Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Jumping Jack transformer pics please

Post by Mrhide »

(or a gottlieb from the 70's )

Hello,

Could somebody please take a picture of their transformer so I can re hook the powercord properly?!

this is what I've got:

Thanks!
IMG_1794.JPG
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

P1AG Montréal - pièces/parts
MAACA Super Contributor

Re: Jumping Jack transformer pics please

Post by P1AG Montréal - pièces/parts »

Did you try the "trial and error" method Phil. :D Should be entertaining.

Or better yet :

http://www.pbresource.com

Just calling the kettle black - I can lend you a schematic if no one bellies up to the bar with a picture.

Hugs,

Rob
Montréal : 1200 rue Bégin, St-Laurent, Qc H4R 1X1
robert.barake(at)cineplex.com
benoit.lecavalier(at)cineplex.com
514-856-2252 ou 888-322-2252

Toronto : 6420 Viscount Road, Mississauga, On L4V 1H3
doug.baird(at)cineplex.com
james.albernaz(at)cineplex.com
416-251-2122 or 888-977-4263

http://www.theplaydiumstore.com
http://www.winwithp1ag.com

Sisyphus
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Sisyphus »

Here's one from "Jack in the Box" taken by "Pinball Ninja". Note that he has rewired it from "Normal" to "High" Tap as indicated by the arrows....... your choice.
Attachments
NINJA Jack in the Box.jpg

QN
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by QN »

On the plus side, the fuse looks good.....I hear that's 90% of the battle.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

Sisyphus wrote:Here's one from "Jack in the Box" taken by "Pinball Ninja". Note that he has rewired it from "Normal" to "High" Tap as indicated by the arrows....... your choice.

thanks but that is the coil wire which is not cut in any way ... ( ...and yes, I'll probably rewire to use high tap later)

what I do see is one side of the power cord going to the white / left bottom ... and that the other side is red. so great! ... where does the other side go? of the white one, the red one and the other side of the powercord!

power cord --> the fuse right?
tap.jpg
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sylvain »

I see you are missing the power cord...
From what I can see:
- the red goes to the red
- the white goes to the white
- one side of the power cord goes with the white wire on the bottom left transformer lug
- the other side of the power cord goes to the fuse holder on the side currently going to nowhere
- the ground of the power cord is typically attached to one mounting bracket of the transformer.

The recommendation is always to get the original schematics to confirm connections:
http://www.pbresource.com :)

and, make sure the fuses are correct (e.g. not overfused).

Bonne chance!
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

sylvain wrote:I see you are missing the power cord...
From what I can see:
- the red goes to the red
- the white goes to the white
- one side of the power cord goes with the white wire on the bottom left transformer lug
- the other side of the power cord goes to the fuse holder on the side currently going to nowhere
- the ground of the power cord is typically attached to one mounting bracket of the transformer.

The recommendation is always to get the original schematics to confirm connections:
http://www.pbresource.com :)

and, make sure the fuses are correct (e.g. not overfused).

Bonne chance!
- Sylvain.
Merci Sylvain ... and that is EXACTLY what I've tried and .... nothing ! :roll: so I've switched the side of the power cord and still nothing ... and yes, I've read that Clay, who's repairing 200-300 ems a year, has NEVER seen a bad transfo ... I'll wait for the schematics and hey, this is fun so no rush and again, merci pour ton aide! :D

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

Well, have you measured the AC voltage on the two bottom lugs of the power transformer ?
with the line cord connected, a good fuse, a good on/off switch in the ON position (if equipped),
you should measure around 120VAC on the transformer's primary.

If not, you need to identify where else the primary AC line across the fuse is going before ending-up at the transformer's
bottom right lug/red wire. I cannot recall if a Hold relay or slam is involved for this machine.
Or a kick-off bottom cabinet bounce switch. You should be able to follow the red wire and find-out...

If you measure 120 VAC on the transformer's primary and nothing on any of the secondaries,
I suspect that the primary winding is cut near one of the bottom lugs... Very rare condition.

Bonne chance!
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

sylvain wrote:Well, have you measured the AC voltage on the two bottom lugs of the power transformer ?
with the line cord connected, a good fuse, a good on/off switch in the ON position (if equipped),
you should measure around 120VAC on the transformer's primary.

If not, you need to identify where else the primary AC line across the fuse is going before ending-up at the transformer's
bottom right lug/red wire. I cannot recall if a Hold relay or slam is involved for this machine.
Or a kick-off bottom cabinet bounce switch. You should be able to follow the red wire and find-out...

If you measure 120 VAC on the transformer's primary and nothing on any of the secondaries,
I suspect that the primary winding is cut near one of the bottom lugs... Very rare condition.

Bonne chance!
- Sylvain.

there is 120 ... which is kinda of the reason I posted here ! ...your hold relay or slam is now my new best lead ;) thanks!

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

To eliminate the power transformer as possibly faulty (since you confirmed you now have 120VAC at its primary),
did you measure 24VAC or so between the Start and Normal top left lugs ? How about GI 6.5 VAC or so between Start and the right top lug ?

If no readings on those secondaries - then the issue is with the transformer's Primary winding or an open connection at one of the bottom lugs.

If voltages are properly read on the secondary windings, then you can concentrate on other fuses and look for the Tilt Hold, slam, bounce switch and Hold relays downstream.

My 2.5c...

Bonne chance!
- Sylvain.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

sylvain wrote:To eliminate the power transformer as possibly faulty (since you confirmed you now have 120VAC at its primary),
did you measure 24VAC or so between the Start and Normal top left lugs ? How about GI 6.5 VAC or so between Start and the right top lug ?

If no readings on those secondaries - then the issue is with the transformer's Primary winding or an open connection at one of the bottom lugs.

If voltages are properly read on the secondary windings, then you can concentrate on other fuses and look for the Tilt Hold, slam, bounce switch and Hold relays downstream.

My 2.5c...

Bonne chance!
- Sylvain.
using the "common", I've got 30 v on the left (lowtap) and 12v on the right... :thinking

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

30V - so you have Solenoid Voltage at the output of the transformer. Great ! The transformer is working.
12V - unsure why this is; I would expect around 7-8VAC under lo load, not 12VAC. This is for the GI and 'controlled' (switched) bulbs.

In any case if the wires were not cut from the secondaries, chances are that all is OK with the power transformer,
and you need to check downstream the solenoid fuse, switches & relays already mentioned above.