TILT!Audio

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
necro_nemesis
MAACA OG
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

TILT!Audio

Post by necro_nemesis »

I've been working with Tilt!Audio bringing in components and building up systems. In a nutshell Tilt!Audio allows you to greatly enhance audio on WPC/WPC95/Data East and Whitestar pins. The sampling rate is much higher, audio is 2.1 stereo vs and mono and custom audio profiles can be loaded into the system. The system also has Bluetooth capability for headphone integration in addition has a webserver and GUI interface that can be connected to via WiFi hotspot it creates or over your network if you provide the interface with your network credentials.

I have more components inbound and am able to assemble and configure the boards for people requiring assistance. The board replaces the audio board and works by capturing the audio addresses that are written to the sound card to produce sounds. In the case of WPC95 there's a passthrough IDC connection to forward data to the A/V board. Speaker wiring is re-pinned at the connector to split cab and two backbox speakers into separate channels. The board makes use of either a RaspberryPi 3, 4 or Zero 2 W thus brings the capabilities of Blutooth, WiFi etc.. to the system using the power of this single board computer and software written to make use of it. Sound profiles are basically limited to the size of SD card used so rather unlimited. You can have various profiles included the original, custom Altsound and whatever you decide you want to create. They can be switched between at the machine or over the GUI.

Additionally I have been modelling 3D printable speaker adapters to take either 2 of the original 4" speakers as well as common 4" coaxial speakers in the backbox. Similar to what Pinsound provides for the right speaker in their speaker packages, these adapters allow speakers to be mounted as a screw in replacement without the need to cut the backbox board. These designs I open sourced and can be found and used here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5191988

Here's a short video of my son and I playing with it on HSII.

Attachments
tilt!audo6.jpg
tilt!audo5.jpg
tilt!audo4.jpg
tilt!audo3.jpg
tilt!audo2.jpg
Last edited by necro_nemesis on Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 165 times

Re: Tilt!Audiio

Post by Mrhide »

You awesome nerd. I need some.
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Let me know what sort of interest there is and for which systems. I'll post more info when I have more. Pricing is extremely competitive compared to PinSound. I haven't the exact costs but if you've looked at PinSound pricing this is going to blow it out of the water price wise especially if people can assemble the boards for themselves. Ball park I see board kits around the $100 ish mark then add in the cost of a Raspberry Pi and SD card. Steve's license to unlock the software is a one time purchase of ~ $15 bucks. I picked up Pioneer 4" coaxials for around $40 on Amazon.ca that fit my brackets and sound nice and crisp. Assembly cost we can look at if people want the board stuffed and not a kit.

I want to get a couple out to people to get some feedback and I'll try to support the community tech and shipping wise to make it an attractive option for people that just don't want to lay down $400 or $500 or more for a major sound upgrade.

If there's enough interest I'll set up a website to supply boards, speaker adapters, ribbon cables (WPC95) etc. downloadable sound profiles and a place to upload and share sound profiles, support but for now I'll leave it as an informal interest check if people let me know what they are looking for I can quote them a cost with shipping to get them that.

There's more info I will be posting as well as more demos on my own machines.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Re: TILT!Audio

Post by Mrhide »

Totally want to assemble it myself. Cool project.
I think people will want it assembled and "plug and play".
WPC is my interest.
The pinsound I have on stock speakers sounds 10x better then the stock sound board so replacing speakers is not a must, IMHO.
The bluetooth connection is the killer app to me :)
The 15$ one time license ... sucks. Include it in the price somehow to hide it!

and if you are half the price of pinsound, you'll sell a bunch. Go for it.
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

mad
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 9 times

Post by mad »

cool je veux ça sur ma Getaway :thumbup

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Boards and components are inbound. Initially I will be able to supply WPC/WPC95 and DE. Whitestar adapter similar to what PinSound requires I'm working as time permits on redesigning so even though it's feasible I won't be holding many adapters. The adapters for Whitestar are extra but again not PinSound price extra. I'm looking at trying to make running Whitestar even less impactful.

I've also written code to decompress .ogg profile folders files to wav in one shot to see if Pi Zero W will also perform to acceptably without having to decompress on the fly. For now plan on Zero 2 W, 3 or 4 to be safe. Pi Zero is reported to work but I think this file conversion will aid greatly. .ogg works fine on the other Pis, it just works even finer as wav files.😉

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by GILV »

What does assembling it myself implicate?
Is it a lot of work to assemble?
I sure would love a project like this but I want to know what exactly I'm getting myself into first.
WPC for me.
Thanks for the info.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

This goes through what it takes to build the board.

If people figure it's more than they want to tackle I'll build them up for $65. If others want to assemble kits for a fee for the community they are more than welcome to as well.

The software is pretty straight forward to set up. Altsounds for a bunch of machines including enhanced versions already exist here and are free to use. http://altsound.vpin24.com/ It's one format that is supported that can be dropped right in but you can use other formats or create your own sound profiles. There's an editor in the software to do this or you can use a program like Audacity (freeware) to edit and enhance whatever music, calls, effects etc. you want and put them into the game. You can have multiple saved profiles and they can be switched on the fly by lowering the volume to min and pressing down again on the volume. It will then load the next available profile in. You can also sit at a computer and play with all this while you can have the actual machine play back all your sounds as you work out a profile. It's quite the toy. ;)

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by GILV »

Interresting.....
In person, is there a great difference between the original board sound and the TILT board sound given you keep the original factory speakers?

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Yes. The board on it's own is a MUCH bigger enhancement than the speaker change. Now I say this in that you are playing your machine at normal volume levels machines typically run at. If your objective is to turn the machine into some sort of loudhailer or have it shake the walls then that's where replacing speakers are going to come more into play. Board in with HD sound files massive improvement. Speaker upgrade, noticeable improvement but meh after getting blown away by the sound board it's somewhat lackluster what you get from the speakers.

