Leons test rom

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Flyer666
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:47 pm
Location: Kitchener

Leons test rom

Postby Flyer666 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:34 pm

I got a MPU-200 that the led light is on all the time. I was looking for solutions and saw this `Leons test rom on this site:
http://www.flipper-pinball-fan.be/

Has anyone tried this or have another solution....

Tks

Larry
"A 30 year old game will never, EVER be "100%". That's part of the charm of the game and of the hobby.. fixing is part of the hobby. It's like wrenching on an old car, and often therapeutic"

User avatar
Atomicboy
MAACA Goliath
Posts: 2417
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: London, ON

Re: Leons test rom

Postby Atomicboy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:21 pm

The leons test roms for all systems are a must for repairing boards. They pulse all outputs, and make locating issues easy. You need an oscilloscope and a PC PS. Dave Astille can make them for you. Clays guides, well, guide you through what to check with it.
WTB: nadda

User avatar
sylvain
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 3304
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:39 am
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Leons test rom

Postby sylvain » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 pm

MPU-200 - Stern MPU board, right ?

In my opinion, there is no need for additional test ROM chips for the Bally or Stern MPUs of that vintage.
Using the readily info from the web, a schematic, a multimeter and a logic probe, these boards are fairly easy to fix.
... providing no hacks and low amounts of corrosion...

However, Williams boards for Systems 3-7 might be easier to fix with the Leon ROMs...

Good luck & Cheers,
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

User avatar
necro_nemesis
MAACA Immortal
Posts: 8545
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:32 pm
Location: Within mechanism_8 or simply Newmarket

Re: Leons test rom

Postby necro_nemesis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:26 pm

For Sys 7 repairs I found the ROM a necessity but can't tell you from experience if the version he makes for the MPU-200 would be as helpful. All that's to say is what he has offered for what I've worked on was of great value in doing the repair.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.


uberhare
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Stratford, Ontario

Re: Leons test rom

Postby uberhare » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Bally MPU200? If it has proper power, and it doesn't boot its likely the reset circuit. You can manually boot it by shorting the reset pin to the one beside it (39/40 if I recall correctly). If that causes it to boot, change the transistor (Q5) in the reset circuit and try it. The LED should flash a total of 7 times, each flash is after it passes a system test. If it still doesn't boot remove U8, U10 & U13. The CPU will still start without those roms (but will not pass all 7 tests.)

If you want to haul it to me, I can fix it. :)
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Stratford, Ontario

Re: Leons test rom

Postby uberhare » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Just noticed you are only 20-30 minutes from me....

I have a scope....
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Flyer666
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:47 pm
Location: Kitchener

Re: Leons test rom

Postby Flyer666 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 am

uberhare wrote:Bally MPU200? If it has proper power, and it doesn't boot its likely the reset circuit. You can manually boot it by shorting the reset pin to the one beside it (39/40 if I recall correctly). If that causes it to boot, change the transistor (Q5) in the reset circuit and try it. The LED should flash a total of 7 times, each flash is after it passes a system test. If it still doesn't boot remove U8, U10 & U13. The CPU will still start without those roms (but will not pass all 7 tests.)

If you want to haul it to me, I can fix it. :)


Let me try your the above first.

Tks

Larry

Ps I work in Stratford...making boilers
"A 30 year old game will never, EVER be "100%". That's part of the charm of the game and of the hobby.. fixing is part of the hobby. It's like wrenching on an old car, and often therapeutic"

pincoder
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Re: Leons test rom

Postby pincoder » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi,

I've written some ROMs for Williams System 6 machines (and perhaps all system 3-6) games that are very simple to use, and can be used in-game, so you don't need any test fixtures.

install and power up each ROM in order to quickly help you identify problems with your entire machine.

They have been tested on a GORGAR (system 6) machine and work great! I have not yet tested on systems 3 and 4 so at the moment I'm calling them system 6 test roms. If you are able to try them on system 3/4 please let me know (pincoder@reversion.ca)

They are 2716 (2K) ROMs and can also be used in a 2816 EEPROM.

You can get them all in a single zip file here: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

Hope this helps!

Craig


Flyer666 wrote:I got a MPU-200 that the led light is on all the time. I was looking for solutions and saw this `Leons test rom on this site:
http://www.flipper-pinball-fan.be/

Has anyone tried this or have another solution....

Tks

Larry

User avatar
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 22303
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm
Location: Saint-Lazare, west of MTL

Re: Leons test rom

Postby Sparky » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:39 pm

pincoder wrote:Hi,

I've written some ROMs for Williams System 6 machines (and perhaps all system 3-6) games that are very simple to use, and can be used in-game, so you don't need any test fixtures.

install and power up each ROM in order to quickly help you identify problems with your entire machine.

They have been tested on a GORGAR (system 6) machine and work great! I have not yet tested on systems 3 and 4 so at the moment I'm calling them system 6 test roms. If you are able to try them on system 3/4 please let me know (pincoder@reversion.ca)

They are 2716 (2K) ROMs and can also be used in a 2816 EEPROM.

You can get them all in a single zip file here: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

Hope this helps!

Craig


Flyer666 wrote:I got a MPU-200 that the led light is on all the time. I was looking for solutions and saw this `Leons test rom on this site:
http://www.flipper-pinball-fan.be/

Has anyone tried this or have another solution....

Tks

Larry


Awesome! I will have to try those for fun! Thanks for the info!
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...



Return to “Pinball machines (SS/DMD)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest