Save the date: August 16-18 - CNE Gaming Garage

Pinball and arcade related events and tournaments
MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Save the date: August 16-18 - CNE Gaming Garage

Postby MCS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:47 pm

I know it's a bit early for some to be planning, but maybe others are already looking ahead to summer, so I wanted to make sure you knew the dates for the big CNE event this year: August 16-18

There will be daily Classics tournaments, a Main tournament, a Women's tournament, and a Youth tournament as well. Details still to be worked out, but it promises to be a great time!

In addition to the many tournaments in the Gaming Garage, there's going to be a free play area as well and other gaming-related activities like arcades and video games. Plus, this is taking place as part of the CNE, so there's all the rides, games, food trucks, concerts, animals, and all of the other fun things at The Ex. Might be a good way to combine pinball with a family vacation... :)

Stay tuned for more information!

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Re: Save the date: August 16-18 - CNE Gaming Garage

Postby WARLOCK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 pm

Durham
Ottawa
Toronto
London
Kitchener / Waterloo
Scarborough

Are all supporting this event.
Consider being involved....

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 am

MCS wrote:...this is taking place as part of the CNE, so there's all the rides, games, food trucks, concerts, animals, and all of the other fun things at The Ex. Might be a good way to combine pinball with a family vacation....

WARLOCK wrote:Are all supporting this event.
Consider being involved....

Great.... um.... what is it? Where is it?? What is a CNE?? I know my Ex but I want nothing to do with her, especially fun things.

You are all assuming that everyone knows what this even is. Hell, even I am confused here.

Pardon my complete uncultured ignorance... but I have no idea what this is about, so it is hard to support it.

And then I wonder why I feel detached of this hobby sometimes. LOL
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am

Google is your friend. The first entry when you search for CNE is the Canadian National Exhibition.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 am

For those that were asking, myself included, the lockout ended in November and so attending won't be crossing a picket line: https://globalnews.ca/news/4667237/tent ... ion-place/

CNE website: https://theex.com/
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1934 PAMCO Contact Master, 1936 Bally Challenger (lent), 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series, 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1934 Bally Signal Sr (lent), 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Par Golf, 1960s Bingolette
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Postby MCS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Sparky wrote:You are all assuming that everyone knows what this even is. Hell, even I am confused here.

Thanks for pointing this out, Sparky! Having grown up in Toronto, I have clearly misjudged how well known the CNE is outside of the centre of the universe. ;)

The Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) is a massive two-week-long fair that is held at Exhibition Place in Toronto. There's an airshow on the Labour Day long weekend, concerts throughout, weird food creations, animal shows, carnival rides and games, etc.

For the past couple of years, there's also been something called the Gaming Garage where various gaming booths have been set up by different groups. They had places where people could play Overwatch and Fortnite and other video games. I think there were also arcade machines, but definitely some pinball machines set up on free play. In addition to that, there was the CNE Pinball Championship. Last year they expanded the tournaments to include Classics and Women's. This year they want to make it even bigger.

The long-term goal is to make this a Canadian destination pinball event.

I know Eddie will be looking for games and volunteers, with the latter probably being the most relevant way for the folks in this neck of the woods to get involved, but if you're able to bring your games for the weekend, I'm sure that will be appreciated, too.

Really, though, I'm sharing the information at this point for people who want to take part as participants.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm

cap wrote:Google is your friend. The first entry when you search for CNE is the Canadian National Exhibition.

I am not that much of an idiot. :roll:

Just saying, if people can't see what it's about right off the bat, they move onto the next topic.

There is ZERO exposure of the CNE east of Ontario. Nada. Hence my post.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Sparky wrote:There is ZERO exposure of the CNE east of Ontario. Nada. Hence my post.

I agree, the CNE is totally unknown here. If you are in Toronto in the summer, the CNE is impossible to miss.
I've never been to the CNE, but I've been to its little cousin http://expo-agricole.com/
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Return to “Events”