Saving an abandoned Street Fighter

Talk about video games (vids) and consoles from your past and present!!
semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Saving an abandoned Street Fighter

Post by semicolin »

Good story today.

My buddy sends me a text last night around 9 o'clock and he says I have to get downtown right away, there's an arcade game dumped in the lot next door.

Turns out the house next door was being demolished to make way for a condo development. The house was being used as the sales centre, and they'd had the arcade machine in there to keep themselves distracted.

Anyway, the demolition guy is ready to smash the thing to pieces and bury it in the old foundation hole. Lets me and my buddy take it for free if we get it out of his way. We drag it across the property, over felled trees, mud puddles, general detritus. Loaded it in the trailer and brought it home.

There's no key so I wrestle with the cabinet for a bit and get it open. Nothing living inside, everything is in reasonably good shape, and I can see that it's a JAMMA unit.

Alright, nothing to do now but power it up. Boots up, game plays well and the monitor is in focus- almost no burn in, just enough to give it some character. Unfortunately, on some of the background scrolls there is an annoying vertical line. I guess one of the RAM chips is pooched.

Oh well. I guess I'll convert this to a MAME cabinet. Suggestions for how to do this using the JAMMA harness and original monitor on the cheap? All the online resources for driving 15khz arcade monitors are extremely dated and involve very specific PC hardware configurations for components that are no longer sold. I could use some advice, and hey, I have an almost-perfect SF board stack if someone is in need.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: Saving an abandoned Street Fighter

Post by cait001 »

Nice find. Love the side art.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

shane
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shane »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

megadeth1977

Post by megadeth1977 »

Nice score man!

8bitchef
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by 8bitchef »

I've been looking for a cab like this forever. I can never find one lol

Good score. You should keep it a fighting cab!
"I am Error"

VIDS: Playchoice 10 - 2 projects - Jamma Nintendo cab

PINS: Firecracker

WANT: Atari cabs - Wrestlefest - batman pin 91 - judge dredd pin - stand up racing game - just show me what ya got

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

I've received that similar kind of call... no time to think about it. Just pick up and go.
Nice find!

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

Great find! Congrats.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

Menace
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Menace »

Ultimarc will be your friend if you want to convert the game to MAME using the original monitor and jamma setup. J-Pac and an ArcadeVGA card will fit the bill.

But honestly, I doubt it would take much to get the PCB running 100% given the pic you posted. Could be something as simple as reseating the ribbon cables between the stacks.

D

shovelhed
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by shovelhed »

Menace wrote:Ultimarc will be your friend if you want to convert the game to MAME using the original monitor and jamma setup. J-Pac and an ArcadeVGA card will fit the bill.

But honestly, I doubt it would take much to get the PCB running 100% given the pic you posted. Could be something as simple as reseating the ribbon cables between the stacks.

D
Uh, dont' do that!

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

Oh, I tried, I tried resetting the chips and the bus cables and I had no luck- but it wasn't really a problem because in all honesty I never was a huge fan of the original street fighter. I ended up ordering everything I needed for a MAME conversion from Ultimarc pretty soon after my first post and converted my dusty old xbox to run the show. Now it's far more versatile with a much higher replayability. I ended up giving away the board set to another member on here for him to try to fix.

Proof
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Proof »

sick find