Where were you in 1982 ?

Talk about video games (vids) and consoles from your past and present!!
Azatotht
Admins

Re: Where were you in 1982 ?

Postby Azatotht » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:53 am

harvey144 wrote:Video Palace - Clip during 86 riot. I tried posting a short 9MB video clip and the extension is not allowed.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to upload the video?

You will have to upload it to Youtube and then embed the link between a [ youtube][ /youtube] tag.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

singlezero
MAACA Collaborator

Postby singlezero » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:52 am

knowing ill be going off on a tangent but being 20 , i had sort of just gotten away from the poolhalls and teenage hangouts with /snooker/pinballs in the late 70s early 80s. Whenever i think of 1982 i voice "The Who in 82". i had gone to see the rolling stones in 81 at rich stadium , and in detroit with iggy pop and Santana- they werent playing Canada ,Richards and his thing with drugs and Canadian law et al and it was sort of the emergence of the big stadium Concert tours. So the next summer the rich stadium concert was announced for The Who and i bought tickets not realizing they would play in toronto . The clash backed them up and a lot of " Rockvs Punk animosity garnered a lot of boos for the Clash but im certain most would regret that now being o one of those bands that never had a comeback or nostalgia kind of tour. those were the days of General admission , 80,000 people and as much booze as you could take in as long as it wasnt in bottles. you could still even smoke . That was also the year The Who announced their final concerts a 3 night thing in toronto which i lined up outside of lamport stadium an entire rainy night to get tickets for only to discover in the morning the invention of wristbands and .. them letting thousands in in front of me i was so disgusted i left without tickets. if im not mistaken ... the who is on about their 20th final tour right now as we speak .

this era too was probably the height of Canadian rock n roll with regular bands like teenage head, max webster/kim mitchell , goddo , and frank soda and the imps playing bars on a regular basis somewhere locally with regularity . so 10 or 15 dollar tickets , beer and amphetamines were where my money was going.

i did make a return to arcade and poolhalls a couple of years later being in college and ghosts and goblins in our college cafeteria and a double lunch affording me on a daily basis a round of best of 3 snooker.

a couple of footnotes ..

Teenage Head has been doing a few shows lately around ontario with a new singer(Frankie Venom died some years ago )

The Rolling Stones concert in Canada was to be about 15 minutes from my shop this year. my ticket in 1982 was 20 bucks , the equiavelent to where i was on the floor for that show and the price for that ticket today is/was $2500. Maybe the price of pins hasnt gone up THAT much in relative terms . i had been joking with people asking me if id go , i said i would wait until the day before to decide because of their ages and probability of concert going down . i read yesterday the concert is postponed and may be cancelled due to mick jaggers health

gmaranda
MAACA Warrior

Postby gmaranda » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:34 am

I was 15 with never enough money...... I remember this was the year Haunted House came out. Many good memories playing that game. If I had to pick one machine that described 1982 for me this machine would be it.

Keep on playing.

Take care

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:19 pm

I was an 8-year old growing up in the Woodlands area of Mississauga in the city's first condominium, across the street the city's first mall, Westdale @ Erindale Station Rd. and Dundas.

Admittedly, I kinda miss it. Spent my first 27 years there. I don't live in the area anymore but my mom still lives close by and, heck, yesterday I visited her and once again did my periodic local drive-around of the neighbourhood. *sigh*

My '82 memory is vague, but at the time my brother and I had a Vic-20 and then a C-64, a few handheld games, and we were surrounded by small businesses that had an arcade video game or two. Asteroids at 'Mom & Pop's', a roti shop had Time Pilot, Henry's Fish & Chips had a couple vids and Square One Mall had 'Arcadia'! Gosh, that arcade was way cool. I played Tron! Can't find any retro pics of that place, darnit.

But in the following years, many other arcades and pool halls opened up in the area so there were way more gaming choices, thankfully. Good times.

(Square One mall map is from '73 but thought it would be nifty to add anyway.)
Attachments
Square.One_store.map.2.jpg

HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby HPR Pinball » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:18 pm

I was playing at the video palace in the 86 riot :)
Great pictures of those arcades, thanks for sharing
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

semicolin
MAACA Barbarian

Postby semicolin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:22 pm

Put it up on youtube!
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

monkeybug
MAACA Death Knight

Postby monkeybug » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:52 pm

dr.nybble wrote:I was 13 years old learning BASIC and 6502 assembly on my Apple ][+ playing Wizardry and my friend's Atari 2600. Also lots of Dungeons and Dragons...

I remember learning 6502 on my Atari 800 in 1982 which was helpful in basic hacking. So simple in comparison to modern computing.

mrmikeman
MAACA Goliath

Postby mrmikeman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 am

I was in my first year of high school(fall 81/winter 82) at a private school (College Saint-Alexandre in Gatineau) with a strict "nobody allowed to leave school grounds during the day". So of course me and 2 buddies would leave at lunch every day, walk 15-20 mins to a small strip mall where an operator was located. It wasn't an arcade but the operator always had a few machine out to make extra money. We only had about 15-20 mins to play and then walk back in time for class. It was all worth it lol.

