Looking for Someone to do Board Work

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Legacy69

Looking for Someone to do Board Work

Postby Legacy69 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:28 am

Have a Firepower showing its age, looking for someone to freshen up the boards and and bring the power supply up to date. Live in the Kingston area, will ship them out if needed. Recommendations?

mattnb

Re: Looking for Someone to do Board Work

Postby mattnb » Sun May 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Greg in NS does great work if you can't find anyone local.

https://flippertechpinball.weebly.com/contact.html

pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight

Postby pharoah007 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:30 am

Check references. I have sent boards away to have them returned still not working. I recently found out that someone else I know had the same thing happen with the same "tech"
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon May 14, 2018 7:40 am

OK, I will chime in here. There is a factor that many fail to understand when sending boards out for repair or refreshing...

1- These boards are OLD.
I have fixed a lot of Williams and Bally boards myself, only to have them not work. You fix one problem, but due to the sheer age of the boards, other stuff will fail. It is unavoidable. So changing pin sockets and the 40-pin connector on a System 6 doesn't mean it will be bulletproof for 20 more years. There are so many sources of issues. In fact, often, issues aren't even on the boards. I remember replacing the header pins on a Bally MPU and it still didn't work right. I had to also replace the connector pins as well, and THEN it ran good.

2- The boards are tested on a bench... not in your machine.
This is often the biggest problem. I will use one of my own machines as an example. I rebuilt a system 7 boardset and played it in my Jungle Lord for a while... never an issue. But the second I put it in my Time Fantasy, after approximately 10 games played, a switch matrix chip blows.

This being said, if you are looking for a mere power supply upgrade (caps, new diodes, replace bad header pins...), replace the 40-pin connector on your MPU and header pins on the driver and add a remote battery holder, I can do that. But I don't offer any warranty, and I won't touch a board if there is heavy corrosion from bad batteries. I will replace the parts and test the board in one of my games that I know is solid.

Let me know if that works for you.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”