Sayal, uhmm, maybe not

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Ricker
MAACA Half-ling

Sayal, uhmm, maybe not

Postby Ricker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:07 pm

You know, earlier today I went to Sayal Electronics which has some good stuff and hard to find items. I was looking for a circuit board component, just one item which costs 60 cents. The inventory showed that they had 5 in stock and I said great, I need one. Then I was told that it is kept at the warehouse and that it will cost $15 to ship the part! From somewhere in Toronto!!!

I almost had a conniption! I thought excessive charges were reserved for those companies outside of Canada. I mean really? Ackk!!!

The world is a crazy place...
Pins - http://www.pinballowners.com/ricker

WTB: Fathom, Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe, Mata Hari, Silverball Mania, Mystic, Count Down, TX-Sector, Jacks Open, Roller Disco, Seawitch, Cheetah, Star Gazer, Pharaoh, Solar Fire, Jungle Lord, Grand Lizard, Firepower II, Scorpion, Star Light, Star Trek TNG, Phantom Of The Opera, Nautilus (Playmatic), Dialed In.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Re: Sayal, uhmm, maybe not

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Sayal sucks ... GPE/Big Daddy/Bob Roberts FTW!

wbradley
MAACA Millennial

Postby wbradley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Sayal is good for anything they carry in the store. You wont find very specific pinball chips. If you need something they have in the warehouse you need to buy a certain minimum units (I think it is 4 pcs or $15 worth). So, I have several multiples as spares, such as 15,000uF 25V caps etc. Sometimes it it worth having some spares if you plan to stay in the hobby, or maybe someone else will be looking and I will be able to help.

Typically they are the cheapest for small hand tools like snips, chip pullers, stuff like that. Also with warehouse pull items, they dont sell a lot through their retail, so thats why they charge for a warehouse pull. Its not as though your .60 cent purchase pays for the warehouse picker.
BSD, CII with CPR p/f, JD, SM, TOM (loaner), Zizzle POTC (pimped)
Interested in LOTS! Limited space and quality over quantity.

G-Man
MAACA Motormouth

Postby G-Man » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:34 pm

Sayal is a bacon-saver. For any of your run of the mill parts, it's awesome. I got tired quickly of buying a capacitor from GPE or Big Daddy for $3, only to find the same one at Sayal for $ 1. Don't get me wrong ~ I still buy a lot of stuff from those places, but I buy from Sayal ( or their kind ) whenever possible.

Menace
MAACA Wacko

Postby Menace » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:15 pm

For those of you that think Sayal is great now, you obviously never dealt with them about 10 years ago... These days they absolutely STINK! Everything worth buying seems to be located in the warehouse which now comes with a $15 line minimum. Back in the day, pretty much everything used to be out on the floor and even if it wasn't they were happy to go back in the warehouse and get you as many or as little as you needed, no minimum $$ required.

These days I only go to Sayal as a last resort, and gladly give GPE and the like my $$.

D

Nick
MAACA Silent Type

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:24 pm

hey ricker i believe the warehouse is the one i go to in vaughan, i can drop in and get the part and mail it to you if ya want.
let me know
nick
Vids: Crazy Taxi, Neo Geo 1 slot, Gorf, Pacman 60in1, Quick & Crash, Space Wars, Campionship Sprint, dreamcast arcade, Pole Position Project, Popeye Project
Pins: C.C Sound Stage, Got. Genie, Got. Mibs, Bally Party Animal
Misc: Rockstar Fridge, Bud light Fridge, Seeburg LU-200, Rock-o-la wall boxes, Nacho & cheese warmer, candy dispenser.

websherpa

Postby websherpa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:53 pm

The Burlington location gets items for me from the warehouse without an additional charge? Maybe it depends on the item. Sometimes (like for ICs / small components) I have to order 5 of them, but no additional charges.

It's great dealing with places like MCE and Newark Canada, but they have minimum order charges as well (though you do get the items packed up the wazoo on your doorstep the very next morning and no border hassles at all).

Ricker
MAACA Half-ling

Postby Ricker » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Thank you guys for suggesting other options. I will look into them but I will wait a few days until I finish my Pinball Pool project. Then I start my Circus ! I may give you a call Nick considering you are very close to the Sayal warehouse (thank you for that offer) but if they still want to charge $15 extra for a 60 cent part, then I would say no way. I don't mind paying premiums for good service or excellent parts but I don't like getting financially raped.
Pins - http://www.pinballowners.com/ricker

WTB: Fathom, Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe, Mata Hari, Silverball Mania, Mystic, Count Down, TX-Sector, Jacks Open, Roller Disco, Seawitch, Cheetah, Star Gazer, Pharaoh, Solar Fire, Jungle Lord, Grand Lizard, Firepower II, Scorpion, Star Light, Star Trek TNG, Phantom Of The Opera, Nautilus (Playmatic), Dialed In.

G-Man
MAACA Motormouth

Postby G-Man » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 pm

Ricker wrote: I don't mind paying premiums for good service or excellent parts but I don't like getting financially raped.

So what kind of rape do you want ? :shock:

Pinballed
MAACA Millennial

Postby Pinballed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:39 pm

Try Creatron...College just east of spadina on the south east side. They have so many chips and circuit board components that Sayal never has in stock.

Best place in town.

Stan
Nascar
Flash
High Speed
Genesis
Aztec
Genie
Sunset
Black Knight

Off to other homes to be enjoyed...Freddy a Nightmare on Elm St, Pinbot, F-14, Robocop, Monday Night Football, Flash Gordon, Mr & Mrs Pacman, Meteor, Jurassic Park, Grand Lizard, City Slicker, Baby Pac-man, Hi-Score, Wheel Of Fortune, T2, STTNG, Spirit of '76, Stargate, Secret Service, Striker Xtreme, Tommy, TSPP and WPT has moved on...man I miss these things when I sell them!

Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”