Need Help in Orleans!!!

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
lobo2k
MAACA Silent Type

Need Help in Orleans!!!

Postby lobo2k » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi everyone! I'm effectively a newbie as far as repair goes and need help!!!!

In Monday my Metallica LE blew a fuse and then some smoke came from the playfield.... No obvious signs of damage but game won't work now. It turns on but pressing the power does nothing (probably because of blown fuse for starters lol)

At any rate I need help from a tech and will pay! I've contacted pinhead and Mike who runs Neighborhood and neither have responded.

If anyone knows a tech or are handy and want to help out I'd really appreciate! Like I said will pay but if I'm paying I do want someone at least semi professional :)

Please PM if you can help out have any leads!!!!
Own: Metallica LE, Spider-Man (2007)

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Re: Need Help in Orleans!!!

Postby Murphelman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm

If there is smoke from under the playfield that may be a blown coil (Solenoid). If a fuse blew have you replaced it?

when you turn it on it won't start up or does it power up but you can't start a game?
Own
Stern: Black Knight: SoR, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Walking Dead, Jurassic Park, Austin Powers
Bally/Williams: Shadow (out on trade), Twilight Zone, HS2: Getaway, Demolition Man, Fish Tales
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Nothing
Bally: Future Spa
Williams: Laser Ball, Big Guns

Wishlist
Baywatch, Transformers, X-Men, Stern Star Trek, Paragon, Metallica, GnR, GoT
:mrgreen:

pharoah007
MAACA Wacko

Postby pharoah007 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Pinhead is a great guy but does not do many home repairs any more.

Beware of pinball medics....I'll leave it at that.

Turn it on and look at the red LEDs beside the fuses to see what one is blown.

From there we can help you narrow down the circuit.

99% a easy fix.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky
"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi
"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes
"Friendship is not about what you NEED from the other person."
- Me
I am with us.

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:09 am

Stern hotline is great if you have a little bit of know how on pinball , he'll go step by step .
I have a good assortment of fuses if your looking for something special .
I could go have a look but i'm more into 80s pins .

Denis
Pins:Eight Ball Deluxe, Black Hole , Flash Gordon, Black Knight
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , Meteor , star trek , James bond 007

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

lobo2k
MAACA Silent Type

Postby lobo2k » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:13 am

steamfitter wrote:Stern hotline is great if you have a little bit of know how on pinball , he'll go step by step .

Denis

Thanks guys.

Ya, I already know it's fuse #8 that is blown, which is according to stern tech support "connected to the coffin magnet". But maybe it is connected to multiple things, because it all started when the coil in the snake mouth failed.

Nice to hear that sounds like some of you have experienced this before lol. Ya....I need a 3A fuse right now to get started in some troubleshooting.... already been ordered just in the waiting game now... :/

I hope it's just one of the coils! (I have technician alerts around the coffin and the snake), which are right beside each other...

lobo2k
MAACA Silent Type

Postby lobo2k » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:15 am

steamfitter wrote:Stern hotline is great if you have a little bit of know how on pinball , he'll go step by step .

Denis

Dude....if I could come grab a few off you (I'll pay), that would be a great help... wouldn't have to wait for them to arrive via mail... I'll pay for em of course...

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Murphelman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 am

lobo2k wrote:

Denis

Thanks guys.

Ya, I already know it's fuse #8 that is blown, which is according to stern tech support "connected to the coffin magnet". But maybe it is connected to multiple things, because it all started when the coil in the snake mouth failed.

Nice to hear that sounds like some of you have experienced this before lol. Ya....I need a 3A fuse right now to get started in some troubleshooting.... already been ordered just in the waiting game now... :/

I hope it's just one of the coils! (I have technician alerts around the coffin and the snake), which are right beside each other...

I have 3A fuses but I am at thebother end of town in kanata.

Also have you inspected the Snake coil? Is there damage? metal touching metal? Paper on the coil burnt? Anything melted on it?
Own
Stern: Black Knight: SoR, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Walking Dead, Jurassic Park, Austin Powers
Bally/Williams: Shadow (out on trade), Twilight Zone, HS2: Getaway, Demolition Man, Fish Tales

Wishlist

lobo2k
MAACA Silent Type

Postby lobo2k » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:58 am

Murphelman wrote:
lobo2k wrote:

Denis

Thanks guys.

I have 3A fuses but I am at thebother end of town in kanata.

Also have you inspected the Snake coil? Is there damage? metal touching metal? Paper on the coil burnt? Anything melted on it?

Dude with the amount of smoke I was expecting to see SOMETHING when I lifted the playfield. NOTHING man, nothing. Looked for any signs of damage, melting, anywhere. Couldn't find shit. The "smell" of plastic was (and is still) pretty strong around the snake vicinity though. I'm hoping its just the coil and not part of the snake enclosure or whatever.

I work on March Road btw..... PM me if you can ... if you aren't too far maybe I could swing by and grab one.

I really need a "kit" of a whole bunch of misc shit like this (fuses, elastics, etc). If anyone knows of a good one / place let me know

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:04 am

https://pinballmedics.ca/

i've never had issues with Mike

Denis
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , Meteor , star trek , James bond 007

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Murphelman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:26 am

lobo2k wrote:
Dude with the amount of smoke I was expecting to see SOMETHING when I lifted the playfield. NOTHING man, nothing. Looked for any signs of damage, melting, anywhere. Couldn't find shit. The "smell" of plastic was (and is still) pretty strong around the snake vicinity though. I'm hoping its just the coil and not part of the snake enclosure or whatever.

I work on March Road btw..... PM me if you can ... if you aren't too far maybe I could swing by and grab one.

I really need a "kit" of a whole bunch of misc shit like this (fuses, elastics, etc). If anyone knows of a good one / place let me know

You are welcome to come by but I am at work until 5 and won't be home until 5:30. Message me if that works.

Burnt Plastic may be inside the coil. Possibly the coils sleeve. Coils don't typically go bad so there is a chance it may have shorted on something. If you are smelling burnt plastic, likely the coil energized, stayed energized, heated up, and melted the coil sleeve inside it. Just me guess without actually looking.
Own

Wishlist

lobo2k
MAACA Silent Type

Postby lobo2k » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:31 am

Murphelman wrote:
lobo2k wrote:

You are welcome to come by but I am at work until 5 and won't be home until 5:30. Message me if that works.

Burnt Plastic may be inside the coil. Possibly the coils sleeve. Coils don't typically go bad so there is a chance it may have shorted on something. If you are smelling burnt plastic, likely the coil energized, stayed energized, heated up, and melted the coil sleeve inside it. Just me guess without actually looking.

PM sent.....

Darkshadow
MAACA Newb

Postby Darkshadow » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:35 pm

If you are still in need of a 3a fuse, I am in Orleans and have one I would be happy to give you.

pharoah007
MAACA Wacko

Postby pharoah007 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:44 am

What is your address ..I will throw a pack of 3a fuses in the mail if you can't get any.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky
"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi
"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes
"Friendship is not about what you NEED from the other person."
- Me
I am with us.

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:31 am

I was there yesterday , burned coil on pop bumper . i have new coil and fuses .

Denis

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”