEY

User avatar
pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 4006
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa/Gatineau
Contact:

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby pharoah007 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Toeckeder wrote:Malaise :?



"Malaise (/məˈleɪz/ mal-AZE) is a feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness, of being "out of sorts", often the first indication of an infection or other disease. Malaise is often defined in medical literature as a "general feeling of being unwell". The word has existed in the French language since at least the 12th century.

The term is also often used figuratively in other contexts; for example, "economic malaise" refers to an economy that is stagnant or in recession (compare depression). The term is particularly associated with the 1973–75 recession.[1] A speech made by President Jimmy Carter in 1979 is commonly referred to as the "malaise" speech, even though Carter did not actually use the term in this speech."



Thanks for the wonderful information you have added to this post.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11145
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Mrhide » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm

websherpa wrote:
Mrhide wrote:unbelievable


You'll have to elaborate before we know how to react. (especially since we're not sure now what you find unbelievable....) ;)


C'est incroyable qu'on ait des rednecks pour parler de fusils ici!

c'est encore plus incroyable qu'il en cherche un pour que sa femme s'en serve aussi!

mais le top, c'est qu'il a oublié les enfants!! ils vont faire comment pour s'en servir eux si c'est pas adapté pour eux?!!?

INCROYABLE JE VOUS DIT!!




edit: smiley face added
Image
Last edited by Mrhide on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

User avatar
pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 4006
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa/Gatineau
Contact:

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby pharoah007 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Piss off with that garbage Mrhide.

You want to attack me and call me names??......You are a coward and do it in French because you KNOW I do not speak french.

Guess what my REDNECK wife DOES speak French :)

You wont see me calling your wife names, nor making assumptions on if you are a good enough parent to teach your kids how to be a responsible member of society.

If my wife can use it, awesome.

If my kids use it EVEN BETTER, know why? BECAUSE I WILL TEACH MY KIDS HOW TO BE RESPONSIBLE!

I had a firearm in my hands at a young age and have yet to commit any crimes with one.

If you have a opinion you want to express, in French or English, then START YOUR OWN POST..no need for this BULLSHIT in my post.

If there was only a place where there was no bullshit???,,,,er wait...


now back on topic...please.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

websherpa

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby websherpa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Sorry, here I go contributing off topic. [Please ignore.]

And here I thought Mrhide was commenting on something else... but he did respond to my question (also off topic, but exceedingly more succinct).

I personally read his French post as being "tongue in cheek" and meant to troll pharoah007 as a misdirection (or did I miss something else about advocating gunplay for children) - and his wife should bitch slap him one for that sexist remark. ;-)

I think we've pretty much established that just about ANY topic is fair game since it's not a requirement that it be directly related to arcade or pinballs. So I personally think both posts are somewhat valid, even if Mr. Hide's was off-topic AND taken the wrong way (Zak, how could you possibly take Phil's "redneck" comment seriously as an insult).

I was trained in hunting and safe rifle and shot gun use as a child. I gave up gun ownership and use at my spouse's request because I'm no longer a hunter/marksman and it made no sense having a rifle at home, especially once we adopted.

I would say as a society that there is a very valid argument both ways, that 1) wide and proper use of firearms as a skill is a dying talent (particularly in urban locales), and that 2) we really have relatively little need for civilian firearms (flame suit on) - although I would not be surprised for the later suggestion to be strongly opposed by rural folk, farmers and traditional aboriginal hunters. I personally would advocate also that there should be exceedingly stringent guidelines for the sale and keeping of firearms and ammunition of any kind in a home - or some thought put into a purpose built storage facility/service with forensic tracking - since it seems like it's all too easy for an accident or unintended misuse to occur these days.

As a former hunting enthusiast, I will say that the model described does indeed sound like a classic.

User avatar
OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 pm
Location: Brampton, Jewel of the Golden Horseshoe

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Good luck with your decision.
Last edited by OTTOgd on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11145
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Mrhide » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:42 pm

websherpa wrote:So I personally think both posts are somewhat valid, even if Mr. Hide's was off-topic AND taken the wrong way (Zak, how could you possibly take Phil's "redneck" comment seriously as an insult).


THANK GOD SOMEBODY GOT IT!! thank you Wayne!

Guys, and Girls, And kids,

my intention was OF COURSE to bait any gun lovers !! like DUH!! writing it in french was, I think, bloody brilliant!! :lol:

The gun debate is something that we haven't done here, as far as I remember, and there is enough killings OF 6 YEAR OLD KIDS in the news with guns that it's really easy to take sides very easily and in a public, place, forum, setting, to appear to be an EXTREMIST when trying to defend your point of view and that, in both sides.

