Anyone powder coat their sttng blue? Looking for opinions on colors

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
rockstead
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Anyone powder coat their sttng blue? Looking for opinions on colors

Post by rockstead »

Has anyone gone with this colour? Any regret or suggestions to make it look more like a modern stern?

I think it looks pretty cool but I’m open to anything at this point.
3115D6BD-9A8D-4CEE-A94F-3FEBD6065248.jpeg
https://backalleycreations.com/products ... oating-job

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Anyone powder coat their sttng blue? Looking for opinions on colors

Post by World_of_Warships »

It's been discussed a while back on Pinside
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... oated-trim

Also recently @engine09 took it out of his STTNG, maybe you can follow up with him why he's going back to original colors
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... -flake-wpc

Myself, I prefer stock - but really, some people seem to like to pimp their games that way. But that specific blue on a STTNG?.. it's really blue IMO..lol
But your game, your choice!

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

Ditto on the stock look. Maybe a darker color for powdercoat. Hell I even think purple would look better than that shade of blue. However do whatever you find nice but just realize you may make it harder to re-sell. It's not for everyone. Reminds me of that yellow Roadshow in Montreal. BARF!

Most modern Sterns that have powdercoat have the metal flakes in it. Has a deeper finish. Looks awesome in person but almost impossible to photograph right.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

I actually remember seeing it in purple, an older listing comparing different colors for it..dunno about that purple man, maybe on a vintage Corvette!
78e398fc16f0d1a7a2b6f180b9eefb81427666ba.jpg

eh97ac
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by eh97ac »

Gloss Black
Attachments
70de3db2da86f487dd26ce30d5654bcd7f02b5a4.jpg

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

World_of_Warships wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:40 pm I actually remember seeing it in purple, an older listing comparing different colors for it..dunno about that purple man, maybe on a vintage Corvette!
Wow. I take it back lol. Had never seen one.

Black would be nice. Black with the flaky stuff in it like MMrRE.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

mrmikeman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:16 am
World_of_Warships wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:40 pm I actually remember seeing it in purple, an older listing comparing different colors for it..dunno about that purple man, maybe on a vintage Corvette!
Wow. I take it back lol. Had never seen one.

Black would be nice. Black with the flaky stuff in it like MMrRE.
Agree with this. Either gloss black or go with Gloss Black with flakes.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

tom_454
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by tom_454 »

The problem with the purple or blue is that it may integrate with the side art but it doesn’t when looking at the machine from a player perspective. So most of the time it looks a little off. This is actually true I find with most pins. It is rare that powder coating other than black really looks great in my opinion. I do like some of the deeper reds that I have seen on Iron Man but other than that I prefer black or chrome look.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

All great feedback, I’m happy to learn from people with more experience.

I have to admit that I’ve seen some Modern LE’s and I liked the color, but a neutral real color makes sense.

Outside of those that say stainless steel only, the other seems to be black, in terms of gloss black vs gloss black with flakes, anyone have a side by side comparison?

I’ve seen other modern sterns that are powder coated a dark grey (like stranger things) and I kind of dug the texture it had, smooth but rough, if that makes sense, what is that called and does the high gloss black w/ flakes feel like that?

Is ADN still the go to for Powder coating?

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

It's really impossible to take pics of that flaky stuff, especially gloss black + flakes. They have depth. They reflect light differently. Looks like dust on the surface when you take a pic and you miss so much of it because it's not reflecting light to the camera. Hard to explain. Come over I will show you!!! lol
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

mrmikeman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:58 pm It's really impossible to take pics of that flaky stuff, especially gloss black + flakes. They have depth. They reflect light differently. Looks like dust on the surface when you take a pic and you miss so much of it because it's not reflecting light to the camera. Hard to explain. Come over I will show you!!! lol
I’ll take you up on that offer, seriously! I’m off island Montreal.

Anything specific I have to know when ordering high gloss with flakes, is there a technical color code for that type of black and flakes?

What about that Grey and textured material I mentioned I saw on Stranger things? Completely different?

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

rockstead wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pm
mrmikeman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:58 pm It's really impossible to take pics of that flaky stuff, especially gloss black + flakes. They have depth. They reflect light differently. Looks like dust on the surface when you take a pic and you miss so much of it because it's not reflecting light to the camera. Hard to explain. Come over I will show you!!! lol

Anything specific I have to know when ordering high gloss with flakes, is there a technical color code for that type of black and flakes?

What about that Grey and textured material I mentioned I saw on Stranger things? Completely different?
Must be custom powdercoating. STh is regular black textured and the LE is purple with shiny flakes:
https://sternpinball.com/game/stranger-things/

I have 3 factory powdercoated games (soon to be 4). WOZ ECLE(green). JPLE(green), and MMrRE(Black diamond). All have flakes.
Last edited by mrmikeman on Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

mrmikeman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Must be custom powdercoating. STh is regular black textured and the LE is purple with shiny flakes:

I have 3 factory powdercoated games (soon to be 4). WOZ ECLE(green). JPLE(green), and MMrRE(Black diamond). All have flakes.
I guess what I was calling Grey is actually black, on the STh table I saw, so that’s textured black, got it.

So would it be your MMrRE that would be the black gloss flakes, I got to see it :)

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

rockstead wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:44 pm

I guess what I was calling Grey is actually black, on the STh table I saw, so that’s textured black, got it.

So would it be your MMrRE that would be the black gloss flakes, I got to see it :)
Textured black is the normal Stern look.

MMrRE is gloss black metal flake yes.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

mrmikeman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:54 pm
rockstead wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:44 pm

Textured black is the normal Stern look.

MMrRE is gloss black metal flake yes.
So in the photo I found the coin door for MMrRE is powder coated the same way, is that typical? On most of the machines I have been looking at I tend to see that the coin door is left standard regardless of the powder coating of the other components.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

rockstead wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:04 pm So in the photo I found the coin door for MMrRE is powder coated the same way, is that typical? On most of the machines I have been looking at I tend to see that the coin door is left standard regardless of the powder coating of the other components.
Yes it was a special thing for MMrRE. Speaker panel is metal and done the same too.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Murphelman
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Murphelman »

We our BKSOR has a sparkle blue. I think that would look good on the STTNG or maybe purple sparkle.
20201122_094322.jpg
20201122_094311.jpg
Own
Stern: , Iron Maiden, Godzilla, TMNT., Foo Fighters, Rush, Meteor
Bally/Williams:Dr. Who, Jack*Bot, Demo Man,
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Strange World
Bally: 8 Ball Deluxe
Williams:
JJP: N/A
Wishlist
Baywatch, Starship Troopers, Taxi
:mrgreen:

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

Murphelman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:39 am We our BKSOR has a sparkle blue. I think that would look good on the STTNG or maybe purple sparkle.
20201122_094322.jpg20201122_094311.jpg
I had a sttng user send me good photos of gloss black with flakes, I think it fits the theme nice, I’m drawn to the blue though :) but I’m fighting the urge.

Here’s the pics

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... dmR210M1hB

Did modern sterns stop adding name plates for the fire button? I kind of liked the customization but now I’m seeing just a button on a few machines, all alone.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

Again, I may be a purist for such things, but I prefer stock on most games, e.g. the way a game was designed in the first place. I'm not saying no to colors!! For instance, my Star Trek Prem is gorgeous, that candy red goes well with the art package. But it's the way it was intended to look in the first place.

I prefer the original look of the STTNG, like, I'm just looking at the flyer right now. Good looking game!

The only pin I feel people can go ballistic, and they usually do, is Tron! Seems like that game was designed for moding, including doing stuff to the apron, powder coating with whatever colors, adding toys, Pinduino, etc. I'd even tolerate rainbow puking GI on Tron, lol!

For STTNG, I like that black with metallic sparkles in it, but for the legs only. I would keep the armor in its natural brushed metal look, it just works!