The THANKS-giving thread

Talk about anything that you would like.
Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 5 times

The THANKS-giving thread

Post by Drano »

With our Thanksgiving holiday just a couple of weeks behind us and our neighbours to the South about to celebrate their own, I thought it would be an appropriate time to start this thread. I have always felt that the vast majority of folks in this hobby are a pretty awesome lot. Recent experiences have greatly reinforced this opinion and I just wanted to create a place to recognize those that go above and beyond. I hope others will use this thread to do the same.

Firstly, the travelling exploits of Warlock and Brewmanager are well documented and I owe many a game in my basement to the efforts of those two.
Scott and Walt and I are all friends and I suppose this isn't news... but my appreciation goes out to them anyway. Also, our own resident enabler has helped me procure more than a game or two :FP:

I have also had the good fortune to be on the receiving end of much goodwill from people that were once relative strangers. Some have become good friends and others I have still not met. I've had tons of help securing games and parts from great distances and across the border; whether it be from Squidvicious bringing me my C37 from Michigan a couple of years ago on his way back from Expo or Spiroagnew assisting with the collection of a minty T2 from upper NY state.

More recently, I was lucky to receive the help of DosReboot (whom I have never met) in procuring a rare find; a beautiful populated Space Station playfield near Detroit. I was then further assisted by TKAYE in getting the same playfield back to the GTA.

Last week, while I was on a family vacation, two games I have wanted became avaiable. One was a mint HUO Interflip Dragon near Newmarket. Without any means of obtaining or paying for the game, Menace (who lives near the seller) came to the rescue and even enlisted the help of a neighbour to get it out of the basement and safely home. Within a day, FiftyQuid listed a 1959 Williams Pinch Hitter for a co-worker. I had been looking for a classic P&B for about two years. I was amazed that Tim was so willing to help me out and hop in a car late monday night and drive a fair distance to Petawawa and back to grab it for me. He and I have also never met and had only exchanged a couple of PMs in the past. On a side note, I think I may now hold the record for long distance pin purchases :D

Lastly, it is a testament to our great community, accross multiple forums and geographical regions, that I have had the great fortune to receive the hospitality of a great many of you from Windsor & London to Ottawa, Montreal and beyond. Many of you have opened your homes to me and my friends and it is always greatly appreciated.

I know that I could go on and on, and I'm sure I have missed people, but hopefully a heartfelt 'thank you' to all will suffice for now.
I also hope I am not embarassing anyone, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. All of these folks and their great attitudes have made the hobby a great place to be and have provided far more enjoyment than I could have simply derived from flipping around a steel ball.

So, to everyone I've noted and those I haven't, my greatest appreciation.
Thank you!!!
:clap
Last edited by Drano on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: The THANKS-giving thread

Post by WARLOCK »

Well said sir.
I owe a lot of thanks to a lot of people on a regular basis in this hobby.
Thank you all.

Adriano, Walt, Doug and myself, as well as many others try and return the favours wherever possible.

A special thanks from myself goes out to Williams Fan, Murrsky, Trevor H. and Mobstar in Ottawa lately.
A special thanks to Sparky on a regular basis, R.A.B. and Moving Pictures in Montreal of late as well.

A general discussion " behind the scenes" of indicating and embracing "gratitude" is prevalent recently.
I think this is a great thing and it keeps things happening and getting even better.

Thanks to Wong, Drano and several others (who know who they all are) for constantly "keeping me in trouble" hunting that next treasure.
I have found that the key for myself lately is to pass many of these aquisitions along to others much sooner rather than later.

Thank you all for making this a fun and enjoyable hobby.
Thank you for your continued assistance.

brewmanager
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by brewmanager »

Hey, no worries Drano!

I've had a lot of help myself (too many to even begin to name) and just like to return the favours when I can, or pay it forward at least.
HS, MET, TWD, Stars, IMDN, Rush, STh (all pros), GOT LE, JtO, Godzilla Prem

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Any time Drano! I was just happy to be a part of someone else's pinball hunting adventure! Living through you these last couple of days has been a ton of fun. Never met you, but the fact that you were willing to trust me enough to send me a wad of cash electronically just shows how great the pinball community is.

