Game Plan Pinball Cocktail Repair

Talk about electro-mechanical pinball machines
WJBlack
MAACA New Contributor

Game Plan Pinball Cocktail Repair

Post by WJBlack »

Hello all, I have a Game Plan Foxy Lady Game Plan table. There was a bad coil on the chime box which has be replaced. The machine seems to function normally without the chime box, just no sound. When I plug in chime box - boots to the point just after the chime box does its jingle and then stops. I have double checked wiring, getting 33,34 Ohms across coils on chime box. Continuity from coil to SDU board is good. I'm new to pinball repair so have come to a halt.I'm still researching but thought someone may have an idea on this issue.
Thanks for reading.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: Game Plan Pinball Cocktail Repair

Post by sylvain »

Is the diode present across the new coil and has the proper polarity with respect to wiring?
Is the new chime coil running hot ?
If so, the associated driver transistor on the SDU is probably shorted, you will need to replace it.
This is probably the reason for the original coil to have burned.
You should also verify the connectors/pins in the harness between the MPU and SDU to ensure no corrosion or breaks,
as well as the switch matrix connector on the MPU.

Good luck!
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40 years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

WJBlack
MAACA New Contributor

Post by WJBlack »

The diode is there with the new coil, had to reverse it. I have not noticed the coil being hot but will pay closer attention. I will check the wiring harness between SDU and MPU. I think I'll have to remove the SDU to get a closer look. I feel this is the issue,
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

WJBlack
MAACA New Contributor

Post by WJBlack »

I believe this is the problem. Was hot to touch. Not sure my soldering skills are up for this one.
Attachments
IMG-1200.jpg
IMG-1203.jpg
IMG-1204.jpg

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

Is the new chime coil staying activated after power-up, or no?
If no, the diode on the new coil might be reversed or shorted
(assuming the overheating/pictured transistor is the driver for the new chime coil).
In any case, this transistor (that appears to have been replaced already earlier) needs to be replaced
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40 years already.

WJBlack
MAACA New Contributor

Post by WJBlack »

Not sure what you mean by staying activated. After the chimes sound on power up the plungers are all down, nothing stays up. After inspection the board closer I found a capacitor had a broken pin so only connecting on one side. Picture with coil number bottom to top is the new coil. I reversed the transistor to match the old ones which is the other picture. They are all facing same way now. Maybe this was wrong to reverse it, but seemed logical to me.
Do you know anyone who can solder these boards?
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1209.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1208.jpg

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

OK, you mean 'diode' on the coil.
If that coil activates then releases, all good then.

Still need to understand why the one transistor on the SDU you had mentioned before is hot - what coil is it driving?

Quite a few of us on this board perform soldering and/or board repairs

WJBlack
MAACA New Contributor

Post by WJBlack »

It is driving the coil that was replaced.