The biggest thing with speakers is the difference between running mono and stereo 2.1. On WPC it mono and one channel runs the two backbox and lower cab. They elected to make the left speaker a mid range and the right a tweeter which is fine for mono sound the original board produces and will work with this board but if you want the most out of the 2.1 stereo TILT!Audio produces, you'd probably want a couple of mid range or coaxial speakers in there.

I've produced 3d designs to mount bigger speakers on the existing mounting t nuts and holes to do this on WPC as well as a piloting jig to center a hole saw off the existing t nut holes if they were inclined to just bore the right to the size of the left 4" speaker hole. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5191988/files

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by GILV »

I'm really interrested in doing this project but not at the moment, I'm over my head with pinball and moped projects until spring.
Next summer I sure hope this will still be available from you, if so, I'm in for sure, meanwhile I'll be following the thread to see results from different buyers. :)

Zak Rose
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Zak Rose »

necro_nemesis wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:00 pm

I want to get a couple out to people to get some feedback
In for tester.

I have several DMD area platforms.

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by GILV »

.....by the way, how much would this cost?
I could also buy now and do the project later, anyway, I'm thinking it over.
Let me know.
Thanks.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

It's not so much testing. The boards work just fine for the applications they are built to cover. It's community feedback I'm looking for.

:lol:

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by mrmikeman »

necro_nemesis wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:40 am
It's not so much testing. The boards work just fine for the applications they are built to cover. It's community feedback I'm looking for.

OMG can't stop laughing. I have to do that now with my STTNG. LOL
PINS:
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades
Stern Star Trek Pro - Stern Enterprise, pinblades, laser cut Enterprise side armor
Star Wars Prem - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)[/b]
Lord of the Rings - ColorDMD, Pinsound board, speakers, and headphone station, Shaker. Mods: Laser cut armor, LED backglass panel lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board, speakers, and shaker, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Weird Al LE
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC / XBOX 1X

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke

Gone but not forgotten
So many... MMrRE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by GILV »

necro_nemesis wrote:

Me too...... :lol:
I think that the theme is, somwhat, not very well represented by the sound of that game, but I could be wrong, never saw the movie. ;) :lol:

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

mrmikeman wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 am
necro_nemesis wrote:

That's the half the point of owning these games is to play with them as much as playing them. I think he's done this intentionally by swapping the sound files or he's set the written sound addresses being mapped to Data East's protocol when it should have been WPC in the software. It turns out not to be a flaw but a "feature". lol.

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by GILV »

necro_nemesis wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:22 pm
mrmikeman wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 am
necro_nemesis wrote:

I think he's done this intentionally by swapping the sound files or he's set the written sound addresses being mapped to Data East's protocol when it should have been WPC in the software. It turns out not to be a flaw but a "feature". lol.
I read this over and over at least 3 or 4 times and, maybe because english is not my first language, I don't understand what you are explaining here.
Could you please explain in another way, I just don't get it.....
Thanks.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

You can upload your own sound profiles so if you want the door switches to be something other than what they normally are they can be whatever you want.

The system currently supports DE/WPC/WPC95 and Whitestar. There are settings in the software for how the sound calls get interpreted so you can manually set them or use autodetect. If you manually set them to the wrong system then it will likely play the wrong sound.
Attachments
settings.JPG
sound.JPG

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

wow. pure magic.

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by GILV »

WOW! What a nice toy to add to a pinball machine, I'm impressed. :)
One last question, maybe to you it's a stupid question but to me, no, I'm NOT at all Mr. Software, so here it goes:
where is the programming window (as you pictured in your last post) displayed on the game, or, do you need connect the computer on the board to program it?

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by GILV »

Nevermind, I figured it out myself, my thoughts went on "bluetooth" , now I understand, on a cell or a tablet.
When will you be ready to sell these?
I'm having second thoughts on moving my projects further ahead in time to do this project first instead.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

No problem asking. Basically as the system is based around a Raspberry Pi and runs a version of Linux you get the benefit of using the onboard hardware and all the libraries available to Linux in addition to programming in a high level language that comes from being based on ARM with massive open source support. So for hardware if you look at say a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, it has built in WiFi and Bluetooth. The decision to use the ubiquitous Pi SBC based platform to develop around gains from these benefits in a addition to a cost benefit when utilizing hardware that sells in the millions and is widely available.

As to the software, what you see is the graphical user interface as rendered in my browser of my PC. It can be virtually any browser on any OS (Chrome, FIrefox, Edge etc.); as browser based applications are platform agnostic. i.e. javascript, Web Assembly et at. are a function of the browser supporting the code and not the OS supporting the code as long as the OS supports the browser.

In order to provide the GUI interface there's a hotspot created on initial boot of the TILT!Audio board which broadcasts the SSID of "TiltAudio" requiring no password to connect, so you can search for the SSID on your WiFi and connect to your pin. Once connected the GUI is hosted by a webserver generated by the Pi. In the network credentials of the GUI you have the option to set your LAN user/password. Upon restart it will attempt to log into your LAN. Once it is able to connect to the LAN any future requirements to use the GUI can be on your local area network vs the hotspot as the hotspot no longer is active and it goes into wireless client mode.

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by GILV »

Thanks.
Please keep us up to date as to when we can buy.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

I'm working with the lead dev. I hope to provide a js file soon for French to be added to the GUI to make it more user friendly for some. I going to need some volunteers to translate properly or it may end up full of swear words (most of the French I know...). lol.