San Francisco Rush crt monitor conversion to an lcd

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Re: San Francisco Rush crt monitor conversion to an lcd

Post by BrianV80 »

Azatotht wrote:Can you open the converter's card menu ?

This will tell you if it's only adjustments or the whole connection that is wrong.

If the settings are not done yet, it might be normal. If the card's menu shows properly then just move on to the card setup.
Yeah went through all the settings and still got the garbled screen. Menu shows up fine. Might it be the yellow cable?

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Was the old monitor working ? Are you sure that the game is working (videocard might be bad ?)

I would not rule the monitor configurations out yet as i remember it to be a total PITA to do.. any single adjustment can make the screen out of whack. Did you follow my guidelines to set it up ? Try another resolution, all lcd monitors are different, mine was working fine at 1024x768 but yours might be better at 800x600...

Get the game in test mode and try to get the monitor setup on screen, screen might be too wide/high etc...

I would be really surprised if the yellow cable is the issue. I do remember having this type of garbling as well, it's been a while and i dont remember exactly why but you should be able to get an image by following my steps.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Forgot to mention, you may have to push the 'auto adjust' button on the monitor itself (can be in the monitor menu too) for it to synch with the card..

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Yeah I tinkered around more this morning. Just to clarify I have two units therefor I bought two cards. The one unit, the unit I tried first had a bad tube so it always played blind. Thought it might be a bad video card but then tested on the other unit that has working monitor and got the same garbled results.

So I thought maybe I got a bad video convertor card, tried the other one....slightly better results. At first the calibration screen was jumping all over the place. So I adjusted the horizontal hold and got pic on the screen to stay still. Unfortunately nothing else would adjust. When I would try and adjust the screen it would then turn black using the horizontal and vertical hold options. At this point I'm lost and not sure what to try.
Azatotht wrote:Forgot to mention, you may have to push the 'auto adjust' button on the monitor itself (can be in the monitor menu too) for it to synch with the card..
Attachments
sync2.JPG
sync.JPG

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Congrats, you are doing well... told you it was a PITA, configuring the monitor is definitely tedious but you will be able to do it if you follow my guidelines EXACTLY.

Here is the exact sequence you have to do, do it and you should be fine:
First thing you are going to do is to change the language, then the resolution (change it to the 3rd option works best (1024 x 768). Then adjust the trim pots at the vga card. The 3 trim pots are for your colors. Usually these cards ship with these trim pots adjusted to full output making your colors very washed out (mines were already adjusted to half but yours might be different, it definitely looks better at half (i tried other settings)).. Turn them to half, all of them the same the best you can. This will give you very good contrast and brightness.

Then play with the following settings,
Clamp ST and Clamp SP, this will prevent your screen from turning pink or purple (mine went all purple before i did that, never again once i adjusted that option). Under geometry I believe. Also these controls the horizontal scan of the picture.

This is how you set it the best, IMO.

Start with the clamp that by default starts at 90. Start going down in numbers(89,88,87,…)not up in numbers (very important step). At some point the screen will go black. When it goes black, go one more number down(at 62 it turned black, set it to 61. Just an example, ok. Your number might be different)

Now start adjusting the other clamp that by default it starts at 95. At 62 (remember, its just an example) your screen should come back full screen with really good colors and it should not turn pink on you anymore. Leave it at this setting.

Go into the game monitor test and set it to convergence (or cross bar check). All you need is an image that shows a full screen with vertical and horizontal lines. After this hit auto adjust at the monitor itself. The monitor should adjust the screen to full filling the image all the way to the edges.

If needed, then go back to the vga card and stretch the image horizontally and vertically.

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Crap missed this step....damn now I have to wait all day to try this!!!

I'll try tonight and report back! Was yours messed up/garbled like this before you did the convergence????

Azatotht wrote:Congrats, you are doing well... told you it was a PITA, configuring the monitor is definitely tedious but you will be able to do it if you follow my guidelines EXACTLY.

Here is the exact sequence you have to do, do it and you should be fine:
First thing you are going to do is to change the language, then the resolution (change it to the 3rd option works best (1024 x 768). Then adjust the trim pots at the vga card. The 3 trim pots are for your colors. Usually these cards ship with these trim pots adjusted to full output making your colors very washed out (mines were already adjusted to half but yours might be different, it definitely looks better at half (i tried other settings)).. Turn them to half, all of them the same the best you can. This will give you very good contrast and brightness.

Then play with the following settings,
Clamp ST and Clamp SP, this will prevent your screen from turning pink or purple (mine went all purple before i did that, never again once i adjusted that option). Under geometry I believe. Also these controls the horizontal scan of the picture.

