What makes flippers weak?

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
GILV
MAACA Buck
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

What makes flippers weak?

Post by GILV »

I thought that my RFM had good strong flippers but now I realize that maybe they are'nt so good, with my HUO RFM I had many years ago, I could easilly make the ball go all the way up the left ramp with my left flipper but not with this RFM, I can do it, but not as easilly, plus when the ball comes down from the side ramps I could easilly make the jump ramp without catching the ball first with my HUO RFM but not with this one.
What exactly makes flippers get weak over the years? What part in this flipper rebuild kit makes the most effect on making the flippers strong again?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283624093225?h ... SwZH1diobP

It's a pretty simple question but I can't find a simple answer to it.

cap
MAACA Millennial
Been liked: 13 times

Re: What makes flippers weak?

Post by cap »

The coil is the first thing to check even though it is not part of the rebuild kit.
My personal guess would be in order: sleeve, EOS switch, coil stop, plunger, screws, link
You might also want to change the bushing. They tend to crack with time.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

semicolin
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by semicolin »

Agree with cap's assessment, although before I go replacing anything I check the EOS gap. If it breaks too early or gaps too wide, that means the power is cutting out too early. If the flipper is still weak after tightening up the gap and making sure it only gaps at the end of stroke, then rebuild.

GILV
MAACA Buck

Post by GILV »

Thanks for the info.
The EOS switch was one of the first things I adjusted when I got the game, so, it is optimal.
So you recommend that I rebuild, plus a new coil?

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Mrhide »

si la sleeve entre pas comme popa dans moman, yé temps de changer le coil. Sinon c'est pas ca le problème
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

cap
MAACA Millennial

Post by cap »

Change the coil no matter what if it's the wrong part number like what happened to me on my JD.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

GILV
MAACA Buck

Post by GILV »

Mrhide wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:11 am
si la sleeve entre pas comme popa dans moman, yé temps de changer le coil. Sinon c'est pas ca le problème
OK, merci, je vais vérifier ça.

GILV
MAACA Buck

Post by GILV »

cap wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:48 am
Change the coil no matter what if it's the wrong part number like what happened to me on my JD.
Do you mean that you bought a JD with the wrong flipper coils, or you changed your flipper coils and bought the wrong coils?

cap
MAACA Millennial

Post by cap »

GILV wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:43 pm
cap wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:48 am
Do you mean that you bought a JD with the wrong flipper coils, or you changed your flipper coils and bought the wrong coils?
I bought a JD and it came with different coils for the two flippers at the bottom. The coil was working fine but I had to change it since it was the weaker part number. Conversely, you don't want a coil too strong since the fast ball might break things on the playfield, most likely the plastics or drop targets.

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Fifty »

GILV wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:18 am
Thanks for the info.
The EOS switch was one of the first things I adjusted when I got the game, so, it is optimal.
So you recommend that I rebuild, plus a new coil?
A coil is the absolute last thing I would replace unless it's burnt, or swollen.

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”