Shout-out to Robi: Fathom Project #1 is alive!

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
DrDude
MAACA Half-ling

Shout-out to Robi: Fathom Project #1 is alive!

Post by DrDude »

Just wanted to give a well-deserved shout-out to the amazing Robi of Pinball Mafia for his dedication the last few days in bringing one of my two project Fathoms back to life. A little background: I acquired Fathom project #1 over a decade ago, just after the crazy-time pricing for this particular title was well underway. With stars in my eyes, I started acquiring all the needed bits, including a new playfield, backglass, spinner, etc., and then began stripping the game in preparation for the playfield swap. Alas, many other projects intervened, including my Centaur, which were much less work, and as a result the Fathom went right to the back of the queue. Later, I found a second Fathom (missing a head), and that too went into the basement. Finally, last year, I was able to purchase a 2nd Fathom head from Geoff, which I threw into the basement as well.

Alas, with work pressure the last couple of years, such a challenging project was well beyond my reach (not to mention I'm completely out of space in my house). Enter Robi, who came by before Christmas and helped me dig out all the Fathom pieces and transport them to his garage. My memories of the state of these games turned out to be somewhat exaggerated: Many parts were missing (the entire coin-door including frame for one -- Now looking for an early 80's Bally coin-door & Frame!), some parts were quite distressed (side-rails and the lock-down bar mechanism in particular), and the power-supply of both games had evidence of transformer melt-down (wax drippage galore!). All of this was pretty depressing to me, but Robi said he would do his best to get at least one of the games working using the parts from both.

True to his word, and after a lot of hard work, here's the result. Early stages of the work:
60028362867__2CE0B475-68E4-49A2-A11F-9FDF7469E596.jpeg
Though the boards were extremely clean, and I had already got the MPU booting, there were many issues that Robi had to repair to get the game playable, not to mention basically repopulating the top of the playfield. Here is the completed game (shitty backglass for now):
IMG_5311.jpeg
Fathom project #2 will need a lot of parts, but it too will come to life in the near future.

I really want to thank Robi for this amazing effort! He accomplished in a couple of days what has been hanging over me for about a decade, and possibly saved my marriage (at least the part involving Pinball!). My Wife Jane is looking forward to playing Fathom for the first time. It is so great to have friends with skills and good hearts like Robi: It restores my faith in this hobby and the pinball-people in our community.
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Honey Badger
MAACA Wacko

Re: Shout-out to Robi: Fathom Project #1 is alive!

Post by Honey Badger »

Yes Robi has helped me out many times with repairs as well as another half dozen members here (you know who you are)... Thanks to you all.
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

Honey Badger wrote:Yes Robi has helped me out many times with repairs as well as another half dozen members here (you know who you are)... Thanks to you all.
Robi took that Hollywood Heat that had catastrophic cascading failures between numerous boards, found the problems, and fixed them on all the boards, all in like 24 hours. What amazing talent.
WANTED: Stern Jurassic Park Pro, 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Murphelman »

Robi is a great guy. An amazing tech and great asset to the community. Overall awesome guy.

Pretty good pinball player too.

I have learned a ton of repair skill from him. I am still learning but he definately helped start me out when I had no idea what I was doing. I am at least half competent now because of his help. He has also brought back a few games from the dead for me.

Cheers Robi

:beerchug
Own
Stern: Black Knight: SoR, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, POTC, Mustang, Jurassic Park, Game of Thrones
Bally/Williams:Twilight Zone, Demolition Man, Fish Tales, Jack*Bot, World cup Soccer
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Nothing
Bally: F14 Tomcat, Wizard!
Williams: none

Wishlist
Baywatch, Transformers, X-Men, Stern Star Trek, Paragon, GnR,
:mrgreen:

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

Great work Robi! You know your stuff, I have been taking notes LOL.

I am glad to see the Fathom come back to life once again, it has been a long time.

I might be able to help you with some of the other parts Grant, we should take a trip to my shop and do some digging. I bet I have everything you need all in one place.
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

Nice! Since you're out of room, you're welcome to let it live over here for a little while!

Chnillapoil
MAACA Chatterbox

Post by Chnillapoil »

Good job guys, Fathom is rare these days, enjoy !
HIGH SPEED 1986
PIN*BOT 1986
TAXI 1988
:rifle OLD CHICAGO 1976
MAME MARIO BROS 1983
EIGHT BALL DELUXE LE 1982
FATHOM 1980
MS PACMAN (cocktail project)
GTB GENESIS (project)

uncleboo
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by uncleboo »

Great Job Robi !
Pins
FISH TALES, EBD 1st Edition , VOLLEY

http://www.pinballowners.com/uncleboo

DrDude
MAACA Half-ling

Post by DrDude »

semicolin wrote:Nice! Since you're out of room, you're welcome to let it live over here for a little while!
As it turns out, that scenario is not entirely outside the realms of possibility (after Jane has played it for a while). I'm absolutely at my pinball-limit in the house, and farming out the odd title to a trustworthy individual is a welcome alternative to, well, the alternatives (like allowing a former friend to operate them in a barcade and blow up all the controlled lamps -- purely hypothetical situation!)
Grant Goodes