I have a ton of people to thank. If it wasn't for everyone here I wouldn't even have a pinball machine. Thinking back to some of my first 'too honest' posts you guys provided a lot of feedback that really helped me learn a lot in a short amount of time. Your comments helped me select my first pin and I never once thought "man, I wish I would have bought this one instead". If it had just been me, on my own, I'm sure I would have bought something too complicated or not to my liking and I would probably have overpaid too.

I'd surely forget someone if I started naming names so I'll hand out a blanket "thanks" to everyone here. :D

ShootAgain
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by ShootAgain »

FiftyQuid wrote:I have a ton of people to thank. If it wasn't for everyone here I wouldn't even have a pinball machine.
+1 :P

Thank you to maaca and PBRev! Without these sites, there would be no community.

Thank you to Josh who annually organizes the only Pinball show in Canada.

Thank you to Sylvain and Pinhead, The experts who help me to fix my machines.

Thank you all :mrgreen:
It's only Pinball! Carry on, BUCKO!

SquidVicious
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by SquidVicious »

ShootAgain wrote:
FiftyQuid wrote:.

Thank you to Josh who annually organizes the only Pinball show in Canada.

:mrgreen:
Big thanks to Josh for the O-Town show but did the Calgary show stop running (not that I'd ever been to it) ?
SM GOT TZ CV TOTAN AFMLE Congo Meteor 2021

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

You freakin' hippies !! :shock:

Saying thanks like that, what the heck is wrong with you guys ? All those dingbats out there who can't think for themselves are going to think you are weaklings and weirdos. :lol:

So my turn to join your ranks for thanks :

Thank you Ian, John, Sylvain, and Victor for starting this Montreal based forum which has grown beyond their expectaions.
Thank you Scott and all those in Toronto who understand media manipulation and for helping in bridging our great cultural divide.
Thank you Alain, Ian, Bruno, Laurent, J.F., for your thoughtful company and your careful words of advice.
Thank you Greg, Danny, Chris, and the latest motely crew in keeping me motivated however silly you sound sometimes to an old pirate.
Thank you Alan, Terry, Adam, Mark and the others who are excited about all things pinball.
Thank you to Brock, Wayne, G-Man and all the controversial minds that make me rethink my ideas and sharpen my words.
Thank you Gino, Ghislain, Guy, Phil, Sylvain for your twisted humour and understanding of all things silly which I may write.
Thank you Josh, Geoff, Sylvain, Guy, Jason, Steve and the Ottawa/Gatineau gang who knows what all this is really about.
Thank you to all the people I have met and whose real names I stil remember way beyond their MAACA handles,- mostly because they have made a mark on me somehow which has stuck/stung.

Let's not forget the 50 + club, the last of the boomers, I believe there needs to be a mention here of thanks to most of you with a brain and a memory. I feel connected to alot of you who understand what an amazing threshold we have passed and how dangerously fragile the future is.

Sincerely,

R.A.B.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Thank you.
Gratitude is good.
Last edited by WARLOCK on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Nice thread.

I'd say thanks to all our members, who came and left through all these years, you've made the content and created this community.

Thanks to Ian, Vic and John for getting me in this hobby. For my first bottle of novus, for getting my first game in the basement, for laughing because it was a GTB i bought from Alouette, for still being in my life.

Thanks to everyone who's been caught helping me with my stairs :lol: :FP:

Thanks to my wife for understanding my passion.. NOT ! :evil:

Thanks to this hobby for helping me keep my sanity while personal problems could have stolen it from me.

Cheers ! :beerchug
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

OPL_EvilOberführer
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by OPL_EvilOberführer »

Thanks to the OPL and MAACA folks, everyone involved in THE Ottawa Pinball and Gameroom Show and the House of Targ crew...to name a few, along with all those private collectors out there that help to keep the pinball passion fires stoked.

