Overlay file for Bally EightBall playfield

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
mbudman
MAACA Buck

Overlay file for Bally EightBall playfield

Postby mbudman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Hello Everyone and happy holidays!

I have created a digital overlay file (or you can have a printer print directly to wood) for Bally Eightball.

People have been so helpful here on MACCA that I would like to return the favor by sharing it (for free).

Message me if you would like a copy. It is not perfect (I did some minor customisation which can be easily changed), but I would rate it as 9.5/10.

Happy New Year!

Mark

Nanorama
MAACA Newb

Re: Overlay file for Bally EightBall playfield

Postby Nanorama » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi Mark! I recently picked an Eight Ball machine with a moderstely trashed playfield. I am having a hard time finding someone that is willing to restore it and I can't locate any slide decals, etc. for the game. I'm reluctant to install an overlay and an airbrush artist friend is out of commission for the next 3-4 months after carpal tunnel sugery. My thought is to acquire an even worse Eight Ball Playfield taking it down to bare wood and rebuilding it from that point. The other playfield will either be done by my friend or framed and hung in my den. think your file might just be what I'm looking for with regard to a bare board and as a template for the airbrush artist. With regard to using it on a bare board I assume the concept is once the board is prepped- clear coat, then nserts installed ane leveled then take this file and the board to a print shop to lay down the ink and then clear coat the print with a couple more coats of clear and then polish?
Anyhow, thanks in advance for the file. I'll keep you posted on my resto process.
Thanks,
Ron
ronkrueger1962@yahoo.com

Nanorama
MAACA Newb

Postby Nanorama » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi Mark! I recently picked an Eight Ball machine with a moderstely trashed playfield. I am having a hard time finding someone that is willing to restore it and I can't locate any slide decals, etc. for the game. I'm reluctant to install an overlay and an airbrush artist friend is out of commission for the next 3-4 months after carpal tunnel sugery. My thought is to acquire an even worse Eight Ball Playfield taking it down to bare wood and rebuilding it from that point. The other playfield will either be done by my friend or framed and hung in my den. think your file might just be what I'm looking for with regard to a bare board and as a template for the airbrush artist. With regard to using it on a bare board I assume the concept is once the board is prepped- clear coat, then nserts installed ane leveled then take this file and the board to a print shop to lay down the ink and then clear coat the print with a couple more coats of clear and then polish?
Anyhow, thanks in advance for the file. I'll keep you posted on my resto process.
Thanks,
Ron
ronkrueger1962@yahoo.com

mbudman
MAACA Buck

Postby mbudman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:36 am

Hello Ron,

I can send you the playfield file, but I do have a suggestion. There is a person that I know that takes eightball machines and customizes them to a them of the owner's choice. The results are simply spectacular! I have seen his work and he redesigns cabinet, backglass and playfield. The last one I saw him do was Jack Daniel's theme. He has also done Porsche themes and a few others. He might even have spare parts for your eightball.

If you are interested, I can put you in touch with him. He lives in Chateauguy (I am not certain where you are located).

I am happy to send you the file. You can make an overlay with it or you can print directly to wood. The choice is yours. I will send it to your yahoo address so please check your junk folder too.

I customize the triangle so you might want to change it back to original.

Let me know how it goes and how you are going to proceed.

By the way, I am in Montreal.

Take care,

Mark

letopplayer
MAACA Newb

Postby letopplayer » Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi Mark ,
my name is Stephane ,I was reading the previous post and also bought an Eight Ball with a playfield that needs love. I live in Montreal and would love to have the info of your friend that customizes those pinball machines. I would also take the file of the overlay in case that i would try the restaurations by myself.Did you use this file and if so where did you get it printed . If you have any other info that could help me with my eight ball in or around Montreal I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance
Stephane
letopplayer@gmail.com

mbudman
MAACA Buck

Postby mbudman » Thu May 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Hello Stephane,

No problem for the eightball file. You are welcome to have it.

There is a slight customization (which can be reversed) where i coloured the triangle black instead of wood colour. You can reverse if you like.

You also have the option of getting your machine completely customized as there is a fellow board member who customizes eightball pinball machines. The art he introduces is spectacular. I imagine the cost would be around 2K, altjough you would have to speak to him about this.

I also recent purchased a printer capable of printing the eight ball overlay as a sticker. You would have to manually cut out the necessary areas as well as clear coat the playfield afterwards.

Let me know which direction you would like to go and i will assist you anyway i can. I too live in Montreal so at least we are fairly xlose to each other.

Thanks,

Mark

letopplayer
MAACA Newb

Postby letopplayer » Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks Mark .... well i guess i would like to get a hold of your friend to see what he can do and at what price.... then I will decide if i do it or I do the big haul over

Thanks

mbudman
MAACA Buck

Postby mbudman » Thu May 23, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi Stephane,

The person to contact is Michael 514-651-9822.

He lives in Chateauguy. He also buys eightball machines, so if you think your restoration project is too much work, you might be able to get a good price and get another machine.

Do you have a pic of your playfield and what it looks like?

What other works needs to be done on your machine?

letopplayer
MAACA Newb

Postby letopplayer » Thu May 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Everything works, a couple of flaky lights one bumper switch kinda weak the rest is perfect .The translite is in ok condition a bit of flaky spots . The playfield is the worst MYLAR everywhere!!! I will give him a call. What is a good time to reach him ? evening , day , weekend?

mbudman
MAACA Buck

Postby mbudman » Thu May 23, 2019 1:59 pm

He is just someone i met in the same manner i correspond with you so unfortunately i do not know the best time

If you want to do an inexpensive restore, i can print the overlay for a small amount (just to cover my cost) and you can paste it on and ckear coat after. This would orobably be least expensive route.

As i kentioned i just purchased the printer and i have never tried making an overlay sticker. I am working on doing so for my Count-Down and currently in the sanding phase.

mbudman
MAACA Buck

Postby mbudman » Thu May 23, 2019 2:11 pm

He is just someone i met in the same manner i correspond with you so unfortunately i do not know the best time

If you want to do an inexpensive restore, i can print the overlay for a small amount (just to cover my cost) and you can paste it on and ckear coat after. This would orobably be least expensive route.

As i kentioned i just purchased the printer and i have never tried making an overlay sticker. I am working on doing so for my Count-Down and currently in the sanding phase.

letopplayer
MAACA Newb

Postby letopplayer » Thu May 23, 2019 6:15 pm

You can private message me to tell me how much for the Eight Ball overlay.... I'm almost certain that I am going that way.You can also email me as you wish. Thanks

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”