Need advice

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Paul
MAACA Collaborator

Need advice

Postby Paul » Wed May 31, 2017 7:32 pm

I had a Six Million Dollar Man pin that has worked great in my basement for the last 6 years or more. I sold it to a guy who come and played it and bought it, so i delivered it to his place. I set the pin up and now its dead. When i power it on there is nothing. I dont know much about fixing pins. All the connections were marked so i know they are all plugged in right. When i power it on i dont see the little lights on the mpu. Any ideals or suggestions on what might have happened to it in the move ? It was only a 5 min drive from my house so i cant figure out what would of happened. Thanks for any advice

tombiosis
MAACA Collaborator

Re: Need advice

Postby tombiosis » Wed May 31, 2017 7:41 pm

I am no repair guy and others will chime in but...
check the fuses first. Make sure the pin connectors you unplugged are indeed plugged in correctly.(Its easy to be off by one pin so double check, and make sure they are seated all the way properly)
It is probably something silly...are you sure there is power at the plug on the wall?
Pins: 8BDlx, Stern Elvis, World PokerTour, Centaur II, Frontier

WTB: Fish Tales, Fathom, TSPP, BSD.

Quit talking and start chalking!

Completist

Postby Completist » Wed May 31, 2017 7:48 pm

I would start with the simple things - check fuses maybe one broke from movement. You have nothing? No lights or sounds / humms etc? Check power from the wall too make sure that circuit isnt tripped....
Own: Gorgar, Flight 2000 (x2), Firepower, Black Knight, Centaur, Pinbot, F-14, Taxi, Earthshaker, Whirlwind, Diner, T2, Cirqus Voltaire

WTB: Fish Tales

Completist

Postby Completist » Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Lol i was too slow typing that. But what he said ☝️
Own: Gorgar, Flight 2000 (x2), Firepower, Black Knight, Centaur, Pinbot, F-14, Taxi, Earthshaker, Whirlwind, Diner, T2, Cirqus Voltaire

WTB: Fish Tales

Paul
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:08 am

Completist wrote:I would start with the simple things - check fuses maybe one broke from movement. You have nothing? No lights or sounds / humms etc? Check power from the wall too make sure that circuit isnt tripped....

All fuses were checked and are good. Power coming from wall outlet is good as well. My buddy who is a electrician checked and said power is coming in to the pin and there is power at the switch to turn it off and on.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:14 am

If you literally have nothing at all happening, not even a light coming on, it is because the power is not getting to the power supply. Check with a multimeter to see if there is power to the power switch. If not, look if you have a fuse on the panel where the tilt bob is. If no fuse, it could be the line filter (that little silver box on the cab on the far left) or blown varistor (red disc above the silver box). If you again have no power there, then it is simply a broken power cord. It happens.

If you have power to the switch, and it transmits the power when you change it's position, then it is either a bad connector on the power supply, or a simple broken wire.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Jungle Lord, Sorcerer, Flash, Grand Lizard, Time Fantasy, Freefall, Big Game, BSD, Genesis, Totem, Bumper, Marathon, Queen of Hearts, Lady Luck (Recel), Slapshot retheme pin, Zombie Walk retheme pin, Wizard of Wor, Sprint 2, Major Havok mame, Mametendo redtent, Pintendo virtual pinball, and lots of others in restoration.

Xylog
MAACA Mage

Postby Xylog » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:32 am

Just for fun, because I've seen it happen, if there is an isolation transformer in the machine, check that the plug hasn't fallen out of it.
Flash Gordon,Spy Hunter (Pinball),Pinbot,Kick Off
RollerGames,Black Knight,Black Knight 2000,Atlantis (Bally)
Civic Center,Jungle Lord,Granny & The Gators, Expressway

Paul
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:52 am

Sparky wrote:If you literally have nothing at all happening, not even a light coming on, it is because the power is not getting to the power supply. Check with a multimeter to see if there is power to the power switch. If not, look if you have a fuse on the panel where the tilt bob is. If no fuse, it could be the line filter (that little silver box on the cab on the far left) or blown varistor (red disc above the silver box). If you again have no power there, then it is simply a broken power cord. It happens.

If you have power to the switch, and it transmits the power when you change it's position, then it is either a bad connector on the power supply, or a simple broken wire.

My buddy checked with a multimeter and there is power to the switch. I did notice by the tilt switch that there is a little red round thing that is soldered on by two little wires, one is broke, could that be the problem ?

tom_454
MAACA Barbarian

Postby tom_454 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Similar thing happened to me when I bought my first EM. I knew nothing about pins at the time and was so diss-illusioned that I didn't even look at it for a week. Then I finally popped the hood and discovered broken solder on one of the fuse holders. 5 minute fix and back in business. I am sure it will turn out to be probably a lose wire / broken solder.

Good luck.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

sylvain
MAACA Death Knight

Postby sylvain » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Make sure the J2 connector is properly connected to the transformer rectifier board header pins (it is on the bottom right-hand side inside the head).
Make sure the fuse F6 on the rectifier board is good.

.. start with this. This should be an easy issue to figure-out.

Good luck!
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”