Do and don't with a pinball.

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
pharoah007

Re: Do and don't with a pinball.

Post by pharoah007 »

Do..

Top up your life insurance when going to Allentown.

Went there with some dude on bald tires one year...that was fun. :shock:

All other years were in the HBV and that is always a deadly experience because the HBV is not a place where the driver cares. :FP:

Do not..

Eat the fried cheese curds in Allentown. I have it on good authority that you will not sh!t for a week.

Offer the produce Nazi at Allentown 2 bucks for a vine of grapes, when he is selling a box of 5 vines for 5 bucks....he does not like taking more $$ than he is asking and will just throw that food in the dumpster.

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

twnotter wrote:Never mess with display power wire with power on. I did this, shorted it to the back box door hinge. Little did I know that it was way ovet fused which took out the transformer and high voltage section of the power supply.

A good idea that when you get a new pin, make sure fuses are correct amperage.

Yes the fuses should be checked before even plugging in the game. Over amp fuses will blow things.
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

rocket30
MAACA Buck

Post by rocket30 »

pharoah007 wrote:
quarter grabber wrote:
rocket30 wrote:One of many thing. Do not try to removed or installed a playfield from the machine by yourself, unless your 6'5 and got Arnold pipe, usually the end result is not good. For me some broken plastics. Body system is the way to go.Who is next with a story?
I don't see how this one can be true? I have taken the playfield out of almost all my pins by myself.

PIPES![/quote
image.jpeg
with EM you don't need this tool, but my Pinbot I should of use it.
Serge
Pinbot,Old Chicago, Wild Life and Falstaff.
Spin Out,Buccaneer,Sure Shot-Traded

quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

Post by quarter grabber »

pharoah007 wrote:PIPES!
It's easy when you have T-Rex arms :lol:
tyrannosaurus_rex.png

Honey Badger
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Honey Badger »

Do...buy everything you want

Don't...ever live in a house where you need to move pins up and down stairs (walk-in basement houses rule)
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

DodgeThatOne
MAACA Silent Type
Has liked: 3 times

Post by DodgeThatOne »

When you are a pedestrian and your plan is to bring back the pinball by calling a taxi cab, make sure it make sense or that is easy to find a minivan to bring it back beforehand not to bother the nice seller too much or for too long! ;o) For the record the seller was really awesome, jut look like the newbie I was! ;o)

MadTitan
MAACA Millennial

Post by MadTitan »

Do Not: Take a pin upstairs by yourself with a staircat that has been sitting unplugged for months! Catapulting is sure to follow.

Do: Plug in your staircat after every use!

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris Silver »

Whenever you buy or sell a pin make sure you have all of the parts with it. Especially don't forget the legs. And take your balls out especially if you're doing a 3 Hour drive. So you don't have to listen to all that shit banging around in the back.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man, Blackout, Alien Poker
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

ALJO
MAACA Motormouth

Post by ALJO »

Chris Silver wrote:Whenever you buy or sell a pin make sure you have all of the parts with it. Especially don't forget the legs. And take your balls out especially if you're doing a 3 Hour drive. So you don't have to listen to all that shit banging around in the back.

Don't keep parts you have from a game you sold too long, because you might lose them. ;)
Youv reminded me think of your Af-Tor manual that I still have and I also have 2 bolts for your Af-Tor head Chris.

DrDude
MAACA Half-ling

Post by DrDude »

twnotter wrote:Never mess with display power wire with power on. I did this, shorted it to the back box door hinge. Little did I know that it was way ovet fused which took out the transformer and high voltage section of the power supply.

A good idea that when you get a new pin, make sure fuses are correct amperage.
Yes, when working on a "new to you" used pin that some possible-idiot has worked on in the past, always start by inspecting EVERY fuse, and restoring to the correct values. Never power on for the first time without checking the fuses!
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

ALJO wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:Whenever you buy or sell a pin make sure you have all of the parts with it. Especially don't forget the legs. And take your balls out especially if you're doing a 3 Hour drive. So you don't have to listen to all that shit banging around in the back.

Don't keep parts you have from a game you sold too long, because you might lose them. ;)
Youv reminded me think of your Af-Tor manual that I still have and I also have 2 bolts for your Af-Tor head Chris.
Lol I printed the manual and have aviation grade hardware holding the head. All is good. It's when you forget to bring the legs is when it hurts.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man, Blackout, Alien Poker
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars

Magneto
MAACA Wacko

Post by Magneto »

DodgeThatOne wrote:When you are a pedestrian and your plan is to bring back the pinball by calling a taxi cab, make sure it make sense or that is easy to find a minivan to bring it back beforehand not to bother the nice seller too much or for too long! ;o) For the record the seller was really awesome, jut look like the newbie I was! ;o)

LOLLLLL!!
that was actually pretty cool,very resourceful on your part! :thumbup
that was less work that the last arcade machines i put on top of a Volvo!! :mrgreen: :lol: (another Dont DO!!! )

dont deliver a pin in winter with your pick up truck without the BG on and not having it all wrapped up!
snow got in and shorted the hv PS ! :FP:

actually Dont deliver pins.... Period!

flakeloaf
MAACA Silent Type

Post by flakeloaf »

Azatotht wrote:I think raising the pf of any pins while it's ON is never a good idea..

I blew a bridge rectifier on my BSD by doing so, I assume something shorted cause it rebooted instantly, bad feeling at it's best..
Lowering the PF while the machine's on isn't a great idea either, especially if you forgot where you just put the prop rod. Welcome to Jurassic Spark.

Menace
MAACA Wacko

Post by Menace »

Don't ever oil your coils... ever. 8-)

D

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

MadTitan wrote:Do Not: Take a pin upstairs by yourself with a staircat that has been sitting unplugged for months! Catapulting is sure to follow.

Do: Plug in your staircat after every use!

I am so glad you survived that, I just cant imagine what you went through. I should sell that dolly before someone gets killed.
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

ALJO
MAACA Motormouth

Post by ALJO »

Menace wrote:Don't ever oil your coils... ever. 8-)

D

Oh yeah, why? ;) :)

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

Has anyone ever got a Charlie horse in their leg while supporting a cabinet with your knee to put on the back legs?

Pinball Junkie
MAACA QuarterPounder
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Pinball Junkie »

A good practice after moving a pinball machine by vehicle and setting it up, is to check and make sure all the connectors are seated properly on the boards before firing up. I once had a display I thought was on it's way out but it turned out to be just that.
Collection: SM(Stn),T2,HS2,CFTBL,GZ,WW,JJPOTCLE,EBD,MM,WCS94

WTB when it comes out CCR

Owned in the past: Elvis,RFM,AvengersLE,EB

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Azatotht »

Make sure to plug the ground connector back on a system 11 (or any other games for that matter). :FP:

I once sold a game to someone who didn't want me to plug it back in the garage before leaving (I have to remove heads to move games in my stairs). My neighbor is electrician and will help me out.... yes, suuure...

Got a call the next day, all fuses were going out and coils were weak.. had to drive and go have a look. Ground connector was hanging loose... oh well, never sold a game without pluging it back after that.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by semicolin »

Azatotht wrote:I once sold a game to someone who didn't want me to plug it back in the garage before leaving (I have to remove heads to move games in my stairs). My neighbor is electrician and will help me out.... yes, suuure...
DON'T BLAME IT ON THE ELECTRICIAN!

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”