The THANKS-giving thread

Talk about anything that you would like.
spiroagnew
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Re: The THANKS-giving thread

Post by spiroagnew »

Thanks-Giving back to Allentown... Thanks to Cooke, Menace and Drano for advice on pricing; my game ended up fetching more than I was hoping to get thanks to them. Thanks to Cooke for making the intro to the eventual buyer. Thanks to High Speed Tom for play testing the game a mere half-hour before the sale to identify and help diagnose a lazy left flipper (which was quickly corrected with a few minor adjustments).

Another great weekend in Allentown with GTA, London, Ottawa and MTL pinball friends. Already looking forward to next year!
Rob
creditdotpinball.com

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

I want to express something this morning that has been on my mind for the past week or so. It seems that a more intentfull focus on the willingness to feel has become strongly present since I left the scattered intensity of my pinball workshop and all its distractions. I am realizing once again, in a more concrete way that pinball was first and foremost only a distraction, an entertainment object which in my case has led to a career somehow. But away from that, and by being more than present and passionate about this relatively trivial game, I have somehow met so many interesting people. There is a lesson here, maybe not a great edifying message, but a message nonetheless. Seemingly small incidents are often disguised as opportunities, one needs to be focused on what lies beyond seemingly simple events. This is difficult to do in a world of wanton immediate gratification.

So it "hit me" me this morning around 4 AM upon awakening and after a long walk that there are so many more things to know beyond what the majority of us do mechanically and sometimes reluctantly each day to survive, and spending our lives passionately should ultimately give us the freedom we need to express ourselves and maybe permit the ability to teach. It takes courage, focus, presence and an ability to admit failure in order to see things authentically. There are so many people I need to thank for their words and actions that this makes listing them unreasonable. There are things that people have said to me lately that have fired up my imagination, and that is something I was unable to profit from when I was too distracted by a single passion. Intensity is often blinding, but intent is not, it is full of light which is also a challenge to manage.

OK, time for laundry and coffee.

Thank you.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Two months have elapsed now since I left the Pitt street shop. And I am thankful to have lived what took place there and thankful for what is amazingly finally taking place now mainly due to that crazy & extraordinary four year span. Yes, I am thankful, meaning that I can finally say that the Pitt street experience is justified and now totally validated in my mindset.

So it makes sense that I got a phone call from Chnillapoil today. There was no particular reason for the phone call except to ask how things were going. I haven't had a phonecall of this authentic nature since landlines were the only way to talk to someone without actually being there with them in person. We chatted for a bit about what has been going on in our respective lives and came to the conclusion that we have to find a new place to get together like we use to.

Those crazy summer nights have returned, but the place where we use to gather to talk and play is now empty and will not return as such.

So, today, on that occasion I took the opportunity to go and park the car at the old shop and walk around for the first time since I left on May 4th. I took pictures and thought about all the people who helped me leave this place for something more orderly, and I had no desire to scoff, glorify or minimize the memories, good or bad, and this to me is a sure sign of a proper ending. Again, I am thankful for what was done, and what is also done with. Time marches on boys and girls, let us thank the nature of that inevitability as well.
The facelift continues, view from Pitt street.
The facelift continues, view from Pitt street.
Front of building on St.Patrick street
Front of building on St.Patrick street
The window of the old shop on the third floor is still open for some reason. Maybe I left it open for Vladimir to get out, but I doubt that he will need a window.
The window of the old shop on the third floor is still open for some reason. Maybe I left it open for Vladimir to get out, but I doubt that he will need a window.
R.A.B.

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Drano »

It's been a very busy summer so far and work has prevented me from posting very much... or at all :(

Just wanted to catch up a little and send out a big thank you to Sparky and Warlock for helping me get my Bally Strange Science home!

And of course thanks to Moving Pictures too ;)

The 6803 lineup is looking pretty cool!

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

There are "more thanks due" behind the scenes than most people know.
Thank you my friends. You all know who you are. All the very best in 2015.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

We are all; currently what we (just) are.
We sometimes strive; to be more than (ah) that.

The interesting part is to try; watch and then see...
If we can truly become; more than we thought we could be.

Thank you to all of my great friends.
You continue to constantly inspire me.

Much appreciated.
Cheers. Salut.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

a BIG thanks going out to QuarterGrabber for, not only selling me a super nice Grand Lizard, but also dropping it off on his way through town this weekend.

Thanks Ryan!
I still haven't found time or space to set it up (probably won't until the long weekend) but super excited to get it on legs!!!

