I'm off to see the Wizard, the magical WIZARD of WOR!!!

Talk about video games (vids) and consoles from your past and present!!
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

I'm off to see the Wizard, the magical WIZARD of WOR!!!

Postby Sparky » Thu May 29, 2014 9:31 am

As some of you may know, I am a complete Wizard of Wor nut-job. In 1981, I first played a cocktail version of this game at the campground my parents had a trailer at and fell in love with it. The lobby always had a few arcade games... Sure, Ms.Pacman was fun, Defender was frantic, Black Widow was stunning... but the Wizard of Wor always got to me.

It had everything, and then some. Straight-on "shoot-the-baddies" for the occasional player... the loud cryptic organ-like intro music between screens... fast-paced bad guys... awesome sounds for the time... the Wizard's taunting voice always cracking one-liners, A LOT OF THEM!!! This game isn't your typical 8-to-10-word speech... and the Macchiavellian gameplay where you can play cooperatively with a second player and be nearly invincible, or blow his ass away for 1000 points! Brilliant!!!

I wasn't alone either... that game was requested by everyone when it came time for the operator to change games around. It stayed there from 1981 to 1988... when all other games did 2 years max... even Ms.Pacman was pulled after 4 years. After 7 years of intensive play, the Wizard looked like hell and eventually broke down.

Fast forward to 2005... I managed to secure a Wizard of Wor cocktail. I played it EVERY evening I could for well over 2 years. I was even giving Bad part was that I could only play 2 games at most. Something would blow. Eventually it left... but not without huge regret...

Fast-forward to 2014... I get a Wizard of Wor upright thanks to Bally Boy and Loafer (can't thank you guys enough!!!). In fact, Dan was embarassed to point out that all of a sudden the game kept blowing the fuse to the soundboard, but otherwise played. Well, I brought it home Monday, and finally took a few minutes to look at it last night at 9pm...

It is GORGEOUS. I have seen 5-year-old games with more wear!!! Marquee, CP overlay, controls, bezel, even sideart... almost pristine!! The monitor has some burn-in but it is barely noticeable. Dan said he changed an amp and some caps on the sound board but it still blew the fuse after a while. I put in a new fuse and gave it a quick go-over. There is a humming from the speakers, but otherwise OK. The power supply is 100% original, so the caps are probably in need of replacement, and I did notice that the fuse holders are showing their age. No problem... all easy upgrades.

Time to play. That Wizard starts taunting me, and I have a shit-eating grin on my face. LOL I can even remember most of the quotes...

" PLEASE ... INSERT ... COIN!"
"FIND ME... THE WIZARD OF WOR!"
"YOU'D BETTER HOPE YOU DON'T FIND ME!"
"COME OUT AND FIGHT! HA! HA! HA! HA!"
"ANOTHER COIN FOR MY TREASURE CHEST!"
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD OF WOR!"
"SO YOU'VE COME TO SCORE... IN THE WORLD OF WOR!"
"AHH GOOD! MY PETS WERE GETTING VERY VERY HUNGRY!"
"YOU'RE OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD... THE MAGICAL WIZARD OF WOR! HA! HA! HA! HA!" (his way of being funny, imitating the Wizard of Oz song...)
"MY BABIES BREATHE FIRE, WORRIOR!"
"WATCH THE RADAR, WORRIOR!"
"NOW YOU GET THE HEAVYWEIGHTS... GARWOR, GO AFTER THEM!"
"GARWOR AND THORWOR BECOME INVISIBLE"
"HIT WORLUK FOR DOUBLE SCORE"
"WORLUK CAN ESCAPE THROUGH THE DOOR!"
"MY MAGIC IS STRONGER THAN YOUR WEAPONS, WORRIOR!"
"BURWOR, GARWOR AND THORWOR WILL DO YOU IN"
"THORWOR IS RED, MEAN AND HUNGRY FOR SPACE FOOD!"
"WHILE YOU DEVELOP WEAPONS, WE DEVELOP MAGIC!"
"I'LL FRY YOU WITH MY LIGHTNING BOLTS!"
"MY WORLINGS ARE VERY VERY HUNGRY!"
"YOU WILL GET THE ARENA!"
"YOU'RE ASKING FOR TROUBLE! HA! HA! HA! HA!"
"YOUR BONES WILL LIE IN THE CONTENTS OF WOR!"
"BURWOR HASN'T EATEN ANYONE IN MONTHS!"
"YOU WON'T STAND A CHANCE... FOR YOUR DANCE!"
"IF YOU GET TOO POWERFUL, I'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU MYSELF! HA! HA! HA! HA!"
"REMEMBER, I'M THE WIZARD... NOT YOU!"
"IF YOU DESTROY MY BABIES, I WILL POP YOU IN THE OVEN!"
"IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THE REAST, THEN YOU WILL NEVER GET THE BEST"
"KEEP GOING AND YOU WILL FIND ME"
"IF YOU TRY ANY HARDER, YOU WILL ONLY MEET YOUR DOOM"
"ANOTHER WORRIOR FOR MY BABIES TO DEVOUR!"
"MY TELEPORTING SKILLS MAKE MY DEFENSE FASTER!"
"MY CREATURES ARE RADIOACTIVE"
"ONE BITE FROM MY PRETTIES, AND YOU'LL EXPLODE!"
"I WILL SAY IT AGAIN... WORLORD! WORLORD! BE FOREWARNED!"
"NOW I AM GETTING MAD!! YOU WILL NEVER LEAVE WOR ALIVE!!"
"YOUR PATH LEADS STRAIGHT TO THE PIT!"
"NOW YOUR ONLY CHANCE IS TO DANCE!"
"ARE YOU FIT TO SURVICE THE PIT?"
"OOOPS!! I MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN THE WALLS! HA! HA! HA! HA!"
"YOU CAN START ANEW, BUT FOR NOW YOU'RE THROUGH! HA! HA! HA! HA!"
"COME BACK FOR MORE! THE SUBJECTS OF WOR AWAIT YOUR RETURN!"
"HURRY BACK! I CAN'T WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN!"
"YOUR EXPLOSION WAS MUSIC TO MY EARS!"
"HI HI HI HO HO HO HA HA HA! THAT WAS FUN!"

... Yeah... I love this game. So much so that it was 1am when I stopped playing last night. LOL

Pics later... I was too busy kicking Worling-ass last night. ;) TOTAL... BAD... ASS!!!
Account deactivated

Ripper

Re: I'm off to see the Wizard, the magical WIZARD of WOR!!!

Postby Ripper » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 pm

I can't believe I accidently found this old post while wondering if any other soul on earth even remembered this great video game! My kids have no clue what great games we had without all the high def. I told one of my kids "Your asking for trouble warrior" and they thought I had lost my mind. This game was truly one of the greats that rarely got publicity in my opinion. I was a pinball junkie from age 8+ but there were a few video games that I got hooked on. My high school had a burger joint next door with an outdoor arcade and among the few games was the great Wizard of Wor. You never stood a chance to go far solo but I had two friends who knew how to play and we could back ourselves into a corner of the maze and kick butt. We would be sweating profusely and half the time could not even make out what the wizard was saying but his voice sticks in my mind over 32 years since I played! It was a game before it's time and if I ever get a chance to play it again I will. Everyone who loves this game has good reason to it was truly a masterpiece!

Return to “Video games and consoles”