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

I was only half joking! My own games have completely outgrown my basement and I've started bringing them to the union hall. There are now two and a pachinko. They get pretty good play on meeting nights but I suspect it's only a matter of time before I get "the talk."

tombiosis
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by tombiosis »

YEP!
Robi has helped me before as well... As Mike says...Amazing pinball tech and great guy. Nice to know there is another Fathom that lives again!
Pins: 8BDlx, Frontier, Big Buck Hunter, Fish Tales, Iron Maiden Pro, Deadpool Pro
Gone but not forgotten: 6M$M, Sorcerer, WPT, Elvis, Centaur II, Sure Shot, Firepower.

WTB: Fathom, TSPP, BSD, GOT.

Quit talking and start chalking!

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Fifty »

DrDude wrote:
semicolin wrote:Nice! Since you're out of room, you're welcome to let it live over here for a little while!
As it turns out, that scenario is not entirely outside the realms of possibility (after Jane has played it for a while). I'm absolutely at my pinball-limit in the house, and farming out the odd title to a trustworthy individual is a welcome alternative to, well, the alternatives (like allowing a former friend to operate them in a barcade and blow up all the controlled lamps -- purely hypothetical situation!)
I'm not far, and I have space. My son would put the game through its paces too. He play tests all my games and is good at finding gremlins. PM me if you end up stuck.

As for Robi, he knows he's skilled and a great person. No need for me to blow more smoke up his butt. :lol: :D

DrDude
MAACA Half-ling

Post by DrDude »

Here are the two Fathoms in my yard about to be transported to Robi's house after the equivalent of an archeological dig to free them from the grasp of my basement:
IMG_4973.JPG
(Ah, a front-yard NOT covered in snow! I forgot that's what it looked like!)

Robi has the complete list of missing parts for Fathom #2, but here's a partial list:
  • Speaker
    Coin-door and frame, plus carriage-bolts for mounting
    Lock-down bar
    Lock-down bar receiver (has one, but it's very rusty)
    Shooter-rod mounting plate
    Spiral-nails for side-rails
    Legs
    Ball-gate from upper playfield
Also, will need 2x complete set of Drop-Targets: I know Pinball Resource has them, but any local sources (besides "you know who")

Geoff, it would be great if we could spelunk in your stash for a few of these parts so I could purchase them from you!
Last edited by DrDude on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Goodes

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

Fifty wrote:I'm not far, and I have space. My son would put the game through its paces too. He play tests all my games and is good at finding gremlins. PM me if you end up stuck.
post here! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25914
WANTED: Stern Jurassic Park Pro, 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)

pharoah007

Post by pharoah007 »

If anyone wants to repay him, he LOVES the chicken at the Ogdensburg supermarket beside the UPS store ;)

DrDude
MAACA Half-ling

Post by DrDude »

pharoah007 wrote:If anyone wants to repay him, he LOVES the chicken at the Ogdensburg supermarket beside the UPS store ;)
I fed him a good serving of Cassoulet (I make it every New Years, and had some leftovers in the freezer) along with some home-made Egg Nog!
Grant Goodes

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

pharoah007 wrote:If anyone wants to repay him, he LOVES the chicken at the Ogdensburg supermarket beside the UPS store ;)
Reminder that http://myusaddress.ca exists and is superior to using the UPS Store.
MUA is $5/package but they can hold them indefinitely. UPS Store is $5/week.
MUA also gives you a bridge pass every 3 packages, and you can keep tabs of what has arrived on their website.

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Fifty »

cait001 wrote:
Reminder that http://myusaddress.ca exists and is superior to using the UPS Store.
MUA is $5/package but they can hold them indefinitely. UPS Store is $5/week.
MUA also gives you a bridge pass every 3 packages, and you can keep tabs of what has arrived on their website.
MUA is great. When I was up in Iroquois I used them all the time and shipped packages to the border constantly. Even now, I still send all my larger purchases to MUA and just drive out there and pick them up. The Canadian Customs officers are good about waving you through under $100 and tend to be more generous during the holidays. The most I've been waved through with was over $400 in purchases. The USA Customs officers are a little more brutal but as long as you are straight with them you won't have any problems.

Geoff should collect all his stuff together and have a flea market/garage sale at his house. Hell, I'm sure there are a few people in Ottawa that could do this.

pinballmafia
MAACA Silent Type

Post by pinballmafia »

Thanks everyone for the kind words its appreciated im glad I can help out Grant to revive his Fathom game. Theres others in the community that are skilled in repairs i wont name you all incase i forget someone i dont want to start new drama lol sorry for the delay i havent had a chance to respond quickly been busy working long hours restoring a bally kiss Also working in my shop finishing up the second floor and the cat is out of the bag lol my weakness is exposed the chicken from Ogdensburg i work for food lol I love that chicken looking forward to our next trip to the states its always great for us to go on a trip buy sell compete and get together at a pinball show :-)

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”