I think I've meet enough of you "cool, intelligent and relaxed" pinball dudes to know that

a) that are no extremists among ... err... wait a minute...hmmmm ... ok scratch that! :lol:

b) I'm a pretty down to earth guy that will speak his mind to say what everybody's ... err scratch that too! what a PORTION of people are thinking!

c) this is MAACA!! PM SENT TO SPARKY! ... oh wait ... he is getting old and wise and he did remove his comment, probably cause of the smell :mrgreen: :roll:


Game on !!
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

Sparky

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Sparky » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Mrhide wrote:c) this is MAACA!! PM SENT TO SPARKY! ... oh wait ... he is getting old and wise and he did remove his comment, probably cause of the smell :mrgreen: :roll:


Nope. Another person deleted my constructive post. I got shit for helping. But I understand. Guns are a touchy subject.

User avatar
OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 pm
Location: Brampton, Jewel of the Golden Horseshoe

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Good luck with your decision.
Last edited by OTTOgd on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

websherpa

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby websherpa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Ahh, I see what happened. We all know too much about each other, and sometimes we post in public what should be a PM or at the very least kept amongst the known group. I'm betting Mr Hide "unbelievable" wasn't commenting on the original post at all, just as I suspected.

My own post was meant to cue him to point that out (or not), and from there he just went for the dark humour. :tescon

Or not. :ugeek:

User avatar
pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 4006
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa/Gatineau
Contact:

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby pharoah007 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm

How about you all go start a "I love/Hate" guns post somewhere else.....because I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

Unless....you are offering opinions on a new 20/12 gauge, then I am listening.

Admins...can you clean all the crap out of this post please.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

Sparky

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Sparky » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:01 pm

pharoah007 wrote:Admins...can you clean all the crap out of this post please.


No. Because the last thing I need right now is to be called a censoring dictator again.

You can all delete your own posts.

User avatar
Toeckeder
MAACA Priest
Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:58 am
Location: Blainville, Quebec

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Toeckeder » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Bang on

pharoah007 wrote:
Toeckeder wrote:Malaise :?



"Malaise (/məˈleɪz/ mal-AZE) is a feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness, of being "out of sorts", often the first indication of an infection or other disease. Malaise is often defined in medical literature as a "general feeling of being unwell". The word has existed in the French language since at least the 12th century.

Thanks for the wonderful information you have added to this post.
Pins: HIGH SPEED, GUNS N ROSES, FIREPOWER, SORCERER, LASER WAR, FATHOM, NOW, BLACKOUT, F-14 TOMCAT, ALIEN POKER, LASER BALL, TOMMY, FIREPOWER II, ALGAR
WTB: NO VACANCY
Vid: DIY MAME, TEMPEST, NUCLEUS CANNON
Gone: Punch-Out!!, TARGET ALPHA, STARGATE, SPIRIT OF 76, ROLLERGAMES, TAXI, TOMMY, EARTHSHAKER, BACK TO THE FUTURE, TWILIGHT ZONE, TX SECTOR, CENTAUR, AC/DC PRO, ROLLERGAMES, WHIRLWIND, TIME MACHINE, GALAGA, GRAND LIZARD, TORPEDO ALLEY

User avatar
juztbecause
MAACA Collaborator
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Timmins, On.

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby juztbecause » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 pm

FYI Mrhide/Phil/shit disturber = all the same guy.

At this point I am unsure if he has an odd sense of humour or only claims to have one after he gets called out
about a post.

The senior members tolerate him so I have to assume he is a decent sort, I can't pass judgement myself however
I do find him an intersting character study or perhaps like myself he is just a "character" ;) .
Fun Fact: Why even eat Corn? It comes out just the same. We might as well eat pennies or little watch batteries. It would serve the same function.

User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11145
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Mrhide » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 pm

pharoah007 wrote:Unless....you are offering opinions on a new 20/12 gauge, then I am listening.


double barel gauge 10 was always my favorite.




LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

User avatar
Splitskull
Admins
Posts: 3605
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:59 pm
Location: Mascouche, Qc.

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Splitskull » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I didnt do shit lol.. dont look at me

User avatar
Splitskull
Admins
Posts: 3605
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:59 pm
Location: Mascouche, Qc.

Re: Questions for any Hunting/Firearms enthusists here....

Postby Splitskull » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:26 pm

also.. we need to start a gunrevolution now?



Return to “Recycle bin”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests