Ottawa Pinball Arcade Tournaments - Every Wednesday

Get your official news and highlights from both the Ottawa Pinball Arcade Freeplay Wednesday League, as well as the Montreal Pinball Arcade Freeplay Friday League!!
Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Ottawa Pinball Arcade Tournaments - Every Wednesday

Post by Mike@PinballMedics »

https://ottawapinballarcade.ca/pinball- ... -are-back/

The Ottawa Pinball Arcade will begin hosting IFPA sanctioned Tournaments every Wednesday starting this week, July 6th, to coincide with our weekly $10 Free Play Wednesday event, featuring 30+ Pinball Machines.

Tournament Entry is free, we will be absorbing the IFPA entry fee to encourage beginners and experienced players alike, regardless of age or skill level.

Our Free Play events start at 5:00pm, and the Tournaments will start at 7:00pm.

Weekly winners will receive coupons for future Free Play Wednesdays, coupons for 50% off up to $10.00 (perfect for doubling down on our Tallboy & 1/2 of Wings Special), other cool SWAG, as well as IFPA points.

We will be holding weekly three strike tournaments throughout July and August, looking to form leagues for September. Our goal is to provide an experience where "fun" is the main goal, and by creating teams, it will be possible to provide attainable winning scenarios for all team players to achieve, as well as significant IFPA points and prizes for the top individual competitors.

As the owner of a significant number of games which I can for play "Free" any time, the concept of "Winning" a Free Game or Special has no significance, as there is no perceived "Reward" to prompt a rush of dopamine to my ridiculously High Tolerance Pinball Addiction.

I know this to be true of many of us. On our Free Play nights, some people actually lament the fact that they miss the experience of dropping a coin in the machine, which is for this precise reason, whether they are aware of it consciously or not.

But it is as real an Experience as a Heart Attack. Even if it is merely the result of self internalized illusion. When I hear that knocker call my name, I salivate like a Pavlov dog.

In reality, there was never anything to win.

Your "Free Game" would get played off, your quarter would still be in the machine, and you'd still leave with an empty pocket. Even Charlie Sheen knows that's not "Winning".

So in this way, by introducing the IFPA "Point" system, it allows us to Experience the sensory thrill of "Winning" in a way not unlike the sensation of a Credit Knocker that feels like it just punched you in the chest.

In a good way.

Our Tournament Director Ben will be handling this project moving forward, and we will be doing it as we did in the past, with the featured game on the main Stage in the Restaurant/Bar area.

As well as Pinball, the Neighbourhood Pub offers a Wednesday Night Special themselves; A 1/2 pound of Wings and a Faxe Tallboy for $10.00. No limit, you can order them all night!

Looking really forward to getting things up and running, we will continually provide updates here as we develop our Tournaments!

Mike
PINBALL SALES with Warranty & Delivery in Ottawa or Montreal, and all points in between. Shipping available across Canada.

EXPERT PINBALL REPAIR for all brands. Specializing in difficult to solve problems with Advanced Troubleshooting requiring a deep knowledge of all interrelated systems from early Solid State, Alpha-Numeric, DMD, and Modern LCD era. Games can be dropped off in Ottawa or Montreal by appointment. Call ahead and bring it to our main repair & production facility at 923 Av Girouard in Montreal, near Sherbrooke & Decarie. We can usually fix it while you wait.

BOARD REPAIR for all brands.

PINBALL PARTS via Canada Post. In stock, ready to ship.
Or Pre-Order for Free Pickup in Ottawa, Alfred, or Montreal.
Full Inventory Available in Ottawa Mon - Fri from 9am - 10pm, and weekends from 2pm - 10pm.
Basic parts are available in Montreal (call ahead), and anything ordered in advance can be picked up week days in Montreal by appointment, or Saturdays in Alfred at no charge.

THE OTTAWA PINBALL ARCADE - 2559 Baseline Rd featuring 30+ Pinball Machines & several Classic Video Games.

