Dr.NO and the STERN 'sisters'

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Dr.NO and the STERN 'sisters'

Post by HPR Pinball »

Another pinballer made a conversion to Star Gazer similar to Redketchup, impressive !
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... st-3419680
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

superJackpot
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by superJackpot »

Drano wrote:Peeled the frisket... laid down some clear to seal the acrylics.
Pretty happy so far.

Looking awesome! Great work as always.

I bet the anticipation then the reward as you peel the frisket back feels so good.
Looking forward to the final product... and coming over to see this in person sometime.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Drano »

shane wrote:Wow, just wow. nice work.

Lineup looks great already! meteor,stargazer and 8bd? sweeeeeeetness!
Thanks! I got bit by the classic Stern/Bally bug pretty hard.
That entire wall will be dedicated to them. Next to 8ball is Centaur and, after Quicksilver and Seawitch are done, there's still my Fathom project and a Bally Frontier waiting for me to make some space.

superJackpot wrote:
Drano wrote:Peeled the frisket... laid down some clear to seal the acrylics.
Pretty happy so far.

Looking awesome! Great work as always.

I bet the anticipation then the reward as you peel the frisket back feels so good.
Looking forward to the final product... and coming over to see this in person sometime.

Definitely! After a couple of days of trimming frisket, peeling it back is almost like Christmas.

I know it's a trek, but the door is always open! :D

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

25 days remaining

I'm a firm believer in working smart vs. working hard.
So, to apply new black key-lines to my Quicksilver playfield inserts, I decided to measure and cut some vinyl stencils that I could easily apply and use to create almost factory looking results.
We have equipment to do this at work so it's easy for me. However, if you do a lot of this type of work, there are home solutions that can do this in the neighborhood of $250 I think.

The trick to applying these is to light the insert from the back so you can see exactly where to lay these down.
Once applied I just used a black MOLOTOW paint pen which dries in a couple of minutes. Then peel it up carefully with an Xacto knife and voila!

Here are a few process shots. Don't worry about the splotchy areas on the green paint. I was doing this on freshly sanded clearcoat so wherever I touched or rubbed, it got shiny. Also, the sanded blacks are grey. Once I clear this again, all the colours will look 'wet' and blend again.

20161203_003111.jpg
20161203_010748.jpg
20161203_014914.jpg
20161203_020712.jpg
20161203_021125.jpg
20161203_144835.jpg

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG

Post by HPR Pinball »

Nice process !! Thanks for sharing

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Thanks guys.
It's a fun process for sure.

Can't wait for my rub-on text to show up!!

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

21 days remaining

Well, 3 weeks left in 2016.
I guess I'll post some updates every few days as I make the last final push.
I'm hoping that my new rub-on transfers for Quicksilver arrive soon. If they don't, I will have a hard time getting the clearcoating finished before the holidays :x

While I'm waiting around I applied a new coat of clear just to lock in the new black outlines and to even out all the colours. I also took this opportunity to clean up the saucer hole and freshen it up with some paint. Hopefully it still looks like real wood.

After a few more days I sanded it down one more time... but this is where I have to stop. Now it's a waiting game for the text decals to arrive.
In the meantime I've been working on a bunch of other playfields that have been waiting for completion in my shop.

20161207_125504.jpg
20161207_125432.jpg
20161208_232819.jpg
20161209_001852.jpg

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by redketchup »

Critism question :FP:

Why not retouch the white section? when I did my playfeild, i just pass a brush over the white with and antique white, just to make it more equal and remove the burn spot...
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

redketchup wrote:Critism question :FP:

Why not retouch the white section? when I did my playfeild, i just pass a brush over the white with and antique white, just to make it more equal and remove the burn spot...
The only reason is because Stern screened little diagrams in all the white sections showing the rubber ring sizing. I didn't want to cover it up. I know you don't see them, but I'm funny that way ;)

I know I could just probably get them back in as a waterside decal, but that's getting a little obsessive.

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by redketchup »

This what a i do... I used a very light coat of paint and I take a toothpics to remove the paint over the screening...
Attachments
IMG_7799.JPG
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Nice! Looks brand new!

For any other playfield I would normally do this... but I wasn't that bothered with the existing cream colour. It was in pretty good shape. All I did was use a little bit of matching paint to hide things like post damage. It had no real lamp burn. I suppose the toothpick idea would've worked well enough though; maybe next time ;)
I Still have to do Seawitch... maybe for that one, but I am getting a bit tired of playfield work. I've just done about 5 in a row and still have about 2 or 3 more to do. I will probably save myself some work and leave the parts on the backside of Seawitch like you did for that Catacomb.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

9 days remaining

OMG! 9 days :FP:
I am living proof that this hobby can really kick your ass. I have to apologize for the sheer audacity of even trying to get all 3 of these machines done in the timeframe I set out.
It "seemed" reasonable at the time :lol:

Anyway, I guess I can always start running the clock backwards after Jan. 1st and we can see how inept I truly am.

That being said, I finally got shipping notification for my quicksilver rub on transfer decals (for the text) so I am expecting them here today or tomorrow.
During all this waiting I figured I would get back to Seawitch. I managed to do a pretty good cleanup of the playfield. Sadly, there is a lot of damage and flaking paint. This restore will probably take a lot of blood sweat and tears before it looks anywhere close to nice. Below are a few before and after shots using some melamine foam and a combination of Westley's Bleche White and then some CP100. The Bleche White has water so it's not ideal for playfields, but it does such a great job of breaking down dirt that I used just a little bit on the magic eraser.
I alternated between the two products about 4 times to get these results. Much better than alcohol I think.
Then naphtha for the final clean.

Also today, I finally brought the Seawitch cab, as well as my Holy Pinball Batman cab into the shop. Since the week between Christmas and New Year is notoriously slow at work, I plan to get some foundation work on both cabinets so I can get painting in January.

20161216_221653.jpg
20161216_230704.jpg
20161217_220226.jpg

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

6 days remaining

It's Christmas eve so here's a little update.
On Thursday my decals for Quicksilver showed up. For anyone curious where to get these, google Reprographix.
Exploring this new process came at a bit of cost unfortunately. At first I only focused on printing the letters that were damaged and trying to get a perfect colour match using photos to measure the RGB. The results were mixed and I new that the new letters would never match the old. So, instead scanned the remainder of the text on the entire playfield and managed to squeeze it all into an 8.5x11 sheet (Reprographix sent me a little extra so I have about 50% duplication which is nice). Also, on this 2nd round I used PMS book to select my colour right off the playfield.
I should've done all this the first time around... especially given the cost of these custom made sheets.

Here's a sample of the application process. You can see the original text which has been partially airbrushed over in green to eliminate the ball track around the top arch.
The results were well beyond my expectations.

20161224_161604.jpg

The first clearcoat was done carefully and lightly. The clear tends to pool around the text so I will have to be very careful when sanding this layer. Then I can apply about 2 more to get it perfectly smooth and Covered. You can already see how the final product will look in these image.

20161223_131037.jpg
20161224_113148.jpg
+BEFORE+AFTER+.jpg
Very happy overall!

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG

Post by HPR Pinball »

Look great ! Another Quicksilver on the road again :-)

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Thanks guys. These stern playfields with so much text can be a challenge. Happy to have found a good approach.

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by redketchup »

Look awesome!

is it expensive... do you make it locale, or somewhere else... i would like to have more information please...

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

redketchup wrote:Look awesome!

is it expensive... do you make it locale, or somewhere else... i would like to have more information please...
Yes, very expensive for a custom made sheet unfortunately. Approximately $150 shipped.
You order online at Reprographix and they get produced at the closest office. These came from Quebec.

I inquired about volume orders and the price does get better, but only if you order a LOT of them. Even then you're still looking at $80+ per sheet and the QS restoration market out there is super small.

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by redketchup »

Thank's for the information... i will keep it in mind... expensive, but a good option when there is small texte to reproduced...

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

redketchup wrote:Thank's for the information... i will keep it in mind... expensive, but a good option when there is small texte to reproduced...
I will probably be doing it again for Sea Witch. I can probably get away with using waterslide decals for this game since most of the text is not white... but this method turned out so well that I think it's worth the extra cost.
Also, for seawitch there are about 3 different colours of text. I mostly need the red and green.
Reprographix offers the option to split your sheet between two different colours... so that's a big help!

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

So, I sort of abandoned this poor thread many months ago and took my foot off the gas once I realized that I had no hope of hitting my New Years target for the 'Stern Sisters' :(

However, nothing is ever truly forgotten and those unrestored machines have a funny way of clogging up the workshop until, finally, after much procrastination and being set aside for other tasks, they eventually do get done.

I spent a good portion of the year on other machines. I am admittedly a bit spastic in my approach to projects. My Cactus Canyon has been on a rotiserrie for 3+ years!

These last few months I have, however, managed to clean up a few other classic Stern usch as Ali and my Nine Ball.
Now my attention has turned back onto Seawitch and Quicksilver.
Star Gazer has been lonely in the game room without her sisters. So, here are a few little snippets and updates as I continue to get the seawitch playfield restored and the cabinets done.

With any luck, I'l be able to hit New Years (2018) :FP:

20170830_004851.jpg
20171008_125212.jpg
20171009_230323.jpg
20161224_113148.jpg

Quicksilver isn't getting a full repaint, just a cleanup. But, the playfield is now well cured and ready for the swap. I've been making some room recently and both machines are long overdue for a trip down into the game-room.

At first it was hard to paint the seawitch cabinet not as it appeared, but as it originally was. Most of the time we are used to seeing the light blue look more green, but this is an effect of yellowing and age. Looking under the coin door, it was clear that the colous I used are much closer to what originally came from factory. I'm sure I'll get used to it ;)

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by redketchup »

Looking good... keep the pics coming... I alway like to see your work!

Nice KD-200 in the corner! I just get my VL-200 from my father back to my house... i just need to dissasembled it to move it in the basement
Attachments
IMG_5966_4_1.JPG

DrDude
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by DrDude »

Drano wrote:At first it was hard to paint the seawitch cabinet not as it appeared, but as it originally was. Most of the time we are used to seeing the light blue look more green, but this is an effect of yellowing and age. Looking under the coin door, it was clear that the colous I used are much closer to what originally came from factory. I'm sure I'll get used to it ;)
I must say that I really like the look of the "real" blue on the Seawitch cabinet. Excellent work! I'm bringing mine out of Uncleboo's basement into my work (just started a new job, and they have no issue with a pinball in the break-room), so I look forward to playing it more often, and defeating Uncleboo's high-score!
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re:

Post by Drano »

redketchup wrote:Looking good... keep the pics coming... I alway like to see your work!

Nice KD-200 in the corner! I just get my VL-200 from my father back to my house... i just need to dissasembled it to move it in the basement
Wow! Very nice!

I have just recently had all the electronics on the KD redone and I will be restoring the wooden side panels with some real 3M Dinoc wood material soon. Someone has painted this one.
Here is a photo I took at the seller's place when I first got it.
I also grabbed a Model G (100G) at the same time and it needs some work, but the KD plays great! I would love to find a Stereo model like the 222, but they are harder to find and usually too expensive :(
IMG_20170421_224611_778.jpg

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

DrDude wrote:
Drano wrote:At first it was hard to paint the seawitch cabinet not as it appeared, but as it originally was. Most of the time we are used to seeing the light blue look more green, but this is an effect of yellowing and age. Looking under the coin door, it was clear that the colous I used are much closer to what originally came from factory. I'm sure I'll get used to it ;)
I must say that I really like the look of the "real" blue on the Seawitch cabinet. Excellent work! I'm bringing mine out of Uncleboo's basement into my work (just started a new job, and they have no issue with a pinball in the break-room), so I look forward to playing it more often, and defeating Uncleboo's high-score!

Also, just to illustrate my point about the colour variation.
Here's a look at the QS head before and after a good soak with some Bleche-Wite
20171009_200511.jpg