You showed me that pinball did not die (along with part of my soul); took me into your world with no expectations even though I own no pinballs at all and you always showed honest gratitude for every little thing I ever did in the name of helping pinball stay alive, with honest gratitude.

When I was feeling a bit down and sorry for myself and like I really wasn't giving very much back to the pinball world and almost broke away from your company, you picked me up. Your compassionate communications were everything from "Please don't go, we'll really miss you, we really enjoy your company." to "No, you really DO do things that are appreciated and we're really grateful." to the impassioned "What the hell are you talking about? You do a LOT for pinball. Get your head back into the damn game, man" all the way to the to communication from a total stranger in a far off town who invited me with open arms into his home with the words: "Sounds like you're having a bit of a rough go, things WILL get better. If you're ever down my way, drop in for a beer and to play". (THAT REALLY touched me!)

The thing I like best about all of you all is that you're so damn helpful and supportive to others that share our passion.

Thanks to everyone for answering the lure of the silver ball and helping to keep pinball alive by doing every thing, no matter how big or how small that you do. We all really do help keep each others inner child healthy, happy, well, giggling and rosy-cheeked.
The "BEST" pinball is the one that YOU love the most!

OPL Mar 2016 Tournament Results
http://opl-2015-2016.challonge.com/OPL_Mar2015

OPL 2015/2016 Consolidated Regular Season Results
http://tinyurl.com/OPL2016

World Pinball Map...Please help keep it updated!
https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

Pinball.Customs
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Pinball.Customs »

Want to say a HUGE thanks to my buddies Josh (meegis) and Doug (menace) for helping me get a nice Gottlieb Pinball Pool to work on during the winter months.

Want to say a huge FU to the assholes who tried to sour the deal after I already paid for the machine (you know who you are). Saying "I would have paid you $XXX!" when you obviously wouldn't have is very helpful.
http://www.pinballcustoms.com

CHECK OUT MY BLOG! PB Customs' Whacky Mod Hacktorium!

Maker of hand-made pinball mods since 2008!

Pinball.Customs
MAACA Super Contributor

R.A.B. wrote: Thank you to Brock, Wayne, G-Man and all the controversial minds that make me rethink my ideas and sharpen my words.
Happy to keep you on your toes, Rob. :D

I will say this "controversial mind" is far less dark-clouded thanks to some advice you gave me, so thanks for that. :)

Pinball.Customs
MAACA Super Contributor

I'd like to say thanks to RAB for offering to help me out in a tight pinch a week or so ago. Regretfully the deal never panned out, but I do appreciate that he was there to offer assistance.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

A huge thanks goes out to Robert for playing host to a couple of crazy Ontario boys on another mission from Gahd.
Scott and I greatly appreciate your warm hospitality and good company this last weekend. I know we both enjoyed ourselves immensely and it was a welcome break from the daily grind. Thanks also to Justin for Saturday night's entertainment, as well as Adam for providing some excellent friendly competition throughout the weekend.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure to hang out with Robert at his Montreal Pinball HQ, here are some great pics captured over the last couple of days.
20141115_155331.jpg
20141114_211909.jpg

Of course, no Warlock trip to Montreal is complete without an impressive number of machines moving back and forth across ON/QC. I believe we had about 15 machines in the cube van at one point; I'm sure Scott will confirm.

We had a great time stopping in briefly with Williamsfan and FiftyQuid, as well as some quick hit & runs with a few others. Meeting Hippochrome, Marcus, Alan and others was another happy byproduct of our labours. And lastly, no trip to Montreal can be complete without a quick stop at Sparky's. His good humour and warm family are always a pleasure, however brief our encounter.

Waking up on Sunday morning and looking accross the river to a snow-covered view of Westmount was an omen that our pin-hauling activities needed to come to a halt for this year... or at least slow down :D.
It's now time to hunker down for Winter and enjoy the holidays, a few great projects and take stock of 2014.

Thank you all!
Adriano
Last edited by Drano on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Very well said sir.
Thank you to all.

websherpa
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by websherpa »

Thank you to all of MAACA for helping make my pinball journey as full and complete as my slot machine journey. I only hope I have been able to give back a little over the years since I have gained so much.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Thanks to all who made this last big journey of the season a great event.
In addition to a thanks to all for your friendship and hospitality...