THE OTTAWA MONTREAL PINBALL MUSEUM Coming Soon!

https://www.pinballmedics.ca
https://ottawapinballarcade.ca

Rob@PinballMedics
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Ottawa Pinball Arcade Tournaments - Every Wednesday

Post by Rob@PinballMedics »

I heard there would be a TFTC ready for this Wednesday.
PINBALL SALES with Warranty & Delivery in Ottawa or Montreal, and all points in between. Shipping available across Canada.

EXPERT PINBALL REPAIR for all brands. Specializing in difficult to solve problems with Advanced Troubleshooting requiring a deep knowledge of all interrelated systems from early Solid State, Alpha-Numeric, DMD, and Modern LCD era. Games can be dropped off in Ottawa or Montreal by appointment. Call ahead and bring it to our main repair & production facility at 923 Av Girouard in Montreal, near Sherbrooke & Decarie. We can usually fix it while you wait.

Full Inventory Available in Ottawa Mon - Fri from 9am - 10pm, and weekends from 2pm - 10pm.
Basic parts are available in Montreal (call ahead), and anything ordered in advance can be picked up week days in Montreal by appointment, or Saturdays in Alfred at no charge.

THE OTTAWA PINBALL ARCADE - 2559 Baseline Rd featuring 30+ Pinball Machines & several Classic Video Games.

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 184 times

Post by semicolin »

Oh fun!

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

semicolin wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:01 am
Oh fun!
Rob@PinballMedics wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:04 pm

I heard there would be a TFTC ready for this Wednesday.
I plead Guilty to both charges.
IMG_1505.JPG
Debit 4 "Hail Marys" from my Account Balance.

Mike

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Fifty »

This couldn't happen at a better time. My family has decided to move back to Ottawa from out East. We move back into our old neighbourhood on July 23rd. I'm looking forward to the events. I always had a great time on Wednesday nights.

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

Fifty wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:14 pm
This couldn't happen at a better time. My family has decided to move back to Ottawa from out East. We move back into our old neighbourhood on July 23rd. I'm looking forward to the events. I always had a great time on Wednesday nights.
I just couldn't do it without you Tim, it wouldn't be the same.

So I waited patiently until you decided to come back.

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Mike

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by steamfitter »

:up :thumbup
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Flash Gordon , Firepower , Jacks to Open,
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

Xylog
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Xylog »

:up :party
Flash Gordon, Genesis, RollerGames, Black Knight 2000,
Atlantis(Bally), Civic Center, Granny & The Gators, Expressway,
Flash Baseball, Time Machine, Badcats
LF: Bigger House

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

Thanks to all who came out for our first tournament in over 5 years!

Many circumstances conspired to complicate the evening as our Computer system failed, then the backup iPhone attempt failed within the first few minutes, immediately followed by our Tournament Director falling ill, forcing me to run the tournament myself unprepared with nothing but a pen and a piece of paper after it had already started on Brackelope...

No pressure. If Jimi could blow his dust off the Sun headlining Woodstock tripping balls on Acid in front of half a million people with a new band he'd barely practiced with during a Thunderstorm, this couldn't be that bad could it?

hot-docs-hendrix-feature-1024x575.jpg

So I was forced to remove myself from the Tournament, and do my best impersonation of a Chicken running around with it's head cut off to salvage the evenings event...

My apologies to anyone who was inconvenienced.

I will have a new dedicated tablet running Match Play at the suggestion of some attending Tournament Veterans which will streamline things considerably. We will add a large screen on the back wall with current matchups and standings etc. to prevent my having to rely on my human megaphone to communicate with the attendees. And I will hook up the PA system just in case...

I did not and do not want to "run" the Tournaments, as I am busy running the Arcade and would truly like to participate in the Tournaments without stress and actually play Pinball. The only thing I don't do with the things these days. But I will be helping run the Tournaments until such time as all the bugs are ironed out and they are running smoothly, and will not be playing myself until then. Hopefully it will only be another week or two.

My main concern is that our guests enjoy themselves and have fun, and despite the fact that the evening began with a lot of stress, I did wind up enjoying myself in the end, and I hope everyone else did as well.

