Broken Road Show

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Broken Road Show

Post by cap »

I bought a Road Show pinball that would not boot.
After I got home, I changed the dead batteries and the game booted.
I can start a game but it crashes pretty quickly.

Turns out the game crashes when you press the left flipper button.

There was a time when the machine booted and it complained
about the middle left flipper EOS switch. (The game has 3 left flippers)
The game discarded that signal and I could play a full game.
I got to multiball and experienced that cool shaker. What a blast.

I rebooted and without the error message, it crashes again immediately. :(

I tested the two diodes on that flipper and they are both shorted.
I don't have diodes in stock. I will need to buy some to fix this.
Do you think this would cause my symptoms or there are more problems lurking?

There are other small things, but this is the show stopper for now.
Last edited by cap on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Assphalt
MAACA New Contributor

Re: Borken Road Show

Post by Assphalt »

Since you stole this machine from my son ( his first purchase ever) and laughed about it in another thread! Happy to see your having trouble!!!

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: Broken Road Show

Post by cap »

Assphalt wrote:Il m'a dit, qui t'avait dit que c'etais vendu mais que tu a offert plus que le prix demandé !!!! Alors je sais pas de quoi tu parle, de tes surencheres mais bon... c'est pas comme si mon fils avait passé des années a ramasser son argent, fait ses recherches et trouver ce qu'il voulait...
Je trouve ca pas drole du tout moi non plus.
Tu devrais comprendre que s'il t'a menti, il m'a menti a moi aussi.
Regarde juste l'annonce. C'est impossible que cette machine la marchait quand ils ont poste l'annonce.
Oui, j'ai offert plus que le prix demande parce que son prix etait trop bas et qu'il se faisait fourrer.
J'ai fait ca par courriel, comment veux-tu que je sache si la machine etait vendue ou le prix que tu avais offert?
Au telephone j'ai demande 5 fois si la machine etait vendue parce que je ne veux pas fourrer les acheteurs non plus.
Il m'a dit qu'un gars de Quebec avait appele mais qu'il voulait qu'on lui livre la machine et que la vente avait fouare a cause de ca.
J'ai jamais change mon prix a la negotiation. C'est le vendeur qui t'a fourre.
Last edited by cap on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

YellowMustard
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by YellowMustard »

Pins:SpaceStation, :FP: :FP: :FP:

gone but not forgotten: EFTLW, Secret Service, Gorgar, Elektra, Medusa, CENTAUR, FIREPOWER, ANDROMEDA(2), HS II The getaway, BSD(2), THE SHADOW, SPACE SHUTTLE, SM, X-MEN (shakered), GRAND PRIX (Italian reimport), Tales From The crypt, BSD(2), Nitro Ground Shaker, Harlem Globetrotters, INDY500, THE SHADOW (2), Twilightzone, RESCUE 911, Stern Playboy, BOP, Roadshow, highspeed, DrWho, Starwars DE

Vids: Outrun2 SP twin, mini outrun upright,mini monaco gP, MAME Xbox powered
Gone: MAME in NBA cab (sold)

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Assphalt wrote:Since you stole this machine from my son ( his first purchase ever) and laughed about it in another thread! Happy to see your having trouble!!!
Wait, did he literally steal this from your son, or did a seller just sell to cap and not to your son?
Those are very different things.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Assphalt
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Assphalt »

My son had reserved it and we were going to get it for the price the seller was asking but Cap gave him more than what he was asking...
No issue... just a father venting on a deal gone sour thanks to a fellow pinballer... Lesson learned on my part, but hard to see your kid get screwed over, he did not deserve that (a 2.5 hour drive of anticipation and 2.5 hour drive trying to console him)!

anyways... last you will hear of this issue from me!!!

pharoah007

Post by pharoah007 »

Assphalt wrote:My son had reserved it and we were going to get it for the price the seller was asking but Cap gave him more than what he was asking...
No issue... just a father venting on a deal gone sour thanks to a fellow pinballer... Lesson learned on my part, but hard to see your kid get screwed over, he did not deserve that (a 2.5 hour drive of anticipation and 2.5 hour drive trying to console him)!

anyways... last you will hear of this issue from me!!!
Beware of sharks and pirates in this hobby. The waters are infested.

