Homepin Thunderbirds playfield

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Azatotht
Admins

Homepin Thunderbirds playfield

Postby Azatotht » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:25 am

Still not final...

22042327_1483989155010422_5878514434273937764_o.jpg
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Dave W.
MAACA Mage

Re: Homepin Thunderbirds playfield

Postby Dave W. » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:40 am

Would be nice to see a small start up company get the game developed and out to market.
Sadly, many of them run into issues somewhere along the line and it doesn't happen.

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:47 am

This playfield is awesome. I can't wait to see it action. The only thing weird is satan burning in hell on the right. How come he is so much bigger than the other characters?

Dave W. wrote:Would be nice to see a small start up company get the game developed and out to market.
Sadly, many of them run into issues somewhere along the line and it doesn't happen.

Oh, but this company barely made it after the death of the founder's wife. She was a company owner too and her assets were frozen for a long time.
What saved the company was their other business of repro games and boards, with the help of distributors intentionally loading up on inventory,
as well as the low cost to do business in China.
Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:20 am

Dave W. wrote:Would be nice to see a small start up company get the game developed and out to market.

My mind reels at the logistics for starting a company like that, but still rooting for them.

Is that right wireform just flinging the ball in to the left slings?
The ship toy in the upper right seems cool with it's extra wide ramp beneath it.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: BLY 1932 Goofy, 1931 Paces Base Ball, 1931 Paces Whiz Ball, 1970s Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles, Japanese Smart Ball tables, European pajatso machines, Bell-Fruit Cascade, arrangeball
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Fifty
MAACA Warrior

Postby Fifty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 am

cap wrote:Oh, but this company barely made it after the death of the founder's wife. She was a company owner too and her assets were frozen for a long time.
What saved the company was their other business of repro games and boards, with the help of distributors intentionally loading up on inventory,
as well as the low cost to do business in China.

Very true. Their software designer also passed away while in mid-design and they lost everything he was working on.

I'm interested to see how this one does out in the wild. Mike, the owner of the company, is a straight up engineer and everything has been engineered to death. I see there is some controversy over on Pinside now and there are reports that their board design was borrowed from Ben Heck without a 'thanks' or mention too. I am starting to wonder if it's possible to open a pinball company without some sort of bullshit on the side.

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:47 am

Fifty wrote:I see there is some controversy over on Pinside now and there are reports that their board design was borrowed from Ben Heck without a 'thanks' or mention too. I am starting to wonder if it's possible to open a pinball company without some sort of bullshit on the side.

How can you "borrow" a board design without retribution? Was the board in the public domain? Why would a "thank you" be enough?
Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Fifty wrote:I see there is some controversy over on Pinside

That's all you ever need to say. :lol:
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: BLY 1932 Goofy, 1931 Paces Base Ball, 1931 Paces Whiz Ball, 1970s Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles, Japanese Smart Ball tables, European pajatso machines, Bell-Fruit Cascade, arrangeball
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Fifty
MAACA Warrior

Postby Fifty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:57 pm

cap wrote:
Fifty wrote:I see there is some controversy over on Pinside now and there are reports that their board design was borrowed from Ben Heck without a 'thanks' or mention too. I am starting to wonder if it's possible to open a pinball company without some sort of bullshit on the side.

How can you "borrow" a board design without retribution? Was the board in the public domain? Why would a "thank you" be enough?

It was put out as open source. The common courtesy is to acknowledge the original designer by saying thank you and mentioning their name but despite the evidence that it was copied, Mike denies it still.

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”