Buccaneer Spin'n'Spot Scoring Issue

Talk about electro-mechanical pinball machines
rocket30
MAACA Valued Contributor

Buccaneer Spin'n'Spot Scoring Issue

Post by rocket30 »

The Game Operation Instructions said the spinning target scores 100 pts, that's fine it recorded properly. When stopping on an unlit number score 5000 pts and spots that number. The spot the number works like advertized, where it get's confusing, it does not always give 5000 pts, and the sequence bank relay for that number trip's and gives 500 pts instead. For a Sequence bank relay to trip it activate Q relay in series and give permission to the E Relay (5000 pts relay) activate while the motor running give the X5 by the L (1000pts relay). When I do the rollover targets individually everything is perfect, 5000pts the first time and 500pts next. I do not know what would override the Q relay in that situation. Serge
Serge
Pinbot,Old Chicago, Wild Life and Falstaff.
Spin Out,Buccaneer,Sure Shot-Traded

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Buccaneer Spin'n'Spot Scoring Issue

Post by sylvain »

Is there a Delay Relay near the spot & spin relay in that game ? ('I' relay possibly).

If so, there should be a small plug-in unit with a capacitor, diode and resistor assembly
that would add a delay for one relay to score before dropping the relay...
Make sure it is present and plugged in, if required for that machine.
This would be indicated in the schematic.

Edit: Yes, there should be one according to this rgp post:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... VHsP3UFckU

Bonne chance!
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

rocket30
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by rocket30 »

I look closely at this Delay Relay Device and I remember when I got the machine from a friend, he had order the parts from The Pinball Resource and they told him this is what he needed to fix his problem. he made it himself. Everything seem fine But the resistor it is a 68 ohm instead of 6 ohm that is required could that be a problem. I am limited in electron movement knowledge. Serge
Serge

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

rocket30 wrote:Everything seem fine But the resistor it is a 68 ohm instead of 6 ohm that is required could that be a problem.
Yes. A 6 ohms, 2W resistor should be there, not 68 ohms. Plus the 1N4000 series diode, and an electrolytic cap 470 or 1000uF, 35 volts...

Cheers,
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.

rocket30
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by rocket30 »

I'll find a proper resistor and change it, will see the outcome in a near future Thank Sylvain
Serge

rocket30
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by rocket30 »

No luck! I try a 10 ohm and a 5.6 ohm because no 6 ohm available and still the same issue. I got the 1n4002 resistor and the 470uf 50v cap. It's not the end of the world but I like when the game work like it suppose too. I probably have to sit with few beers and think harder. If anybody have a Buccaneer and want to try the spin'n'spot in full liberal (always active) and turn the spinner once and see if it register the 5000 pts every time when the spot the number is not lite. I'll make me very mad if yours work perfect but not mine.
Serge

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

In order for this circuit to work, you need to have:
- a good relay coil for the delay relay (e.g. not burned nor a replacement which may be incorrect);
- good contacts feeding this circuit (two are shown at the bottom, in this extract of a Gottlieb '300' schematic below);
- diode and capacitor must be connected in their proper polarity/orientation;
- the replacement home-made diode-cap-resistor needs to make good contacts with the Jones plug in the cabinet.

- Sylvain.
Attachments
Untitled1.png

rocket30
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by rocket30 »

Out of nowhere my problem got solve. One of the switch on the Spin target delay relay (G) stop to do her job (I know it is a thing a switch) only a she can be a pain in the butt lol. It is always easier when it not random and it stop working.
Serge