The most satisfying shot in pinball?

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Hippochrome
MAACA Motormouth

The most satisfying shot in pinball?

Post by Hippochrome »

I was chatting with Duane, while playing some pinball the other night, and we got into a neat debate on which machine has "the most satisfying shot in pinball"...

I say it's in Diner; when you shoot the ball up the ramp, twice, and on the 2nd shot(its a timed shot) you get it in the cup and it spins around....oh, so satisfying! (hence why I bought the game again)

However, in Funhouse, it's pretty damn good when you shoot the ball in Rudy's mouth to start Multiball

Duane said it's in NGG; the hole in one shot (ball launch ramp)...I agree, it is very satisfying!

What machine do you feel has "the most satisfying shot in pinball"?

machine.slave

Re: The most satisfying shot in pinball?

Post by machine.slave »

The Picard Maneuver in STTNG is pretty satisfying.. as well as the constant looping shot with the mini flipper on JD.

Also I love the combo shots in Spiderman

cooke
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by cooke »

Easy.... there's two...

1) Firepower.... after locking two balls in the lower saucers and then smashing the ball through the lit spinner (to really get it smoking) up to the top kick out to start multiball.

2) Lightning.... Hitting the lit drop target to score BOTH the special and the extra ball during Valhalla time with 1 second left on the clock. Hearing the CRACK just as the machine counts down to "ONE" is pure joy.

Vengeance
MAACA OG

Post by Vengeance »

Hole in one is great.

I'd submit that the DTR on LOTR is pretty good as well, but only when it's a two ball DTR and you have to lock one ball in the ring and then knock it out with the second ball.
Adam B.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

I think it's one of those shots where you had to get all the conditions right and then make the shot. For NGG hole in one there is no real set up for it. I am thinking something more like TZ multiball and making the jackpot with the powerball or stacking two balls in the lock on IJ and making the triple jackpot. Along those lines.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

MadTitan
MAACA Millennial

Post by MadTitan »

For me the most satisfying shot is when you lock the third castle lock on Dracula when you have mist and coffin multiball going. It's quite a feat and the 3 vampire chicks screeching right before you hear "thirrrrrty miiiiillllllonnnnnn" gets me pumped

TwilightZone
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TwilightZone »

necro_nemesis wrote:I think it's one of those shots where you had to get all the conditions right and then make the shot. For NGG hole in one there is no real set up for it. I am thinking something more like TZ multiball and making the jackpot with the powerball or stacking two balls in the lock on IJ and making the triple jackpot. Along those lines.
Greg almost got it right. I had said the most satisfying shot in pinball is when you get the hole in one shot AND it is lite for Super Jackpot. That is an amazing feeling.

Hitting the hole in one at any time is awesome, but when it is lite and you have all the balls flying all over and you manage to hit that Super Jackpot? Heaven!

Duane
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

machine.slave

Post by machine.slave »

forgot to mention.. Super Jackpot during multiball in BF is also a great shot, and damn near impossible (for me anyway -- I've only done it once)..

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Hitting the jackpot ramp on High Speed during multiball is very satisfying and doesn't happen often for me. The siren lamp is going and the crescendo sounds are kicking in and the first jackpot will usually set off the 'free game' knocker which then sets off another set of sounds. Good fun!

On Gottlieb Atlantis, dropping the last target in the left drop-target row is very rewarding with a health ker-chunk of the 10-bank resetting.

On ST:TNG, during Borg multiball, hitting the jackpot shot is always fun. Curse them cyborgs! Actually, hitting just about anything mode-related is fun in that game ... except when Data says, "Had you propelled the ball along the proper trajectory, you would have been rewarded". Arrrrgh!

Vengeance
MAACA OG

Post by Vengeance »

OTTOgd wrote: ... except when Data says, "Had you propelled the ball along the proper trajectory, you would have been rewarded". Arrrrgh!
Just double flip and get a free 10 mil.
Adam B.

pharoah007

Post by pharoah007 »

for me it was the Demolition Time (or whatever it is called) uber duber jackpot in DM. The right ramp after you do all MB's. Awards you your jackpot totals form all of your MB's. Can be some HUGE points. the right ramp flasher goes off all the time until you drain or nail the shot, stress.

Vengeance
MAACA OG

Post by Vengeance »

Oh, Vacation Jackpot on Wh20 is pure awesomeness!
Adam B.

