1977 Zaccharia (Bally) keeps counting down balls to game over, help!

Talk about electro-mechanical pinball machines
Uptown

1977 Zaccharia (Bally) keeps counting down balls to game over, help!

Postby Uptown » Mon May 29, 2017 8:41 pm

So I've been absent from the forum for a while but don't know where to turn and hoping for some help here.
I have a mint Zaccharia Supersonic, which I'm told is a Bally EM system pinball. I am giving this machine to my boss as a present but it started acting up and I need to fix it before getting it to him!
It was working fairly well when it started with this new symptom, basically you can play one of two balls and then when the ball goes into the outhole the motor turns and it just counts down the remaiming balls to game over and leaves the ball in the shooter lane. This happens very randomly as sometimes you can play a full game fine. The ball release coil also fires a couple times after the ball has been released, again very random and not sure these are related. I've checked contacts and tightened the spring on the ball count unit but have had no luck and I'm running out of time.
Any help is very much appreciated!
Thanks, Mauro.
Too many to list...

sylvain
MAACA Death Knight

Re: 1977 Zaccharia (Bally) keeps counting down balls to game over, help!

Postby sylvain » Mon May 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Hmm, there might be a couple of issues causing this. Let's start with the more obvious:
- tilt adjustments too sensitive, and/or
- outhole switch gapping too close or back metal plate misadjusted on contact, and/or
- is the machine adding points every time it substracts one ball then ejects it again? If so there could be a misadjusted playfield contact as well (gap too close)...

Good luck!
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Pindude152
MAACA Barbarian

Postby Pindude152 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:42 am

Probably related to the ball index relay
"It's heavy. What is it? ... The, uh, stuff dreams are made of"
-The Maltese Falcon

"Every ball for me's another game.For you this always looks the same [...]
I know for you this doesn't look a lot. For me this is the only thing I got"
-Yello - Pinball Cha Cha

"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life"
-Homer Simpson

Wanted: Bally 20 hole Bingo machine: Orient, London, Safari, Super 7, Bonus 7 or Hawaii.
Bally: Gator, Mad World
Williams: Pot 'O' gold
Rally Play Company of Nice France: Any Flip Tronic(s) era machine produced between 1966 and 1969

http://pindude152.blogspot.ca/
http://www.pinballowners.com/pindude152

Uptown

Postby Uptown » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried a few of the things mentioned and thought I had it but after 2 games it started acting up again.
If I could stop the reset motor from turning more than it needs to I think it woukd solve this issue.
What is happening is the ball count reset coil keeps firing as the score motor keeps turning and it subtracts balls.
I'm going to have an in-depth look at it this weekend but at this point I'm almost guessing.
To answer the question above, the machine counts down the bonus points when the ball goes into the trough but I don't think its addung extra points.
Could a switch contact cause this?
Too many to list...

Uptown

Postby Uptown » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:21 pm

So, just to bring this thing full circle, the machine is now playing beautifully.
Not sure exactly what it was but I believe I had adjusted the contacts on the score motor too tightly. I cleaned a whack of contacts everywhere on the machine (again) but then decided to open up the gap on the score motor stacks a bit and presto! works great now.
Thank you Sylvain and Pindude for the help,
Mauro
Too many to list...

Return to “Pinball machines (EM)”