Contemplating Canada PinCon 2018

Talk about anything that you would like.
Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Contemplating Canada PinCon 2018

Post by Chris Silver »

Hey everybody,

Canada PinCon Evolution 2017 was a blast!!! :D

I've been asked lots of questions for the longest time now. I'm considering the concept of doing it again and continuing on that scale (if not bigger) for 2018. We had a lot of support from so many people through all aspects and pulled through so many challenges. I need to clear some thoughts with a couple last key individuals and there's a 95% probability of doing it again. The one thing I request to fulfill my vision is more machines. Those who were there know it wasn't a Mickey Mouse operation.

There will be lots of improvements, prizes and surprises and I'll be modifying the layout as well as our evening entertainment concept. The CNPO - Canadian National Pinball Open would be bigger and better. I'm dropping the band and considering hosting a WFTDA sanctioned women's roller derby in the evening. I want to make sure everybody has a full entertaining action packed diverse weekend. I'll be pushing the hotels for better discounts to relieve the stress of having to head home. We have the ability to do a 3 day weekend allowing contributors to relax at least for a full day without worrying about set up and tear down. It would be nice to operate a convention on an American scale. If you guys prefer 2 days that's fine. I have a vision, but I want your input. I'd be doing it for us. Its far enough away we can make plans to tell the family and prepare to move machines out of the basements. I'd intend to drive hard supporting the Make A Wish Foundation as well.

Canada PinCon _________ 2018. The only thing I can say is if we do it again it will only be better.

https://youtu.be/RzqbaNuVGP0

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
pincon-banner-small.jpg
cnpo-banner-small.jpg
Last edited by Chris Silver on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Re: Contemplating Canada PinCon 2018

Post by Mrhide »

You did an awesome job and everybody here who says "we need a show in montreal we need a show in montreal" THIS IS YOUR CHANCE ... BRING A MACHINE AND BE PART OF IT. It's a really cool feeling to share your machine(s) with others!
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Honey Badger
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Honey Badger »

Damn right I say let’s do it again
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

Murphelman
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Murphelman »

Bought my first two Pinball machines there when I started collecting them again. I now have 10! would gladly donate a game or two for this for sure!
Own
Stern: , Iron Maiden, Godzilla, TMNT., Foo Fighters, Rush, Meteor
Bally/Williams:Dr. Who, Jack*Bot, Demo Man,
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Strange World
Bally: 8 Ball Deluxe
Williams:
JJP: N/A
Wishlist
Baywatch, Starship Troopers, Taxi
:mrgreen:

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

I'm in.
Put my suggestion on PinRev.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Xylog
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Xylog »

I'm in! My machines stand ready.
Can offer transport again this year if needed
Flash Gordon, Genesis, RollerGames, Black Knight 2000,
Atlantis(Bally), Civic Center, Granny & The Gators, Expressway,
Flash Baseball, Time Machine, Badcats
LF: Bigger House

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

PinCon 2017 was one of the best events of the year. Loved seeing the Ottawa and Montreal crews convene at the halfway point.
Looking forward to 2018!
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

geester
MAACA New Contributor

Post by geester »

Had a great time last year, ready to do it again for 2018!
Pins: Fish Tales.

cdnpinballer
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 3 times

Post by cdnpinballer »

Definately pumped for another Pincon!

I personally liked the 2 day saturday/sunday show. The brewery tour bus was great! Hope to see that again next year.

I'm a bit confused about where the roller derby would be held because we used the rink surface for game setup... so not entirely sure on that part.

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

I attended Pincon 2017 and was really just a spectator.
For 2018, I'll happily bring a couple of machines and volunteer in any way that can help... (tournament, setup, basic tech stuff, etc)

Had a great time and totally looking forward to PinCon 2018
Thanks Chris!

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

I'm also super interested. If you announce the dates early, it will be easier for us to reserve the weekend.
I think a 2 day event is fine. I would not attend 3 days in a row for sure.

The evening entertainment is laudable but you need a different venue or you need to shutdown pinball play which might not be popular.
A roller derby match involves even more actors than a band. You need enough spectators to make it worthwhile.
I think the only way to make this work is if the roller derby match stands alone.
It would be on the same day and in a nearby venue. Plan to get a different audience plus a small group of pinballers.
Organizing two independent events for the same week-end is a tall order unless they already have a regular match planned.
In that case, a cross-promotion with discount tickets for the other event would make sense.
Personally I would gladly attend since Roller Derby brings back childhood b&w TV memories, but I'm not sure if my wife would enjoy.
Last edited by cap on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

cdnpinballer wrote:I'm a bit confused about where the roller derby would be held because we used the rink surface for game setup... so not entirely sure on that part.
I checked, this site says: the minimum space required for a regulation track is 98′ x 63′. A typical hockey rink at 200′ x 98′ is considerably bigger, technically allowing enough space to have two tracks.
http://www.pioneervalleyrollerderby.com ... lat-track/
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cdnpinballer
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 3 times

Post by cdnpinballer »

cap wrote: I checked, this site says: the minimum space required for a regulation track is 98′ x 63′. A typical hockey rink at 200′ x 98′ is considerably bigger, technically allowing enough space to have two tracks.
Interesting...

