Rockola World Series

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Rockola World Series

Post by cait001 »

I wanted to give a shout out to 2 of the coolest games from the 1930s: Rockola's World Series'!

The 1934 bagatelle-styled version is really cool:

But the star of the show is always the ridiculously coveted 1937 jukebox-styled pitch-n-bat:

gameplay

full detailed explanation, part 1

part 2
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: Rockola World Series

Post by cait001 »

bump in case you missed it
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Engineering was more complex back in the 30's for sure. Well, maybe not more complex. Mechanically it was definitely more complex, electrically not as much? I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words. I think items from the 30's such as this took more creativity and imagination to get running. The finished products had so many unique parts. Nowadays a lot of products piggyback on each other and borrow parts from the generation before. In the 30's everything was being built from scratch and everything was mostly made out of metal. Details were everything back then. The scoreboard is a perfect example of that. Oh, and the very fact that the umpire is behind the pitcher and raises his right arm to call one pitch and raises his left to call another is just incredible. There's no way a company would bother putting that feature into a modern day machine. They wouldn't want to waste the R&D designing it.

Thanks for sharing this. I'd play this way before I'd every play real baseball.

SquidVicious
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by SquidVicious »

They have (or had) one of the 1937 World series at the amusement museum in San Fran .... it is absolutely beautiful and having watched a few videos on it an engineering marvel. Game wise it was fun I think I played about a half dozen games on it and would happily have one in the collection (if not for the roughly 30K USD that refurbished ones seem to command)
SM GOT TZ CV TOTAN AFMLE Congo Meteor 2021

rocket30
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by rocket30 »

I am not king pin in electronic, i thing it could be easy to make a rerun of that game with today parts. What do you thing?
Serge
Pinbot,Old Chicago, Wild Life and Falstaff.
Spin Out,Buccaneer,Sure Shot-Traded