Splitskull
Admins
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Splitskull »

YellowMustard wrote:Image

:FP:

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Toeckeder »

Pins: HIGH SPEED, GUNS N ROSES, FIREPOWER, SORCERER, LASER WAR, FATHOM, NOW, BLACKOUT, ALIEN POKER, LASER BALL, TOMMY, FIREPOWER II, BALLY PLAYBOY, RUSH LE, RIVERBOAT GAMBLER
WTB: NO Vacancy
Vid: MAME #1, TEMPEST, NUCLEUS CANNON, MAME #2, NAMCO Reunion Class of '81
Gone: Punch-Out!!, TARGET ALPHA, STARGATE, SPIRIT OF 76, ROLLERGAMES, TAXI, TOMMY, EARTHSHAKER, BACK TO THE FUTURE, TWILIGHT ZONE, TX SECTOR, CENTAUR, AC/DC PRO, ROLLERGAMES, WHIRLWIND, TIME MACHINE, GALAGA, GRAND LIZARD, TORPEDO ALLEY, F-14 TOMCAT, BLACKOUT, ALGAR, FIREPOWER II, ABRACADABRA, EIGHT BALL DELUXE LE

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

cap wrote:Do you think this would cause my symptoms or there are more problems lurking?
To answer my own question, yes and yes.
I disconnected the middle left flipper, the one with the shorted diodes and the machine still crashed.
I disconnected the top left flipper and the machine now works perfectly except for these two flippers.
I did not diagnose the top flipper. At this point, I don't give a fuck.

Splitskull
Admins

Post by Splitskull »

cap wrote:
cap wrote:Do you think this would cause my symptoms or there are more problems lurking?
I disconnected the middle left flipper, the one with the shorted diodes and the machine still crashed.
I disconnected the top left flipper and the machine now works perfectly except for these two flippers.
So without those two flippers, the pin works perfect? That is good!

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Splitskull wrote:So without those two flippers, the pin works perfect? That is good!
Yes. I tried changing the diodes but I'm a retard with a soldering iron and it did not work.
Later I realized I did not check the coils. Maybe that's my only mistake.
Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm not doing any more repairs on this pin.
It works enough for my daughter's 20 years old party on Saturday and that's all that counts.

Splitskull
Admins

Post by Splitskull »

make sure u put the band on the diodes (also the right diodes type), like the other (working) flipper. Should be easy enough.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Splitskull wrote:make sure u put the band on the diodes (also the right diodes type), like the other (working) flipper. Should be easy enough.
I put them the way they were, but you are right, maybe a previous repair put them backwards, who knows?
It's still unlikely since the soldering looked original. Not anymore with my retard soldering skills.

FX
MAACA New Contributor

Post by FX »

cap wrote:

Hello Cap !!

You know what... For me its kinda weird to say but the troubleshooting of a pinball machine is part of the fun. Fixing something like a pinball
feel great to me, Of course i love to play on a perfectly tuned machine also !!

Anyway when you say diodes are shorted have you tested them on both side ? I guess you know diodes let pass current on one side and block on the
other,,, so when you say shorted i guess the current can pass in the wrong way ? Im not sure but since your pin crash when using that flipper it is
very possible that a new diode fix this. I have lots of diodes in my electronic lab. Do you have a DMM ?

Also i found out this site : http://www.aaarpinball.com/RoadShow/RoadShow.htm

in this document it says : @While investigating this most recent series of resets, I found that one of the diodes on the bottom left flipper had broken off. This is a well known cause for resets, so I was happy to have found it. I replaced the diode and play tested it for a while. Unfortunately, I eventually got another reset. I checked many typical causes, but found nothing wrong. Then I looked at the WPC-S voltage jumper.@

Maybe if you want i could go to your places with some diodes and stuff. It would be a pleasure for me if i can help you fix this one great pin!

Have a nice day
My first Pinball: Lady Luck 1986
Get Lucky !