Bill From Balacade

Pinball and arcade links
cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Bill From Balacade

Post by cait001 »

So I am up in the Muskokas and I took a look at the Canadian Pinball Tracker to see if there were any machines in this area. Oh hey, there's some listed for a town called Bala. Some seasonal joint called the Balacade. Neato.

I plug it in to Google maps, which doesn't have the street on Street View, but from a different street you can actually see the Balacade with street view: http://goo.gl/maps/FGbxI

But then on the map I saw it, and it sent waves of nostalgia down my spine: "The Kee To Bala", right next door. It took only a moment of racking my memory, and it all came rushing back: BILL FROM BALA.

When I was younger, I was obsessed with The Frantics (Canadian comedy group, known for their sketch comedy tv show Four On The Floor), and especially their album Boot To The Head, which I received and mysteriously lost numerous copies of during my youth.
Bill From Bala was one of their classic sketches, so now I'm determined to complete the epic cycle: I must visit Bala.

backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: Bill From Balacade

Post by cait001 »

I went to visit Balacade today and it was great! First, the town was lovely and they have a great dam + waterfall. The arcade has been there for 50 years.
The guy running the place has been an operator for 45+ years. He says that over the years he's scrapped in the range of 500 pinball machines, just due to lack of space during the pinball slumps.

He had a 1905 Cail-O-Scope in the back, with a gag reel from a Charlie Chaplin knock-off, and a few other cute things.

I had to try Operation Wolf again, but after 2 quarters quickly realize why I didn't like gun games like that. Oww, my finger!

As you can see he had the Marilyn Taxi backglass up for sale. And also has a Taxi topper sitting on the wack-a-gator game. I asked about the game itself, and he said he turned it in to a table!

I played pinball, mostly. I was surprised how enjoyable each table was, and how different they all were. I never expected Gilligan's Island to be so much fun, and I love the rotating island gimmick. Gladiators was a pleasant surprise, and I have added it to my list of cheap DMDs that I am on the lookout for.

And of course I include a photo of the Kee To Bala, from the aforementioned Frantics sketch.
Attachments
Operation Wolf
Operation Wolf
Play With Peppy
Play With Peppy
Shake Hands With Uncle Sam
Shake Hands With Uncle Sam
Gypsy Grandma
Gypsy Grandma
the Cail-O-Scope
the Cail-O-Scope
redemption games
redemption games
pool table, foosball, etc.
pool table, foosball, etc.
love the 4-player Simpsons
love the 4-player Simpsons
the pinball lineup!
the pinball lineup!
IMG_2029.JPG
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

more pics...
Attachments
Marilyn Taxi backglass
Marilyn Taxi backglass
Star Trek backglass
Star Trek backglass
Super Hang-On!
Super Hang-On!
above the door
above the door
the kee to bala
the kee to bala
the view at the back
the view at the back

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Decent little arcade. Cool.

I'm fighting the *need* for a Lethal Enforcers. :oops:

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

oh, forgot to show what I bought!
Attachments
IMG_2068.JPG

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Another year, another Muskokas visit, another trip to Bala and the Balacade!

Things weren't changed much since last year, and the 4 pins were still there. All kept in pretty great condition.

I got nearly a billion on Gladiators, but obviously I do not know how to play since the 4th high-score is like 5.9 billion!
IMG_20140621_122140.jpg
Gilligan's Island was fun once again. I understand the hate, there really is only one mode, but it's super fun to go for. Great game to play every once in a while, but must be agony in a collection that isn't over 10+ games deep.
I beat KONA twice!
IMG_20140621_112009.jpg
During my trip last year was when I got my very first 3 marquees, a decorating obsession that has spiraled out of control since. Stuff on the wall was no longer on sale this time. He said things were getting too sparse. But he did have 2 in a left-overs pile that I was able to buy. Space Harrier for my wall, and Enduro Racer to give to my nephew.
IMG_20140621_141204.jpg
Will check back in their next year!

also:
IMG_20140621_114645.jpg