Nintendo cabs... restore or convert?

Talk about video games (vids) and consoles from your past and present!!
WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Nintendo cabs... restore or convert?

Post by WARLOCK »

Put LCD's and games in them. Mame them all.
I am not big on the vertical virtual pin though.

You know I have the Scorpion cab. you sold me for that still.
It is at Bluffs (as you know) and waiting for that when we are ready.

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

If it can be restored to original and has a market then go for it. If not, do what works for you or what would be sold and enjoyed by someone else for a realistic price.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

Sparky wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:If it can be restored to original and has a market then go for it. If not, do what works for you or what would be sold and enjoyed by someone else for a realistic price.
Not really. Although PC10's are cool, they don't go for much more than 6-700$ restored. It would cost me more just to get 2 nice monitors. I have an idea what to do...
Build what makes you happy or sell at a proper price to someone committed to restoring it to its former glory.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

si yé jamma, sell it as is !
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Coitusmysterioso
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Coitusmysterioso »

In Toronto all 3 of those are in high demand and usually bring good money when complete. I'm sure a collector would be looking for them.

b1buwg97
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by b1buwg97 »

Sparky wrote:Hey guys,

I was curious as to what may be prople's opinions on this. I have the following cabs:

1- Nintendo dual-monitor Playchoice 10. Fair condition, but empty. No control panel or monitors. I have the cab and the glass.

2- Nintendo single-monitor Playchoice 10. Decent condition, converted to jamma. Complete but needs new art, and a board.

3- Nintendo redtent. Empty but good condition.

I wanted to know what you would do with them. My obvious one is to mame-out the redtent. It is perfect for that, with the capacity to play 4-players comfortably. All I need to do is install 2 LCD monitors, wire it, and slap in a computer. All parts I already have.

The Playchoice 10 single monitor... I could restore it. But... PC10 boards are pricey. So... put in an NES? Mame it too with just Nintendo games? Convert it? This is the one I am stuck on...

The Playchoice 10 dual-monitor is empty, so to restore it would be completely insane. But... mame it? One crazy-ass idea I have is to slap in a 37" LCD vertically and create a virtual pin with it. Kinda perfect for it in a sense.

Opinions?
SPARKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haven't posted in like 10 years!!!!! (feels like)

2 option really is all you have-

1. Bring them to London :-) (drink beer----catch up----bring cooler stuff back)
2. 60 in 1 them

That is all
Anyone who knows Terry knows that he's full of poo and likes to stir the pot. It's just part of his ironic personality and fits well with his asshole facade." -Cooke

A world without guys like Terry in it would probably be like the future world in Demolition Man. One filled with 47-year-old virgin men sitting around in their beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener". -Sparky

shovelhed
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by shovelhed »

I'd love a red tent. Monitors are tough to get for them, though. I'd trade you a working Ms Pac cocktail restored and beautiful and working with a 60 in 1 for it. Think of the work you'll save :)

Last edited by shovelhed on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shovelhed
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 3 times

Post by shovelhed »

Sparky wrote:
shovelhed wrote:I'd love a red tent. Monitors are tough to get for them, though. I'd trade you a working Ms Pac cocktail restored and beautiful and working with a 60 in 1 for it.
No thanks. Not really interested in a Namco cocktail. I have 2 kits I have had for 5 years that have yet to be assembled.
Worth a shot! :)

Godfather
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Godfather »

I am more of a preservationist myself. If youre willing to put in the work then make a cabinet from scratch. I wouldnt allow the Nintendo cabs to give their lives to be a MAME. Personal preference.

hyann
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 18 times

Post by hyann »

Do you really want to mame another redtent?

Pas tanné de refaire les mêmes choses? :)
http://www.pinballowners.com/hyann
Working on: Taxi PF restoration
In french: Blog sur machines, romans et jeux: http://machines-romans-jeux.blogspot.com

MPL 2009-2010 Iron Man and Royal Flush: Best effort awards
MPL 2010-2011 Gary stern trophy !

Godfather
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Godfather »

Sparky wrote:
Godfather wrote:I am more of a preservationist myself. If youre willing to put in the work then make a cabinet from scratch. I wouldnt allow the Nintendo cabs to give their lives to be a MAME. Personal preference.
Well, I am in the process of selling at least one of the cabs.

As for preservation, I am all for it but it depends on what game it is. You have to take into account value and rarity.

If it is a Ms.Pacman cab, honestly, who cares. They made over 100000 of them, and most Namco cabs are the same design, just a different color. But if you are talking about a Tron or any rare vector game, sure, preservation is key.

Then there is value, which is the case here. A Nintendo red tent, as much as it is a bit rare (but not that much), keep in mind that these will never fetch a high value. The games were meant to be interchangeable, and no one will pay top dollar for a VS Tennis or Mach Rider. All the games are NES-based games with a more difficult setting. All in all, the game was meant to be a multi-game. So... why not upgrade it.

As for MAME-ing it, other than using LCD screens, the appearance will not change at all. I won't modify the control panels or add anything. I can't envision spending crazy money over making it as new again, as it would cost a fortune. 2 monitors, the monitor interconnect board (which is rare as shit to find one working), the PCB and games... it would add up like crazy.

So I am not really converting it.... I am upgrading it. It will play all the classics, and I will also throw in all the NES games for fun.
what you selling? 8-)

mwpotvin@rogers.com
MAACA New Contributor

Post by mwpotvin@rogers.com »

HI Sparky, I finished the restoration of the Punch Out ! cabinet. I used Mame as my system and completely restored the cpo, sideart, marquee, T-molding and coin doors . I installed two LCD monitors in it.Works great. I have bought the Super Punch out joystick kit and will be able to play Super Punch out and Arm Wrestling also. In the future , I would like to add the SNES Super Punch out, the NES Mike Tyson and the Wii versions. A dedicated cab just for the all the versions of P.O.. Thank you for selling the cab to me it was a real joy to restore it . This is one of my all time favourites and wanted one from the first time I played it at the Imperial Arcade on Bank Street in Ottawa back in 1983. I still can't believe I have one, thanks to you buddy. My wife helped me last Father's Day and we finished it together. I have some pics but don't know how to post them here. Any suggestions ? I plan on converting the Playchoice 10 single screen also this summer. If you ever come across a classic DK, DK jr., DK 3 or Popeye let me know.

Thanks ,
Mike

SoapyMule
MAACA Valued Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by SoapyMule »

Sparky wrote:
shovelhed wrote:I'd love a red tent. Monitors are tough to get for them, though. I'd trade you a working Ms Pac cocktail restored and beautiful and working with a 60 in 1 for it.
No thanks. Not really interested in a Namco cocktail. I have 2 kits I have had for 5 years that have yet to be assembled.
Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious; where did you pick up the namco cocktail kits? And what's included in them? Been interested in putting together a cocktail-replica from scratch for a few years now.