Opinion on Data East Hook?

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Coitusmysterioso
MAACA Collaborator

Opinion on Data East Hook?

Postby Coitusmysterioso » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 am

Does anyone here own a Data East Hook pin?

If so how would you rate the game? I'm looking for a family friendly theme for my 4 kids and I'm REALLY having a hard time making a decision on which pin to get as I've never spent this much on one before.

They all like the movie and it looks like a cool pin from the videos I've seen but I wasn't able to play it this week while at the PB HOF in Vegas.

What would be the price range for one of these units?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Re: Opinion on Data East Hook?

Postby cap » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Are you looking for suggestions for family friendly games too, or you just need a review of Hook in particular?
Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

megadeth1977
MAACA Collaborator

Postby megadeth1977 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:05 pm

A routed one goes for $1500-$2200. Any more than that you will lose $$$ when you try and sell it.
Last edited by megadeth1977 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pins:Freddy's Nightmare On Elm Street, Waterworld, Metallica Pro LED NIB,

Arcades:Neo Geo 1-slot, Playchoice -10 dual monitor with gun, Multi-cade cocktail, Mega-touch,

Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Mrhide » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:36 pm

nope.
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 pm

That's one I've never played.. I should start a list and go through it ;-)
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Coitusmysterioso
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Coitusmysterioso » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:51 pm

cap wrote:Are you looking for suggestions for family friendly games too, or you just need a review of Hook in particular?

I would always appreciate any advice. See below for a list of pins I'm interested in:

Games Played and Enjoyed:
Pinbot
Space Shuttle
F-14 Tomcat
High Speed
Big Guns
Getaway
Fish Tales

Haven’t played but interested in:
Hook (getting many negatives so probably will stay away)
Taxi
Diner
LAH
TSPP (Way out of budget)
Rocky & Bullwinkle

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 pm

High Speed is a great pin, imho. Kids and non-pinhead visitors to my home are drawn to it. And my first pin back in May 2009! Still have it!

Yes, it's a fairly simple game but going for jackpot with the siren going is awesome. Making the ramp during the frantic multi-ball is a fantastic feeling of accomplishment, imho. Addictively disappointing if jackpot is missed. Grrrrr ... try again!

I certainly don't play HS all the time but it's a great piece of pinball history. It saved pinball back in 1986! I can see why.

... but what you buy depends on how many pins you plan to own and pin-era preference.

Btw, sorry, I haven't played Hook yet. No opinion. :oops:

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:08 am

Coitusmysterioso wrote:I would always appreciate any advice.

I would obviously recommend Bullwinkle (hint, look at my signature). It's joyful, colorful, funny and all around fun. It screams family friendly. It is also reasonably priced for a DMD.

F14 plays very fast and there is a big island in the middle of the playfield blocking many angles to the top. This might be a hindrance if your kids are very young and are just flailing at first. The light show when you start multiball is a scene to behold though.

If you like TSPP, you might enjoy DE Simpsons but it's not in the same league, neither is the price.

You could also look at Earthshaker (cool shaker motor) and Cyclone.

With more money, you could look at:
DE Jurassic Park 1993 (the one with the dino that eats the balls, do not confuse with different machines with similar names)
Whitewater
DE Star Wars
Road Show
World Cup Soccer
No Good Gofers

Remember, you can try many of the machines you haven't played by buying the tables for "The Pinball Arcade". Season packs are a better deal. This might be a cheap way to test which machine your kids will like.
Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Coitusmysterioso
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Coitusmysterioso » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks for all the feedback gents. Much appreciated!

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Many pinheads don't love Hook, but if you can get it for a good price it might be great for the kids.
Seconding Rocky + Bullwinkle.
Pinbot, Space Shuttle, High Speed are all great solid state games and a really good value. Their prices are kept reasonable by the sheer number that were produced.

Getaway, Fish Tales, No Good Gofers, White Water, WCS, Roadshow, etc, are all in a price tier above the other games though.
GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Goofy, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Astro Invader
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

TwilightZone
MAACA Death Knight

Postby TwilightZone » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:17 pm

I've owned ALOT of pinballs in the last 20 years. Hands down, the best pinball for kids was Jurassic Park. Simple rules. Kids love the pinball chomping dino and you get a guaranteed multi ball if you use your smart missle on ball 3. I got bored of it and sold it, but the kids never tired of it. It was the most popular game during birthday parties.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Joomla CMS Hosting and Design - Ottawa Joomla Design
http://www.ottawajoomla.com

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

Coitusmysterioso
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Coitusmysterioso » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Yeah im sure they would LOVE that game as my boys are Dino crazy but I can't remember the last time i saw one for sale.

TwilightZone wrote:I've owned ALOT of pinballs in the last 20 years. Hands down, the best pinball for kids was Jurassic Park. Simple rules. Kids love the pinball chomping dino and you get a guaranteed multi ball if you use your smart missle on ball 3. I got bored of it and sold it, but the kids never tired of it. It was the most popular game during birthday parties.

MIkea

Postby MIkea » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 am

Our first pin was a Roller Coaster Tycoon and the kids love it. We still have it and I still play it occasionally as well. They don’t know the reference but they think the Theme Park idea is cool; lots of bright colours and lights, lots of ramps and habitrails and a crazy multi ball. My wife liked it so much I was even able to convince her I needed another pin ‘for me’. And another. Still counting....

TwilightZone
MAACA Death Knight

Postby TwilightZone » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am

Coitusmysterioso wrote:Yeah im sure they would LOVE that game as my boys are Dino crazy but I can't remember the last time i saw one for sale.

TwilightZone wrote:I've owned ALOT of pinballs in the last 20 years. Hands down, the best pinball for kids was Jurassic Park. Simple rules. Kids love the pinball chomping dino and you get a guaranteed multi ball if you use your smart missle on ball 3. I got bored of it and sold it, but the kids never tired of it. It was the most popular game during birthday parties.

It's worth posting a WTB ad and be willing to travel to get one. If my kids were still young, I'd own one in a heart beat. Perfect family game.

I have a ton of great pinball memories and this is one that stands out. It was awesome seeing a line up of kids wanting to play JP. One kid was at another machine, he looked at me and asked, "Where is the button to start multiball?". When I told him only JP had that feature, he joined the line up for JP. I had to laugh. The smart missle is a brilliant feature.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Joomla CMS Hosting and Design - Ottawa Joomla Design
http://www.ottawajoomla.com

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”