Start with the clamp that by default starts at 90. Start going down in numbers(89,88,87,…)not up in numbers (very important step). At some point the screen will go black. When it goes black, go one more number down(at 62 it turned black, set it to 61. Just an example, ok. Your number might be different)

Now start adjusting the other clamp that by default it starts at 95. At 62 (remember, its just an example) your screen should come back full screen with really good colors and it should not turn pink on you anymore. Leave it at this setting.

Go into the game monitor test and set it to convergence (or cross bar check). All you need is an image that shows a full screen with vertical and horizontal lines. After this hit auto adjust at the monitor itself. The monitor should adjust the screen to full filling the image all the way to the edges.

If needed, then go back to the vga card and stretch the image horizontally and vertically.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

BrianV80 wrote:Crap missed this step....damn now I have to wait all day to try this!!!

I'll try tonight and report back! Was yours messed up/garbled like this before you did the convergence????
I remember a lot of swearing and the garble/convergence issues are familiar indeed.

I did write this thread exactly for that reason, i cant believe anyone would be able to setup that thing without these infos..

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Just noticed this

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j10GC ... GA-CGA.jpg

If you look at the 5 pin connector it looks like that is the one I should use for the medium Rez??? Thoughts

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

No, keep on going with the cable that came with the card ;-)

You have an image now, just do the sequence i posted and report back please.

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Made alittle progress not much I can't get screen to fill monitor it seems like it is just 4:3

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Ok after tinkering around some more I got screen to fill out now my colors are not good so more tonkering

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Did you do the CLAMPS adjustment sequence ? This is what fixed the colors on mine..

Btw, it IS 4:3, this is the downside of this modification, ratio is wrong.

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Yeah I messed with clamp settings. As mentioned early I have 3 cabinets and 2 of which I'm keeping and trying to covert to LED flat panels. I fear one of my convertor boards might be damage because I can't get anything other then garble from the one.... Further more messing with the colors I can't really get a good picture. I'll play around more with my monitor settings tonight.

RandomDMZ
MAACA New Contributor

Post by RandomDMZ »

Hello, I have tried to view this thread with Fire fox and Google chrome, and on both many of the picture have been removed, and I can not see the videos... CAn you please update this, as I am in the middle of doing this and losing my mind. Biggest thing is picture of the cable interface from moniter to VGA card, and what power to vga card you used. THANKS !!!!!!

RandomDMZ
MAACA New Contributor

Post by RandomDMZ »

Got it working with a old vga monitor. I guess vga to HDMI doesn't work.....

RandomDMZ
MAACA New Contributor

Post by RandomDMZ »

I keep getting this at the bottom of the screen.
Attachments
IMG_20151118_222828.jpg

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

I am not sure why you can't see the videos.. they are hosted on Youtube.

Here's a link to my videos on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Azatotht/v ... =dd&view=0

You'll have to go by the images since I am speaking french in those, sorry :mrgreen:

As for your error, it has nothing to do with the VGA conversion itself, try this: reset the high scores, statistics and go through all the tests.

RandomDMZ
MAACA New Contributor

Post by RandomDMZ »

Up and running, thanks. I would have never been able to do it without this guide.
Attachments
received_10206054247167872.jpeg

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

I'm very happy that this could help you out :-)

What size is the lcd ?

RandomDMZ
MAACA New Contributor

Post by RandomDMZ »

The 28 inch could have fit (I would have to remove the monitors bezel), but i could not find a 28 inch that would take the older VGA signals. So i have to go with a 27 inch HP, it fits with less that a 1/4 of an inch gap. I do not have it mounted 100% as of now, and I don't have the black cardboard in yet as you can see. A stripped bolt had me working on the damn thing till 2am last night.

gearheadvr4
MAACA New Contributor

Post by gearheadvr4 »

This thread helped me a lot! Thank you, got my San Fransisco Rush cab going again.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

gearheadvr4 wrote:This thread helped me a lot! Thank you, got my San Fransisco Rush cab going again.
Cool, glad to hear :-)

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

I fixed the videos in this tutorial.

Cheers !

Valcyr02
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Valcyr02 »

Bonjour,
Dans un premier temps merci pour cette vidéo qui m'a permis de brancher cette carte gbs 8220. Je rencontre cependant un problème avec l'image de mon écran LCD. Celui-ci régulièrement m'affiche un ecran noir avec ''no signal'' puis revient sur le jeu. Impossible de jouer correctement.
Jai essayé de brancher uniquement le jaune puis le gris et enfin les 2 mais le message ''no signal'' revient à chaque fois.
J'ai besoin de votre aide car les enfants sont impatients... et moi aussi de jouer.
Merci d'avance.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Ça fait vraiment longtemps mais si je me souviens bien, la clé était de suivre cette procédure religieusement:

À la dernière étape, à la fin, il faut appuyer sur le 'auto adjust' du moniteur lui-même.