Whacked Out Gameroom Addition

Tell everybody what machines you have and upload pictures.
necro_nemesis
MAACA OG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 29 times

Whacked Out Gameroom Addition

Post by necro_nemesis »

Undeniably if your into pins and vids you like flashy things. Contrary to popular opinion I haven't been totally asleep at the wheel. For one of my projects I decided I wanted to amp up the volume on the gameroom flash and use some of my largely useless acquired hobby tech knowledge to build something flashy. What we have here is a result of cheap Chineseium components, Arduino programming, an IKEA shelf and 3d printing. I posted the project on Thingiverse although for all the people who have downloaded the project I have yet to have anyone insane enough to build one and post their results. It auto adjust to ambient sound levels and just does it's thing.

Project posted here as well as some other near useless shit I've designed: :D

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2525742
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

tiger_31
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Whacked Out Gameroom Addition

Post by tiger_31 »

NIce work !!!! I love it
My pin : Taxi , Dungeon & dragons , (EM) Top Score , big show et Bali ( bingo )

Vids : , Mame 12 000 games , Mega touch , Super chexx hockey Canadiens VS Nordique

* and yes , pinball is a desease

Mindstorm88
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Mindstorm88 »

Wowww Very nice project !!!

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

Fantastic. That's a very nice job.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

If anyone can think of something that's a universally sought after unobtainium plastic pinball related part that would stand up 3d printed I would be willing to take a stab at designing it for the community. It seems pinball part designs are pretty limited for what's out there from my research. It could be something as simple as part of a coin mech or a grommet, mount or whatever. There's limitations to 3d printing and strength of materials is always a consideration if you want to bash a ball off it but it has it's applications. I work primarily in Autodesk 123d but export to an .sti file which can be run through a slicer and printed. I figure the community would be able to assess the demand for something we can't get and need. I suspect there's people out there in the community that can print this stuff if they have the files to do it from. Most likely I will have to have an original in hand for awhile to take measurements from but it gives us options.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

I believe the black rose cannon plastic is unobtainium
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control ... ose+cannon

There was a guy in australia that sold a 3D-printed reproduction of the Black Rose cannon back in Aug 2017, but he does not have any for sale now.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... ght-wanted
I wonder why he gave up.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Malibu SS
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Malibu SS »

very cool!!

trueno92
MAACA New Contributor

Post by trueno92 »

thats awesome, its like a winamp visualizer but in real life!!!

how much did it cost when u were done?

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Maybe it wasn't strong enough or he was threatened with licensing issues. As far as I understand it nothing stops someone from reverse engineering a failed part and reproducing the failed part for themselves as long as no profit is involved in the process. The part failed. It either failed mechanically or it failed to show up when they tried to reassemble it. :) You know it had to be there at some point right? Definitely something I'd need a sample or broken pieces of one to produce a model of. I tried to search the usual places to see if someone posted the design to no avail. Might be ok printed in ABS and it does appear to be something that would print with minimal support material. I think it's safe to run under the premise if the community is involved in reproducing it's own parts on an open source basis and we are making it for ourselves or for someone else to fix a point of failure with no profit involved, that no one would be sniffing around looking for royalties.
Last edited by necro_nemesis on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

trueno92 wrote:thats awesome, its like a winamp visualizer but in real life!!!

how much did it cost when u were done?
All in I'm going to say $200.

I don't know the exact amounts off the top but the Perspex blocks were the most costly part of it. I paid around a hundred for 26 3" x 5" x 3/4" blocks. The leds were pretty cheap WS2812B strips they sell on Ebay. Shelf was around $40? from IKEA. Switches, plastic, Arduino Uno clone, microphone module etc. Maybe $30 there??

The idea of driving the WS2812B's using an Arduino is pretty versatile. Could have an input trigger from a pin trigger various lighting effects based on gameplay. May be used in an interactive topper of something like that. I programmed 4 selectable modes into the bar. The visualizer is one of them using audio input but input could be virtually anything to run a routine, not just sound.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

gotta do my nixie clock now ...
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Mrhide wrote:gotta do my nixie clock now ...
You have a design? I've looked at making one of those but the nice big IN-18 tubes I'd want to use are pricey.

I was more inclined to build one of these.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

yeah the tubes are indeed pricey and the small ones are ... small.

nice clock ... damn
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Unfortunately capitalism took hold in the former Soviet Union and they want good money for these things. They were still producing tubes long after everyone else went solid state and you couldn't give tubes away unless they were select ones for high end audio.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

necro_nemesis wrote:Unfortunately capitalism took hold in the former Soviet Union and they want good money for these things. They were still producing tubes long after everyone else went solid state and you couldn't give tubes away unless they were select ones for high end audio.
I've got a few tube amps at home ;)

tube matched sets are not cheap

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Mrhide wrote:
I've got a few tube amps at home ;)

tube matched sets are not cheap
Me too. In jukeboxes. :lol: Not any of the tubes in them would have ever been considered high end but they get the job done. I guess the one good thing about mono is matching is made twice as easy.