So after spending a few months playing pretty much nothing other than Kohnami's Tutankhamun, where none of us ever got passed level 3 lol, then came the spring. The operator got a shitload of new games and set them all up in the storefront prior to routing them. I only remember our shock and surprise and excitement when we walked-in and went from 2-3 vids to a dozen vids and 4-5 pins. All new stuff. This is when I got to see and play a brand spanking new Orbitor-1. It had banana flippers, which is the only one I have seen like that. Not sure if the operator thought it looked nicer since everything was curved or if it came like that (early run). Anyway I was *mind blown* lol. It's also where I saw Haunted House for the first time. *mind blown* again lol.

Never seen an Orbitor-1 since (other than in pictures). Siiiigh.

Happy start to the week everyone :)

Cheers,

Mike
Currently owning:
===============

Nuthin really. Just a few leftover bits and pieces from when I did collect lol. Miss my lineup when I had MB, TSPP, DM, and Galaxy.

Thinking of going the virtual pinball route. Ugggh. I suck lol.

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:28 am

mrmikeman wrote:Never seen an Orbitor-1 since (other than in pictures). Siiiigh.

There was an Orbitor-1 at the Ottawa Pinball & Gameroom Show in 2017. Not sure if it was there again in 2018 since nobody could get in.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:27 pm

cap wrote:
mrmikeman wrote:Never seen an Orbitor-1 since (other than in pictures). Siiiigh.

There was an Orbitor-1 at the Ottawa Pinball & Gameroom Show in 2017. Not sure if it was there again in 2018 since nobody could get in.

Well, I was in because I brought a couple games but don't recall if Orbitor-1 was there. Novelty pin, imho.

Great walk-thru. Ref: viewtopic.php?p=211684#p211684

mrmikeman
MAACA Goliath

Postby mrmikeman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:17 am

OTTOgd wrote:

Novelty pin, imho.

Totally agree. I wasn't saying it was a good game. I was saying that in 1982 at a time where pinballs were underwhelming and video games ruled, Orbitor-1 was certainly an attention grabber. Something nobody had seen before.. Obviously now as adults we look back at those years and think those pinballs were good and Orbitor-1 was "meh" but in 1982 as a 13 year old living in a time of Atari 2600 at home, video games were amazingly enticing! Orbitor-1 was different and exciting enough to make me get away from vids and shove my meager allowance into a pinball.

We were a good 4 years before the resurgence of pins with games like High Speed and Pinbot. Now THOSE games made me spend ALL my 16/17 year old paycheck into pins! :)

Cheers,

Mike
Currently owning:
===============

Nuthin really. Just a few leftover bits and pieces from when I did collect lol. Miss my lineup when I had MB, TSPP, DM, and Galaxy.

Thinking of going the virtual pinball route. Ugggh. I suck lol.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:01 am

Looked up my journal from April 2,1982. 37 years ago - yikes !

Apart from my friend Mike throwing a full basket of french fries on Mary and I (for a laugh) at Lenzo's restaurant and my punching him in the ribs in return (I was mad) and being "asked" to leave the restaurant, (we were done anyway) there is a mention of playing Gottlieb's Volcano that night. We accumulated 8 replays between the three of us and then sold them to a kid for a buck because we wanted to stay at the arcade for a while without spending our valuable beer money. The journal says that we then racked up credits on Stars and Wild Fyre and got bored and sold those credits off as well. I remember playing those old Sterns when my quarters were running low, they were easier to get specials on, but then you were stuck playing them or you sold off the credits cheap to some sucker. That is what we decided to do that night in April of '82 and move on to the taverns of the time and see who was there. We usually found people we knew from school or the south shore.

Before midnight we drank beers at the Tupper Tavern, the Royal Pub, Diana's and the Toe Blake. We always seemed to meet people we knew there or while walking the arcade streets of our youth until 3 am or so. Downtown was our stomping grounds and for many of the entourage of friends we had back then as well.

Got back to my place before dawn and talked until Saturday morning. I was 19 and OK with whatever was going on, except for the french fry shower from my best mate Mike and pinball partner in crime who I am meeting at MacLeans pub tonight April 3rd, 2019 at 6PM after I do a quick check up on "the herd" at the North Star right after work. There is some kind of tournament there tonight. Guess I am an operator now, or should I say - again. Life cycles indeed. If it gets a chance to repeat, it will, you just have to stay alive long enough.

Mike and I will likely be talking about those nights in 1982, and about the present ofcourse. By the way, being in our mid fifties, we do not buy french fries anymore :lol: So no risk of violence tonight. Mike my pinball buddy remembered nothing about that night when I mentioned to him on the phone last night, he just laughed about the french fry shower and then after thinking for a moment said that he must have been a major asshole back then. I told him that I must have been one as well since I punched him in the ribs before getting kicked out of Lenzo's once again. Two young a-holes in 1982 pawning off replays to the kids of that time and looking for kicks.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Return to “Video games and consoles”