Someone buy the Snafu in Montreal?

Talk about electro-mechanical pinball machines
dr.nybble
MAACA Mage

Someone buy the Snafu in Montreal?

Postby dr.nybble » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am

I'm restoring a Williams woodrail of that era myself (Spitfire) so if you did I'd like to keep in touch.
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Re: Someone buy the Snafu in Montreal?

Postby Sparky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 pm

dr.nybble wrote:I'm restoring a Williams woodrail of that era myself (Spitfire) so if you did I'd like to keep in touch.

I called yesterday. One guy was before me and reserved it.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

dr.nybble
MAACA Mage

Postby dr.nybble » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:21 pm

The 'Perky' is still listed! Both of them seem like rare machines, only 1 owner listed on pinballowners.com

That one could definitely have benefited from your TLC and skill.
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Drano
MAACA Priest

Postby Drano » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:51 am

I think Williams woodrails are, by definition, rare machines.
You have to appreciate that Williams games always catered more to the older gambling crowd and sported typically more adult themes. Almost any that I've come across have had some sort of illegal knock-back switch so the owner of a particular establishment could easily zero out the credits after paying them out.

Gottlieb soon diverged into a much more family friendly approach and it's evident in their more wholesome subject matter.

So, years later, the younger players who may have started collecting these machines as they grew up would (presumably) look for titles they played as children. The older guys who played the Williams woodrails back at the bar... well, they were likely dead or close to it, so these machines were largely forgotten.

Add on top of that the way that coin op gambling machines were vilified and destroyed at one point in time, and you are left with very few survivors.

I own a Harry Williams designed Skyway from 1954 and it's one of the most beautiful and intricately designed machines of the era. Way ahead of its time. Harry even repurposed much of the design 30+ years later for Stern Freefall. I'd bet there are maybe 3-4 documented examples of Skyway kicking around. My Williams Army Navy and Arcade are probably equally hard to come by.

With Gottlieb really cornering the market on pinball, Williams seemed to turn their focus more towards pitch+bat and horsey games while Bally really owned the EM bingo market.
It wasn't until the mid to late 60s that they even started producing real pinball machines again in any real numbers.

I try to snap these old Williams woodrails up whenever possible.

dr.nybble
MAACA Mage

Postby dr.nybble » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:18 am

So are you buying the Perky? :D

Spitfire has the 'star' feature where you can win up to 200 replays! Definitely gambling flavoured.

Drano
MAACA Priest

Postby Drano » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:00 pm

dr.nybble wrote:So are you buying the Perky? :D

Spitfire has the 'star' feature where you can win up to 200 replays! Definitely gambling flavoured.

I have to be more selective these days ;)

But I would love to have one with the star feature. They only made 4 unfortunately. Somebody else on this forum or PBREV had a Williams Colours a while back. Same feature.

Does it require an actual working coin mech to deposit the 2nd coin to activate the feature or can it be set to free play like any other game and activated with two presses of the replay button? I've never tried one.

Return to “Pinball machines (EM)”