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

Big thanks to Sylvain. First for tackling by Stargazer and getting it working. Then for fixing the board when it wouldn't serve 5 balls. Then coming over when the game wouldn't boot with the repaired board. Chip went and he had a replacement handly. Worked fine at his place and the issue started at my place. These old games can be finicky. I know how busy he is and really appreciated he came to my place to figure out the boot issue.

Cheers,
Duane
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

hurricane
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by hurricane »

Huge shout out to HPR, Redketchup, Ottogd and Greatwich John.

A while back a few of us embarked on a b/g repro project and it took a lot of effort and time from all these folks to make it happen. Turns out that yesterday I received a delivery with the end result - an absolutely stunning Lightning glass. Can't thank you all enough for making this happen.

And a shameless plug for John: if you're considering replacing a classic Stern b/g, check out his website http://www.greatpinball.com/products.html and have a scroll down this thread on another pinsite that shall remain nameless....https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... ld/page/15. His glasses are really nice.

Good show gents.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Been a while since my last confession...

Thanks to Spiroagnew for making sure I had first shot at a grail pin. Much appreciated my friend. I am not buying much these days...
I very much appreciate the assistance of my friends when they know something comes up that has that "feeling" that it was meant for me.

Thank you Wong for continuing to do what you always do for all of us; including myself. You know me well enough to push when you should.

Thank you to Brewmanager for assisting at "silly" times when we know that it just "has" to be done even though "inconvenient" for both of us.

Thank you to all my friends; new and old, who continue to remind me that this is the most fantastic hobby and "break" from all else that I do...

Cheers.
Salut.

Thank you all for all the posts, emails, PM's and private texts from everyone who keeps us all in the loop for what is going online and off. Communication...
The cornerstone to understanding and reciprocation. Excelsior.

rccanuck
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by rccanuck »

Thanks To Sylvain for all the technical help which was hugely appreciated over the time. Totally amazes me how much he knows his stuff.
Rob, Sparky, Warlock (get some sleep), Gmaranda for all the assistance you've given me.
Rob again....because if I dont thank him twice...he'll screw up my next order.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

rccanuck wrote:Thanks To Sylvain for all the technical help which was hugely appreciated over the time. Totally amazes me how much he knows his stuff.
Rob, Sparky, Warlock (get some sleep), Gmaranda for all the assistance you've given me.
Rob again....because if I dont thank him twice...he'll screw up my next order.

Now that is freakin' funny John. And yes, you may as well thank me twice since we are on the thnanksgiving thread, so can't hurt. ;)

But just one quick question here Johnny boy - are you sure your balls are 3/4 in diameter, or is that a best guess estimate thing ? :lol: Ofcourse I am referring to that that pin you call Rocket in your repair thread title, but which is actually a 1933 Blue Ribbon. :? WTF

On a serious note :

Thanks for coming back to the forum Johnny, in my opinion this place sorely needs a shot of salvation.

Allelluia
Last edited by R.A.B. on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Chnillapoil wrote:I'd like to thank RAB as well for a recent service he gave me and for giving me some other contacts that keeps me active in the hobby.
We both changed a lot of things in our lives recently but I think that it didn't change anything in our friendship since then.

Thanks again Rob.
Merci d'être si calme et respecteux Alain, même quand je suis surmener et un peu cave.

Ca c'est un signe certain d'un bon chum, - la comprehension, l'entreaide et surtout l'entente.

Robert

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Thanks to Alex in BC. I am sure you will be thrilled with your new pin, she is an absolute beauty.
Thanks to Adam @ Starburst for your assistance; and again thanks to Wong for making me move forward.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Some thanks are long overdue here.

Thank you to Brewmanager, Spirowagnew, Tim Sanderson and Che for the assist in the "project empty" both my storage units.
Thank you again for also helping get 16 pins on legs and 8 vids rolled into place with 8 more more pins on deck to setup on Day #1.

Thank you to Tim Sanderson and Spiroagnew for picking up 2 pins for me whilst my injuries heal. Much appreciated gents.
Thanks to the gang of 6 who went to the shop Saturday to give the pins a bit of a shakedown. Sorry I couldn't join you.

Thanks to all my friends who help with parts and pieces and pins. You know who you are. All the very best.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Indeed! I have been negligent in my handing out of "props" of late :D

Not sure if it was already covered elsewhere, but a BIG thank you to Rob (spiro...) for his help in getting my Joker Poker project completed. Fastest playfield swap ever! The CPR is a dream and the freshly painted cab is sexy!!!

