Seemingly Random Bally

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Seemingly Random Bally

Post by Chris Silver »

I've noticed on my Silverball Mania and Eightball Deluxe LE that the letters at the bottom of the backglass spelling SILVERBALL and DELUXE "randomly" increase and decrease as the game plays and don't reset when you start a new game. Does anyone have any info as to why?
Attachments
IMG_3204.JPG
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

pinhead
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Seemingly Random Bally

Post by pinhead »

Yes, but they should only increase by one letter at a time. It also depends on the settings but as a rule, when you spell the complete word and score a special for it, it should advance the letter on the backglass.
On Eight Ball Deluxe for example, on factory settings, if you spell deluxe with the special lit and you just needed the last "E" then you should get 4 free games and it will reset to no lights flashing in the backbox. If DE were flashing and you got the deluxe special "DEL" will be flashing now.

I hope that helps?
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

pinhead wrote:Yes, but they should only increase by one letter at a time. It also depends on the settings but as a rule, when you spell the complete word and score a special for it, it should advance the letter on the backglass.
On Eight Ball Deluxe for example, on factory settings, if you spell deluxe with the special lit and you just needed the last "E" then you should get 4 free games and it will reset to no lights flashing in the backbox. If DE were flashing and you got the deluxe special "DEL" will be flashing now.

I hope that helps?
Yes. Thanks Geoff. It's one of those not so well known rules of the game most of us are unaware of.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

tombiosis
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by tombiosis »

I always found this to be ingenious...when walking through the arcade as a teen, if I saw that EBD only needed 1 or 2 more letters to complete "Deluxe" on the back box, I would spend my last quarters on it trying to complete deluxe to get the extra 3 free games. Smart design move to increase earnings on route.
Pins: 8BDlx, Rush Pro, The Walking Dead Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Deadpool Pro, Tommy.
Gone but not forgotten: 6M$M, Fish Tales, Sorcerer, WPT, Elvis, Centaur II, Sure Shot, Firepower, Big Buck Hunter Pro, JP pro, EBD1984.

WTB: Fathom, TSPP, BSD, GOT.

Quit talking and start chalking!