Congratulation to the Casselman Family, who took the top three spots, which I understand should not come as a surprise, and Mike who won first place with only one Strike all night!

We will upload the results to the IFPA by the weekend, and we look forward to our Sophomore Tournament next Wednesday the 13th, and hope to see you all again, as we continue to adjust and improve our format every week!

Mike

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by mrmikeman »

Someone needs to challenge those Casselmans!!! I volunteer! :D
PINS:
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades
Stern Star Trek Pro - Stern Enterprise, pinblades, laser cut Enterprise side armor
Star Wars Prem - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)[/b]
Lord of the Rings - ColorDMD, Pinsound board, speakers, and headphone station, Shaker. Mods: Laser cut armor, LED backglass panel lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board, speakers, and shaker, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Weird Al LE
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC / XBOX 1X

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke

Gone but not forgotten
So many... MMrRE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

Blackghost4
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

You did a good job Mike under the circumstances.
It was a great night.
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Bad Girls (1988), Gottlieb Striker (1982), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Incredible Hulk (1979), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Buccaneer (1976), Gottlieb Pro Football (1973), Gottlieb Jacks to Open (1984), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974),Gottlieb Dancing Dolls (1960)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Gottlieb Operation Thunder, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

Playr_Juan
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Playr_Juan »

mrmikeman wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:22 am
I am training but can’t beat 6B on fish tales…
Maybe one day!!! Coming for ya Casselmans!!

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

Playr_Juan wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:05 pm
mrmikeman wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:22 am
I am training but can’t beat 6B on fish tales…
Maybe one day!!! Coming for ya Casselmans!!
I'll just watch you guys go at it and have a beer! :D

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

Match Play was a success, and this time the computer control system worked flawlessly.

Ben wound up not only helping run the tournament, but winning as well, and passing his prize on to 2nd place winner Dave!

Now that we have the Tournament Software stabilized, we will continue to adjust and improve our format.

We have a new 60" screen coming for the back wall that will post the details like an Airport Arrival/Departure board, so everyone can easily see when and where they need to be, as well as a second screen that will show the streaming gameplay on the featured game of the evening. We will also be wiring in a screen or two on the Pub side for those wanting to keep an eye on the action while eating and drinking at their table.

We have heard that the start time is too early for many players, so we will now be starting our Tournaments no earlier than 8:00pm.

Even with large turnouts, with 33 Pinball Machines using Single Games to determine Strikes, and Three Strikes for a Knockout, we should easily be able to wrap up by 10:00 - 10:30, with only the final players staying right until the end of the evening.

Mike

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

We went to last night's tournament, was super fun! It's not complicated folks, and either Mike or Ben will explain how it works. Nice crowd, including some younger members! I made it to the final few games, so did my girlfriend. Learned quite a few tricks along the way from generous players!

Also had never played Tales from the Crypt before, it has no business being that fun! Thanks Mike and Ben for setting everything up! You guys must have been tired after that event. Folks, just show up next Wednesday at around 6pm, you'll have a great time!

20220720_202303.jpg
20220720_192200.jpg

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

Just a heads up that we are starting Free Play Wednesdays at 3:30pm, and everyone is welcome to come early, enjoy the Ice Cold Air, and take advantage of the Unlimited 1/2 lb of Wings and Faxe Tallboy $10 Specials!
IMG_1620.jpg

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

We'll be there, want to try that Taxi and spend more time on Tales from the Crypt!!

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor

My regular supplier of used big screen tv's has been short on stock for the last few weeks, but this kindly gentleman was nice enough to donate one to the cause!
IMG_1633.jpg
So with any luck, we will have the current Match Play Tournament Status on the Big Screen for tomorrow night's Main Event!

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

It'll be in SparkyVision..!

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by Sparky »

I am not a tourney guy at all, but I must admit, you had me at wings and tallboy. LOL.

I have to try and tank at least once. lol

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

Actually, those wings are delicious!!

Return to “Ottawa / Montreal Pinball Arcade League”