Ted...I know you're out there :)
Thanks for the tip on the Fireball II project. Fathom is well underway as a result.

Last, but certainly not least, a HUGE thank you to Claude for all of his help in acquiring and temporarily storing a very nice Evel Knievel from the Quebec City area.
As many of you know it can be challenging to do deals across provinces, especially when language and distance both play a factor.
I don't think this seller would have given me the time of day given that I could not communicate with him very well and I also wanted to have the game shipped.
Claude was just blocks from where the game was located and he even knew the seller. He graciously stepped in and acted as middle man to smooth everything over and eventually even put me in touch with some transport!

Also, much thanks to Gino and Alain for their enthusiasm and offers of help and information on my latest dumb project, Fathom :)

And, lastly, a soft shout out to Ian... who's presence (albeit quiet) is still felt!

Thanks boys for all the support and camaraderie!

Adriano

ShootAgain
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by ShootAgain »

A big Thanks to Pindude152 for bringing my Volley back to life. I love this pin!
Now the machine works like a charm.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I am truly amazed by your em skills. It was nice to meet you J-F.
It's only Pinball! Carry on, BUCKO!

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Rob, you will find that this Volley is a keeper and a time traveling machine as well. And since I am sure that Pindude took extra care to keep everything looking and playing as it did in the late 70's.

Beautiful work, and we should be thankful that some people still understand what these machines can bring us back to. Playing is fun, and some memories are extraordinary, it is amazing what these objects can bring back to our spirits.

The other Rob

Pindude152
MAACA Super Contributor
Location: Sector zz9 plural z alpha, Sol, Earth, Canada, Quebec, Gatineau
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Pindude152 »

Thank You Robert (ShootAgain) for the opportunity to meet another pinball fan and work my repair skills.
Wanted: Bally 20 hole Bingo machine: Orient, London, Safari, Super 7, Bonus 7 or Hawaii.
Bally: Mad World
Williams: Pot 'O' gold, Beat the clock
Rally Play Company of Nice France: Any Flip Tronic(s) era machine produced between 1966 and 1969

"It's heavy. What is it? ... The, uh, stuff dreams are made of"
-The Maltese Falcon

"Every ball for me's another game.For you this always looks the same [...]
I know for you this doesn't look a lot. For me this is the only thing I got"
-Yello - Pinball Cha Cha

"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life"
-Homer Simpson

Check out my blog at http://pindude152.blogspot.ca/ for quality content about electromechanical amusement
http://www.pinballowners.com/pindude152

Too far gone... beyond time, space and pinball stages

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Yay! One more Volley in service is always a good thing.
A great game that is often overlooked due to its theme.
It has earned tenure in my lineup.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Tried it on the weekend at Rob's. Very decent machine. PF was near perfect!

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

R.A.B. wrote:Rob, you will find that this Volley is a keeper and a time traveling machine as well. And since I am sure that Pindude took extra care to keep everything looking and playing as it did in the late 70's.

Beautiful work, and we should be thankful that some people still understand what these machines can bring us back to. Playing is fun, and some memories are extraordinary, it is amazing what these objects can bring back to our spirits.

The other Rob
+1

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Pindude152 wrote:Thank You Robert (ShootAgain) for the opportunity to meet another pinball fan and work my repair skills.
Well done sir!

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Drano wrote:Yay! One more Volley in service is always a good thing.
A great game that is often overlooked due to its theme.
It has earned tenure in my lineup.
Here here!
As we have said before..
The "new" Volley; is still Volley...
Congrats Rob! And; enjoy her my friend.

Thanks to Drano and Justin for making me realize this a long time ago.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

In a world growing daily in the amount of electronic noise it transmits, and the larger and larger choir that participates in the chants written by madmen, there are people whose concrete actions have somehow resisted becoming part of those drunken songs of want & woe. It reassures me somehow.

I want to thank a few of them here for their help and time during the weekly Monday night line up check and repair at the North Star Machines à Piastres.

Tis a sort of social service we perform during these Monday night repair sessions, a sort of small effort in getting people to play something heavy and real that you can control to a certain point and remains a stand alone device that is not connected to a grid. A very real one on one interaction that focuses you on a single random and wild silver ball, and it is good to focus on one single thing in these times. A sort of pinball meditation thing which helps to forget your troubles for a while.

So a heartfelt thank you to :

Big Dave
James Schid
Pindude152

We spent a wonderful and real four hours free of distractions and learned lots of new stuff about pinball repair and maintenance that I for one will remember for a long, long time.

Thank you boys,

Rob