Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Homepin Thunderbirds playfield

Post by Azatotht »

Still not final...
22042327_1483989155010422_5878514434273937764_o.jpg
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Homepin Thunderbirds playfield

Post by Dave W. »

Would be nice to see a small start up company get the game developed and out to market.
Sadly, many of them run into issues somewhere along the line and it doesn't happen.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

This playfield is awesome. I can't wait to see it action. The only thing weird is satan burning in hell on the right. How come he is so much bigger than the other characters?
Dave W. wrote:Would be nice to see a small start up company get the game developed and out to market.
Sadly, many of them run into issues somewhere along the line and it doesn't happen.
Oh, but this company barely made it after the death of the founder's wife. She was a company owner too and her assets were frozen for a long time.
What saved the company was their other business of repro games and boards, with the help of distributors intentionally loading up on inventory,
as well as the low cost to do business in China.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Dave W. wrote:Would be nice to see a small start up company get the game developed and out to market.
My mind reels at the logistics for starting a company like that, but still rooting for them.

Is that right wireform just flinging the ball in to the left slings?
The ship toy in the upper right seems cool with it's extra wide ramp beneath it.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

cap wrote:Oh, but this company barely made it after the death of the founder's wife. She was a company owner too and her assets were frozen for a long time.
What saved the company was their other business of repro games and boards, with the help of distributors intentionally loading up on inventory,
as well as the low cost to do business in China.
Very true. Their software designer also passed away while in mid-design and they lost everything he was working on.

I'm interested to see how this one does out in the wild. Mike, the owner of the company, is a straight up engineer and everything has been engineered to death. I see there is some controversy over on Pinside now and there are reports that their board design was borrowed from Ben Heck without a 'thanks' or mention too. I am starting to wonder if it's possible to open a pinball company without some sort of bullshit on the side.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Fifty wrote:I see there is some controversy over on Pinside now and there are reports that their board design was borrowed from Ben Heck without a 'thanks' or mention too. I am starting to wonder if it's possible to open a pinball company without some sort of bullshit on the side.
How can you "borrow" a board design without retribution? Was the board in the public domain? Why would a "thank you" be enough?
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Fifty wrote:I see there is some controversy over on Pinside
That's all you ever need to say. :lol:
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

cap wrote:
Fifty wrote:I see there is some controversy over on Pinside now and there are reports that their board design was borrowed from Ben Heck without a 'thanks' or mention too. I am starting to wonder if it's possible to open a pinball company without some sort of bullshit on the side.
How can you "borrow" a board design without retribution? Was the board in the public domain? Why would a "thank you" be enough?
It was put out as open source. The common courtesy is to acknowledge the original designer by saying thank you and mentioning their name but despite the evidence that it was copied, Mike denies it still.