Thanks to the Ottawa crew.
Williams Fan, Pinhead, Hippochrome, Fifty Quid, Ethous, Craig

Thanks to the Montreal crew.
R.A.B., JTE, pinball87, mbudman, Gerry, Stephane, Sparky and Starburst.

Thanks to all the guys in this GTA place from Whitby to Mississauga.
Thanks to Alf and Jason in Whitby. (Syd will be very happy)
Thanks to Aerostarz (Sean) Informer. (for filling in the blanks)
Thanks to Drano (Adriano) Navigator.
Thanks to Meegis (Josh) Warehouser.
Thanks to Superjackpot (Barry) Influencer.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Thank you Warlock for being such a dynamo.

You insipre me, and very few people do.

Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Thank you. I try, (or rather) I just do.
Yoda says "Do or Do not; There is no Try".

Someone (you) recently said...
"Imagination" is key to a fuller life.
Drano has been the epitome of "Action" these past few years.
I try to "Inspire" and there are many around me who do the same.

Imagination - Inspiration - Action

It seems to me that between us, we figured out a few things lately.
Now we are cooking with gas...

Roudy000
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Roudy000 »

Thank you everyone for this place where I feel calm and passionate!

P.S Still alive don't worry and playing a lot ;) My share custody case is ending soon and been stressed like never before in my life. Wish me luck for December 9.

Again thank you to all for beeing who you are.
Pinball : PINBOT and love it!!
DE Time Machine

Pinball wanted someday ;) :
STTNG
X-Men
Tron
Diner
Jurassic Park

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

Big thanks to Kevin aka FourEyes. STTNG was well beyond my capabilities. Kevin spent a good 4 hours getting everything ironed out and it plays like a champ. He then took a look at Shadow and fix a few issues on that one as well.

Basement looks great and having those two working has been a huge relief especially with folks coming for visits over the holidays. Thanks a ton Kevin!

Cheers,
Duane
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

I wrote a long part 1 chapter in Tales and it turned into a thank-you.
http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3& ... &start=550
A few people I need to thank as good friends and "advisors" in this journey require acknowlegement.

Thanks to Kathleen (My wife) for knowing her good friend Walt, and saying "no" to a cottage. Pins!
Thanks to Walt (Brewmanager) for making me be a part of, and having me interact with this fine group.
Thanks to Ian (Sparky) for knowing when we needed to save something, and when to let some things go.
Thanks to Menace and monkeybug (whose advice is always sound, and heard) even though I stray from the path.
Thanks to Wong for enabling me as one of the very first, and getting me "into" more and more adventures. I blame Wong.
Thanks to Drano for being my sponsor, for without whom, neither of us could fall off the wagon quite so damn often.
Thanks To R.A.B. for making me aware of the history of this hobby, and for making me think and speak about it.
Thanks to Jason (Williams Fan) for friendship + letting me know that I "always was paying retail" for pins.
Thanks to ME (Medvet) for letting me know that I was on the right path and knew the "good guys".

Thanks to the London, Ottawa, Peterborough, Durham, KW (Tri-County), GTA, Montreal and Gatineau crews who are always so welcoming.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Big thanks going out to Jason for assisting me with a real nice game near him in Ottawa!

Honey Badger
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Honey Badger »

Drano wrote:Big thanks going out to Jason for assisting me with a real nice game near him in Ottawa!
Glad I could be of assistance Sir!
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Congrats to Cait on Target Alpha. Thank you for the trade and your patience.
Thank you to a friend of a friend for a woodrail in Ottawa. She will be restored.
Thanks to Sparky as usual, for getting me into "trouble" and out of it regularly.

Thanks to Drano, and Sylvain for suggestions to help CJBob with his new BOPP.

Thanks To Murrsky and Williams Fan for your regular efforts in moving pins around.
Thanks to Tinyrodent for your patience for a pickup of a pin bought long, long ago.