Hippochrome
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Hippochrome »

necro_nemesis wrote:I think it's one of those shots where you had to get all the conditions right and then make the shot. For NGG hole in one there is no real set up for it. I am thinking something more like TZ multiball and making the jackpot with the powerball or stacking two balls in the lock on IJ and making the triple jackpot. Along those lines.
Not really what I was thinking....its fun in everytime starting Multiball...heck thats the "big show". What I'm looking for is just one shot that feels really really good.

In TZ I don't find has a "one shot" that feels satisfying. I "enjoy": shooting the ball in the lock to stop the mode music to play the Banzai Run music, getting the powerball back on the gumball machine, and getting the ball in the hole with the manga flippers....but they're not really "satisfying" (i.e. you hit it, do a fist pump, and say "ahhhhhh, all right!")

Same deal with JM...fun, fast game, but no "The Shot".....(EDIT)however, hitting the orbit 3 or 4 times in a row feels fantastic, because at that point the ball has sped-up to 100miles an hour and you cant even see it anymore...."its a holy crap, holy crap, holy crappppp!" type shot.

Vengeance
MAACA OG

Post by Vengeance »

Hippochrome wrote: In TZ I don't find has a "one shot" that feels satisfying. I "enjoy": shooting the ball in the lock to stop the mode music to play the Banzai Run music, getting the powerball back on the gumball machine, and getting the ball in the hole with the manga flippers....but they're not really "satisfying" (i.e. you hit it, do a fist pump, and say "ahhhhhh, all right!")

Same deal with JM...fun, fast game, but no "The Shot".
I'd say for TZ, getting a Powerball multiball jackpot is pretty dam satisfying. Trying to keep all those balls going while trying to work on on the power playfield is pretty epic.

But yea I got nothing for JM
Adam B.

jonny_eh
MAACA Wacko

Post by jonny_eh »

Shooting the accelerator on The Getaway feels really awesome. Especially if you can get three balls in at once.

Also, hitting the mode saucer in The Shadow always did it for me for some reason, dunno why. Maybe because I almost always missed it?
I Currently Own:
TZ
MM
TRON
ST:PRO
LOTR

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

The skull screaming on No Fear is hilarious...

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Vengeance wrote:
OTTOgd wrote: ... except when Data says, "Had you propelled the ball along the proper trajectory, you would have been rewarded". Arrrrgh!
Just double flip and get a free 10 mil.
Ya, I know, but he usually only pipes up when you suck @ss. :x

Menace
MAACA Wacko

Post by Menace »

Vengeance wrote:Oh, Vacation Jackpot on Wh20 is pure awesomeness!
Hell yeah, I 100% agree with that!

D

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Sparky wrote:The skull screaming on No Fear is hilarious...
AFAIK it's Steve screaming which I find even more humorous.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

b1buwg97
MAACA Chatterbox

Post by b1buwg97 »

When you play at skill set level...

Plunger Shot to start is the BEST!
Anyone who knows Terry knows that he's full of poo and likes to stir the pot. It's just part of his ironic personality and fits well with his asshole facade." -Cooke

A world without guys like Terry in it would probably be like the future world in Demolition Man. One filled with 47-year-old virgin men sitting around in their beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener". -Sparky

machine.slave

Post by machine.slave »

OTTOgd wrote: Ya, I know, but he usually only pipes up when you suck @ss. :x
Actually you know you're sucking ass when Picard whispers "good luck" before starting your ball

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Been liked: 18 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

Stern Flight 2000, after you made letters ''blast off'' (no change lane), the countdown 5-4-3-2-1 and shot the 3rd ball in the ball acumulator, one the the best satisfying shot i know :)
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Chris Bardon
MAACA Half-ling

Post by Chris Bardon »

Destroy the ring is pretty damn cool, especially since it makes the machine go absolutely insane after you do it. I hadn't realized that you could set it up so it wasn't a double shot-I thought having to use one ball to knock the other out of the magnet was a neat idea.

It also isn't by any means a hard shot, but I think the third lock in Theatre of Magic is great. Having the magnet grab the ball is always satisfying for some reason.

Holy_Pickle
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Holy_Pickle »

NGG Hole in one ''Super Jackpot''
Owned: LOTR SS NGG TOTAN HOUSECADE

s.stebel
MAACA Silent Type
Been liked: 1 time

Post by s.stebel »

getting it in REDS mouth!

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”