EM question - Gottlieb

Talk about electro-mechanical pinball machines
trueno92
MAACA Collaborator

EM question - Gottlieb

Postby trueno92 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:48 pm

So, help me out here, I don't know anyone else with a pinball machine much less an EM machine..

The apron on my Snow Derby says do not insert coin if coin door is not lit. I have never seen the lights go out. I have snipped the coin door relay (can be reconnected) but I just want the game to prevent a restart if 2 players are already in-game.

I figured the lights should go out and the coin door should disable itself once the first ball goes through the kick out trough.

is this correct?

rocket30
MAACA Collaborator

Re: EM question - Gottlieb

Postby rocket30 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Halte au feu! We are talking EM here basic of the basic every EM that I had they were set for free play and every time a little monster(my little girls) hit the button the game restart to a new game. I think it is just a visual the light that it you put a coin to bad he cash in you lose. Serge
Serge
Pinbot,Old Chicago, Wild Life and Falstaff.
Spin Out,Buccaneer,Sure Shot-Traded

sylvain
MAACA Death Knight

Postby sylvain » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:57 pm

This is a good question.

Indeed, looking at the schematics, the coin chute lights are *always on* through the power transformer's 5V secondary and a 1A fuse,
as soon as the machine is powered-up, regardless if the game is in play or not, credits left, maxed-out or not, tilted or not, etc.
...Assuming the bulbs are good - but these should last a long time, because they are operated from a separate lower voltage (5V)
secondary winding on the transformer, compared to the GI that has the usual full 6.3V AC transformer secondary winding...

The statement on the apron is pretty obvious - do not insert a coin if the machine is not powered-on.
However, even in this case, this machine is equipped with a coil lockout coil inside the cashdoor (that you disconnected: OK),
so with the machine OFF it should have rejected coins anyway on location at the time...
Unless the coil lockout/reject was not reliable back then... to avoid people dropping money in the machine if not powered on.
It might also have been to indicate a change in design, e.g. some earlier games had GI off at initial power-on, and dropping in a coin
would enable GI and start a game....

So, those lights are always on, on this 1970 Gottlieb Snow Derby...

Cheers,
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

rocket30
MAACA Collaborator

Postby rocket30 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Sylvain you should change your name for "Pinball Priest" every time you explain something it is so clear, if you had a team it is in yours that I would like to be.
Serge
Pinbot,Old Chicago, Wild Life and Falstaff.
Spin Out,Buccaneer,Sure Shot-Traded

sylvain
MAACA Death Knight

Postby sylvain » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Merci Serge!
Believe it or not I am still learning, but I really like to help where I can.
Pinball is a fun passion to share.

Cheers,
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

trueno92
MAACA Collaborator

Postby trueno92 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:45 am

Ah thanks!!! Merci!

I was under the impression that the machines would know to reject quarters when the game was operating in 2p mode or when the game was credit maxed. So I was expecting the lights to turn off.

Return to “Pinball machines (EM)”