I don't think any evening entertainment is really needed to be honest. Some shows shut down around 9...

I think if the pins are turned on and Beau's bar is pouring people will stay and have a good time until they get booted out.

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

cap wrote:
cdnpinballer wrote:I'm a bit confused about where the roller derby would be held because we used the rink surface for game setup... so not entirely sure on that part.
I checked, this site says: the minimum space required for a regulation track is 98′ x 63′. A typical hockey rink at 200′ x 98′ is considerably bigger, technically allowing enough space to have two tracks.
There are 2 rinks.

There is more than enough room on the Hartley arena's NHL sized rink for the convention and a derby if desired.

Unlike Justin Trudeau's budget, the derby would run itself. :lol:

If a derby was held it would involve teams from Ottawa and Montreal bringing their own people and crowd. Both event's costs would be included at no extra charge.

The derby would run from 7-9 and wouldn't interfere with game operations.

I promise you, I wouldn't offer it up if it wasn't feasible. It's still only a thought.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

I loved it and had a great time this summer. That said, bringing my entire basement was a mistake, and my arcade sat disassembled in my living room for weeks before the OPGS. It took too much out of me. If I did it again it would be one game, not three.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Chris Silver wrote:If a derby was held it would involve teams from Ottawa and Montreal bringing their own people and crowd.
You mean there is a professional roller derby league in Montreal? Cool!
Yep, I found it here http://mtlrollerderby.com/?lang=en
I have to try that when the next season starts.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Chris Silver wrote:There are 2 rinks.

There is more than enough room on the Hartley arena's NHL sized rink for the convention and a derby if desired.

If a derby was held it would involve teams from Ottawa and Montreal bringing their own people and crowd. Both event's costs would be included at no extra charge.

I promise you, I wouldn't offer it up if it wasn't feasible. It's still only a thought.
Yes, this works if they are in two separate rinks.
I'm with cdnpinballer. I think it's a nice bonus but it is not strictly necessary.
We would still go to PinCon if there weren't any night time entertainment.

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

cap wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:There are 2 rinks.

Yes, this works if they are in two separate rinks.
I'm with cdnpinballer. I think it's a nice bonus but it is not strictly necessary.
We would still go to PinCon if there weren't any night time entertainment.
True. Xylog and I brought a couple pins last spring to The Beast Of The East for a cross promotion and had a blast. I have always been a strong supporter of women's roller derby and love it. Incorporating the derby into PinCon would bring a new demographic to our event and increase the general population. It's that much more advertising band locally and abroad.

Like I mentioned it's not solid just a thought.

Cybercid
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Cybercid »

Yes pinball Party!!!! Can't wait! I had a great time last year! thanks to you Chris!!! two days would be fine for me! I will bring one or two game for sure!
Game room:
Bally: Firball II
Williams: Alien Poker, Solar Fire, FIsh Tales,Terminator 2, Eight Ball, Banzai Run, Powerplay.
Data East: [i The Simpsons,[/i]
Gottlieb: Hulk, Litgh Camera Action, Gladiator.
Custom: Pink Floyd The Wall.
Projects: Stargate. /i].

Woody
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Woody »

WoW! Another Pincon...Im in for sure.
For me 2 days would be nice. But, I can arrive on Friday morning to help with the set-up, and of course, i will bring a game.
Can`t wait to see the 95% probability become a 100% :roll:

nostalgiaqc
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by nostalgiaqc »

Im in for sure,
Thx Chris for all the time invested.
Ill bring at least one machine!
Btw i didnt hâte the idea of the band !
Thx
Yan

Vengeance
MAACA OG

Post by Vengeance »

The IFPA world championship is coming to Canada in 2018:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/ifpa15/

I know this ran on the exact same weekend as the World Championship in 2017, but as it was in Denmark last year, not really an issue. Hopefully for 2018 since the World champs will be local, that will be taken into consideration.
Adam B.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Vengeance wrote:The IFPA world championship is coming to Canada in 2018:

I know this ran on the exact same weekend as the World Championship in 2017, but as it was in Denmark last year, not really an issue. Hopefully for 2018 since the World champs will be local, that will be taken into consideration.
In Canada next year???

How do YOU know, Adam???

;)

Vengeance
MAACA OG

Post by Vengeance »

OTTOgd wrote:
Vengeance wrote:The IFPA world championship is coming to Canada in 2018:

In Canada next year???

How do YOU know, Adam???

;)
uhhhh, aside from hosting it, it's cause it says so in the link I provided, lol. :lol:
Adam B.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Vengeance wrote:uhhhh, aside from hosting it, it's cause it says so in the link I provided, lol. :lol:
Yeah, AWESOME!

... but I hope to make PinCon2018!